1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pyramid Linking - a new way to build static, one way links for free

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by mad4, Mar 8, 2006.

1. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have to start marketing this stronger now!

joeychgo, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  2. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes!

Otherwise members will be pissed for not getting links and will remove their links and the whole program will crash ...

Ok, let me place some more links for ya.

Jim_Westergren, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  3. adamjthompson

adamjthompson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a simple solution: Allow users to specifically decline to link to specific sites. I would really like that option anyway, so that I can choose not to link to sites that are outside my sub category, etc.

Or, you could put a "report this site" link.

adamjthompson, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    All good points......I will make the changes.:)

mad4, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  5. Fret-Less

Fret-Less Active Member

Best Answers:
    Loving the changes. Thanks!

Fret-Less, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  6. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mad4 have you gotten a screenshot of when the menu and content area overlaps? It was mentioned before and now I've seen it "live", just want to make sure you're on top of it.

Perrow, Mar 29, 2006 IP
    mad4 likes this.
  7. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not seen a screenshot yet, can you email or PM?:)

mad4, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  8. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Jim_Westergren, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  9. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah now I have a screenshot I see that, no wonder I couldn't find the error. :)

mad4, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  10. adamjthompson

adamjthompson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm very pleased with how quickly I get my links for 0 PR link pages. My PR 3 link pages are getting their links back VERY slowly, though. :p

adamjthompson, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  11. powerblast

powerblast Peon

Best Answers:
    Great idea! I will check it out

powerblast, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  12. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    That's normal, the higher the PR is, the rarer the pages are to find.

tomzx, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  13. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    also it depends on what category you are in. since your incoming link essentially dpends on who signs up under that category.

devin, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  14. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This won't work. Saying that the last person to sign up won't get links is deceptive. Let's say it is a two for one link, with everybody putting up just one link in exchange for two back. First person signs up, he gets it easy. Next two people that sign up, both link to him, and get links from the next 4 people. Those 4 people are 3rd tier. It has to progress like this to continue to work. It requires that 8 people sign up in the 4th tier for all of the 3rd tier to get thier links. Follow this through, and required signups, just to support the tier above them, are:
    16 (5th tier)
    32 (6th tier)
    64 (7th tier)
    128 (8th tier)
    256 (9th tier)
    512 (10th tier)
    1024 (11th tier)
    2048 (12th tier)
    4096 (13th tier)

It's not the last person who doesn't get the links they signed up for, it's the second to last tier. Assuming it makes it that far, which depends on how much it is promoted, it will probably collapse somewhere between the 10th and 11th tier, which would mean around 1000 people will get screwed (all of tier 10 and half of tier 11, since signups will stop about then).

Once that happens, the pyramid will collapse from the bottom up as people pull out.

Saying that it's not illegal because you're not screwing anybody is bull. Saying it's not illegal because it's links instead of hard currency is bull. Links have very real value.

Btw, I'm not pissed or anything, and I'm not saying that you're out to deliberately screw people over. I'm going on the assumption that maybe you truely didn't do the math, maybe have never heard of Amway, that maybe you never investigated this sort of thing before.

Just trying to be helpful. :)

-Michael

mvandemar, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  15. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ^ but that is impractical. And there is a constant stream of new webmasters and people adding more potential links for new sites and so on.

Lpspider, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  16. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also -

One problem I encontered. Basically I created multiple campaigns for the same site in an attempt to use different key phrases for the same site. Now I have some sites linking to my site twice. Not a bad thing, but sort of a waste. Is there any way I can fix this/prevent this in the future?

Possibly add a feature to add different keywords?

Lpspider, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  17. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a good point that this will continue to slow down as the network grows, but there are an aweful lot of sites out there, even within DP...

And I think this will be a fluctuating thing. If it is constantly promoted, it may fall down again, but eventually it will strike a balance where the number of new people signing up is equal to the number of people taking down their sites, or domains that run out etc. etc.

The longer the remaining people stay in, they will slowly climb the ladder as the ranks thin out. They will continually get links as people leave, and as people add new sites they've created, more links will come in.

We here all make multiple sites, and we continue to build sites which will add link space. At the same time, we all have old sites which just die, or the domains expire, so once they are gone, the double amount of links they require will no longer be needed.

So, the balance seem to me to be at the point where there are constantly twice as many sites being added as are expiring. This *will* happen at some point, or will fluctuate around a bit, speeding up or slowing down, but it is achievable.

ie. if one site expires, with 10 links placed, that is 20 less links requiring placement on the network. Therefore, for every site which expires, that is two less new ones requiring being created in order to maintain the balance.

So, in conclusion after a somewhat long and rambling argument, this *is* sustainable, as long as there are pages which dissapear, or are deindexed, or just have the coop links removed at 1/2 the rate or greater of new sites being added. Of course, we cannot expect this to be achieved at any point in the next year or two, until pages start dying naturally, but perhaps some of the webmasters here may want to consider removing coop links from pages that they are no longer promoting, or which are dead, in order to free up the space for the future of the program.

Caydel, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  18. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a question. I just signed up and said I wanted to put 30 links on my site. However I only got two suggestions. So I put those two links up and now what?

Will I get 4 links back? Will I get 60 links back? Will I get more suggested links in the future?

jim, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  19. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    If you offer to place 30, and you only recieve 4 suggestions, that means that you will still recieve 60 backlinks.

This is where I can see the system breaking down - everybody offering to place 30 links, with very few being available. If this continues, the number of links required to fill existing obligations would be impossible to fulfill.

Mad4 - perhaps you should cut away the extra backlinks given when there aren't as many links available to be placed as requested.

Since there are now options to add more links as necessary, if someone requested 30, but only 4 were suggested, they would only recieve 8 backlinks. Then, in the future, they could add the remaining 26 links as they became available.

I think this would add alot to the future maintainability of the program.

Caydel, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  20. Oneribbedcondom

Oneribbedcondom Peon

Best Answers:
    Ill give it a go, seems like a good idea. :D

Oneribbedcondom, Mar 29, 2006 IP