1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

URL Rewrite and IBLs

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Hodgedup, Apr 29, 2008.

If you have existing links to a dynamic URL, plan on rewriting it, and plan on adding new links to the “clean” URL what is the best way to utilize the existing inbound links plus the new links you will be getting to the “clean” URL?

For example let’s say I have site.com/ProductInfos.aspx?cid=105&id=1837

That URL is getting rewritten to site.com/seat-covers

I have preexisting inbound links that I have no control over to site.com/ ProductInfos.aspx?cid=105&id=1837 and plan on getting links to site.com/seat-covers.

Is there a way to combine the “link juice” to benefit only site.com/seat-covers ?

Hodgedup, Apr 29, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  2. soundous

soundous Peon

Best Answers:
    soundous, Apr 29, 2008 IP
    Hodgedup likes this.
  3. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I don't need help rewriting them though. I need to know what to do with the redirect from an SEO point of view.

If I do a 301 redirect from the old page to the new page how are the inbound links treated? Are the links from the old page that 301 redirects added to the new page? Does the PR from the old page replace the PR of the new page or does it supplement it? Or does only part of the PR from the old page get transferred to the new page?

4. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The 301 redirect will pass over all the value in time. Basically when someone clicks on the link in search results they are 301 redirected to the new URL. However, you don't need to make a seperate 301 redirect because you can do that in the actual re-write code itself. If you need an example let me know.

astup1didiot, Apr 29, 2008 IP
    Hodgedup likes this.
  5. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you. Yeah I think I kind of poorly worded everything. I won't be doing the code writing so that's why I'm not really that familiar with the exact process.

The goal is to get the new rewritten page ranked. So should link building wait until after the page has been rewritten or does it even matter? (I'm asking this because the entire site is undergoing some changes, including the rewrite, and won't be finished for a few months.

buffalo likes this.
  6. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If the re-writes are done properly they'll include the 301 redirect already. Continue to build backlinks, just point them to the new URLs when they are available, till then the old URL is fine; search engines will pass over all the value in due time. You may see a small decrease in search results for a short period of time. This is normal.

astup1didiot, Apr 29, 2008 IP