1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Searching Blogs by Bar Code! Will website be next?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by webidner, Mar 28, 2006.

I found out last week about Internet Blog Serial Numbers and i think they are awesome, maybe too innovative for right now but im sure the use will extend as for instance just putting the bar code of your blog or website in your business card and later people just use their cell phone to read the bar code and visit your website or blog. Instead of putting a long URL or to avoid typos or that people forget the extension of your website.

http://japaneseidndomains.blogspot.com

Im sure it is good news for non-latin alphabet people like chinese, japanese, etc; in fact as good as IDNs! :D

Anyway, Will websites be next? A bar code on every website as it is happening on Japan?

webidner, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  2. donwebcorleone

donwebcorleone Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, i agree they are a very good webtool that can be implemented in many ways.

donwebcorleone, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  3. webidner

webidner Peon

Best Answers:
    i wonder if im one of the fews here who see interesting the idea to identify blogs by serial number? it seems to me this is a great idea, i do believe it can be developed very soon to be accessible from a bar code reader like the ones used by some japanese cell phones or as i said to use it on business cards. Terrible idea the IBSN? i think this is the right path versus long domain names.

webidner, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  4. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    So instead of an easy to remember URL, you have to carry around a card with a barcode on it to scan? And our phones will need scanners? What's wrong with good old hyperlinks?

Mister Tut, Mar 28, 2006 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    This was attempted way back in web 1.0... I remember my dad actually bought one. You hooked up a little barcode reader to a serial port and then when you saw an ad or something in a magazine, you scanned it and it brought up the appropriate website and page. I can't imagine it doing any better now.

TheHoff, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I remember reading about that in Wired.

sarahk, Mar 29, 2006 IP