1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Simple Wordpress Question

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by kloop, Apr 27, 2008.

I basically have no experience in editing CSS files for Wordpress.... So, I wanted to know how can I widen my Sidebar on my website..if you need to see the site it the first link in my signature......Also, is there a Site that can help me learn how to edit Wordpress Templates :confused:

kloop, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    pipes, Apr 27, 2008 IP
    kloop likes this.
  3. kloop

kloop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    kloop, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  4. EnPassant

EnPassant Active Member

Best Answers:
    Basically edit your style.css file and find the width of the sidebar. Work around that. I mean increase the "width" of your sidebar inside layout. it should look like this

#right_siderbar {
    width: 200px;
    }

change the width to something wider .

EnPassant, Apr 27, 2008 IP
    kloop likes this.
  5. Houdy

Houdy Peon

Best Answers:
    The overall width of the theme is dictated by the background image for the header at 950px: http://www.repcodes.com/wp-content/themes/coolmist/images/header.gif

So you will need to either widen the entire theme and then edit the header image to fit or take some some space from the content area and add it to the sidebar. Doing the latter may effect the large images you have on some of the posts and cause them not to fit.

I take no responsibility for what happens to your blog if this completely screws up your theme. What I am about to type looks like it may work but without experimenting with the theme I am not sure and don't know what other items can be effected by this edit. So be sure to backup your files prior to editing or upload the theme on a test blog.

To rob from the content and add to the sidebar start by backing up all the theme files. Then edit style.css to reduce the content area, on your theme it looks like this is the area:

.post-wrapper {
    padding-left: 10px;
    width: 676px;
    margin-left: -20px;
    Code (markup):
    try reducing the width by the amount you want to add to the sidebar shown below.

#sidebar
    {
    	float: right;
    	padding: 0px 15px 10px 10px;
    	width: 210px;
    	margin-right: 15px;
    	margin-top: 0px;
    Code (markup):
    This may effect other items that will need tweaked as well and if it totally screws up your theme just paste the unedited code from the backup back into the theme.

You can also try to reduce the padding on both to gain a bit of space.

Houdy, Apr 27, 2008 IP
    kloop likes this.
  6. kloop

kloop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    + Rep Added to both thank for the help!!!!!

kloop, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  7. od3n

od3n Active Member

Best Answers:
    i can help you with online tutoring and hands on method. if u prefer, add me on msn/ym. glad to hear from you.

od3n, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  8. WhoJayBe

WhoJayBe Peon

Best Answers:
    And if you want, I can personally help you with any questions that I can answer in that area... but it seems other people already answered your sidebar question. Good luck!

WhoJayBe, Apr 27, 2008 IP