1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[2008] Which directory software is best?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by digitalspace, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    which directory software is best?
    speed, seo

digitalspace, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  2. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    phpLinkDirectory is best IMO. So many mods available for that and so many templates also available for that. Support is also very good at their own forums. Both free and paid versions available so beginners try it out with free one and later on buying paid one.

DON.

deluxdon, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  3. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please search for all the previous posts on this topic!

swedal, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  4. dhruv37

dhruv37 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with DON.

phplinkdirectory.com is the best directory script. we are using the same on our web directories.

dhruv37, Apr 27, 2008 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  5. M.IMRAN

M.IMRAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Same here....
    Phpld is a very good directory software in speed and seo. I am personally using this script.

M.IMRAN, Apr 27, 2008 IP
    dvduval and deluxdon like this.
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With regards to your request in order:

speed: Tolra
    This is by far the fastest script I've seen to date.

seo: Tolra has 3-4 different levels of SEO control, phplynx, esyndicat, phpld, site-sift

Pretty much all directory scripts these days are seo equivalents

an0n, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  7. hotpop

hotpop Peon

Best Answers:
    esyndicat pro 2.2 is my favorite.

hotpop, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  8. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    phplinkdirectory is the best, but it's also the most feasible which will be attacked by hackers. Maybe you shall try it's paid version, which is v3+.

hhheng, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    This question gets asked so many times and so many answers are the same. I wouldn't be doing my job on here if I never put my 2 cents worth in. Tolra as an0n said does look fast but I've not seen any sites with any loads on there to really put it to the test. Most scripts are coded using the same language and in the same manner and are only as fast as the server they are on. SEO wise, you only need one level of SEO, the one the engines like. They seem to like phpLynx.

JamieG, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  10. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PHPLD is best one i liked so far!

jezzz, Apr 28, 2008 IP
    dvduval likes this.
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ive used both phpLD and Indexscript, they are both good. Regarding speed im not sure what you mean, regarding seo well plenty to help you with that, dont rely on a script for seo though, that is your responsibility.

If you dont rank well in the future its not because of the script choice.

pipes, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  12. greatlogix

greatlogix Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you can spend some $$$ than phpMyDirectory is the best directory script especially if you want to have a niche directory site.

greatlogix, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  13. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I've looked at most of the scripts. I was primarily interested in scripts that had comments/reviews/ratings integrated into the script as well as functions that would allow me to place listings (such as Latest Listings, Top Listings, etc.) in the front page of the directory. I wanted these features for SEO purposes. Wordpress integration was also a plus for me. So far, IndexU, www.nicecoder.com, looks like the best for me. The features included in their latest release are outlined here. Bruce manages their forums and he does a great job in quickly getting back to questions.

Rich

richrf, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  14. Punct

Punct Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello, i have been using phpld for about a week now, and i am very pleased with the software. I was using phld version 2 and i have did the upgrade to phpld version 3 just by reading the documentation. Maybe you want to try it for free first, just to have an ideea about phpld (the version 2 is free) and if you like it you may wanna buy the version 3.
    Just get a name, a host, install phpld and thas it.

regards,
    cristian

Punct, Apr 28, 2008 IP
    dvduval likes this.
  15. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    the one that fits your needs the best :)
    I recommend phpLD 3.3 ( with no affiliation )

hyper, Apr 28, 2008 IP
    dvduval likes this.
  16. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree. I looked at successful directories first and then identified key characteristics that I think made them successful. I then look at various scripts and tried to find one that would best support the features I was looking for, had decent support, had a reasonably long history with reasonable customer feedback, and a good technical architecture. I also looked for tight integration between all functions, since I did not want to piece a site together. It is too difficult to maintain and debug a jigsaw architecture. I started with with a site design, and some basic technical guidelines, and then worked from there.

Rich

richrf, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  17. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Admirable Rich, but in reality how many people are at your level regarding code debugging, how many want to be for that matter. Most people want an out of the box script that does what it says it can without little fuss and with as little outlay as possible.

Successful directories are usually ones who try not to leave a trace of what script they are using as it offers a far more professional image and takes away the risk of bad neighbourhood linking that's so heavily frowned upon by G.

JamieG, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  18. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    It does depend upon what someone wants to do. But without some facility for good, fresh content, the directory most probably will do very poorly among visitors and with the search engines. So a simple directory script may fit those who are looking just to get some site up and going, but to make it attractive, much more is required. I don't think it should be difficult to develop a script like this out of the box. IndexU appears to be the closest to what I am looking for, but I believe there is still room for improvement. I'll be hiring someone to add some customization, but I think there is room in the directory script market to build something that fully meets good directory requirements without customization. Maybe IndexU will eventually get there.

Rich

richrf, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Horse for courses Rich. You seem to place great faith in indexu Rich which is fine. I'm on the side of phpLynx and more-so as its going open for people like you to have a crack at it. I don't think people should discount it because it has an awful lot to offer having in mind it really is still only in its infancy.

Anyway, wishing you success with whatever script you use, my goal is not to see who can jump the highest, its to see that everyone gets the chance to jump. :)

Nos da ich i (That's 'goodnight to you' in Welsh) :)

JamieG, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  20. crumblepie

crumblepie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like phpLB - I'm a newcomer to the directories arena, and it was really easy for me to set up - links are approved automatically so I don't need to spend time on it other than promotion

crumblepie, May 2, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.