1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bluefind Directory

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by GuyFromChicago, Jun 12, 2004.

1. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, my categorie (and others) now show nothing on the toolbar, and using the SEO Chat PR tool it gives a change from 5 to 0... Now this is really bad :(

eduardomaio, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  2. UKZJ007

UKZJ007 Guest

Best Answers:
    I have 4 sponsered listings in good cats, one is PR7 - The PR doesn't seem to be passing well imo. I am also getting like 1 unique visitor per day if i'm lucky.

UKZJ007, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  3. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Something weird is going on.

Both my listings were PR7 & PR6

http://www.bluefind.com/dir/2128.php
    http://www.bluefind.com/dir/2886.php

Now when you go to these pages the toolbar is showing gray.

When I've looked in Google these pages are no longer indexed in Google - which means I've had dropped 2 very good links to the site. My own PR has reduced from PR6 to PR5 which could be one or the reason why it's reduced.

DarrenC, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  4. WilliamC

WilliamC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    bluefind was penalized almost a month ago now over a weekend. You are just seeing the after effects now.

WilliamC, Jan 1, 2005 IP
    rustybrick, SEGuru and claudia Hudson like this.
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Fist I have heard about it. was it for buying/selling PR? Do you know of any discussion on the subject?

GuyFromChicago, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  6. WilliamC

Best Answers:
    I think it was discussed at seo-guy's place, if I remember correctly. Quite the few people noticed that the links were not helping them at all, then it was noticed that almost all of their pages were dropped from cache and dropped into the supplemental index. John came on to say later that they had been talking to someone at google and it was just a glitch, and it was being fixed. It hasnt been. Their pages still do not pass PR or ranking ability either apparently, and now, after this PR update, it appears they never will. Obviously PR updates are not influenced by pages being added to the supplemental index or anything else except inbound links, so a glitch won't explain this one away.

WilliamC, Jan 2, 2005 IP
    jfj3rd likes this.
  7. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I've seen a few posts where people showed that Google was reporting links from Bluefind as actual links, but it's never happened for any of the sites I listed.

I have a sports site listed here and just noticed there's no cache for that page anymore...

It's never appeared as a link to my site in Google, but the page was at least cached until recently. My link was the second or third one listed on that page too so it's been there for months.

Wonder if Google whacked them for buying and selling PR? They built the directories PR primarily from advertising with Internet.com right? Wonder how that fits into this situation.

claudia Hudson likes this.
  8. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No offence to you WilliamC, but after John Scott slamed you and banned you in his forum for something about your business (something I know nothing about or have any opinion on), I would tend to look for information / comments on Bluefind from someone who doesn't have a beef with John.

I'm not defending John or Bluefind, or saying you are wrong or are painting the situation one way or another, but while you have a major beef with eachother I'd like to hear comments from others on this one thanks. Just the same as I would look for comments from people other than John on your business.

Dominic, Jan 2, 2005 IP
    claudia Hudson likes this.
  9. WilliamC

Best Answers:
    Domenic, I agree 100%. There are a number of threads on the issue out there, of which I am not even a participant.

WilliamC, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  10. WilliamC

Best Answers:
    I would think it was more the way they sold the listings, talking up the PR aspect of it all.

WilliamC, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    So just out of interest if they are penalised and they have linked to you, you can't be penalised .. right?

I'm right to also say if we lost a PR7 and PR6 links this could be why our site has reduced to PR5? (along with other links that could of reduced on other sites!)

DarrenC, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  12. Dominic

Best Answers:
    If a site is penalised, IMO it cant hurt you if they link to you.

It could be the reason for the PR decrease if that is what has happened.

We have seen (last update) when yahoo went from 10 to 9, there seemed to be a redistribution of the total pr weight within the index, effect many sites which were weak pr5's going to pr4s and so on.

Also noticed a change in the value of internal links [less powerful].

Also noticed internal pages which had links from other sites enjoyed higher than expected pr and serps.

A lot of changes really, but I am not in any kind of position to say I think this is how it works now, just what I have noticed with our sites.

I am waiting for someone to publish an argument or results from testing to suggest TSPR has been implemented though, that would be an interesting read.

Dominic, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  13. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    What's TSPR Dominic? :)

DarrenC, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  14. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    Quoting myself from the V7N forums...

I'm now waiting for an answer from John to see what will he say about this issue.

eduardomaio, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  15. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Topic Sensitive Page Rank (TSPR)

Google Search

Dominic, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  16. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm the only listing in a cat that was created for me a couple of months ago. That page was of course a PR0 but with the new update has gone to PR3.

I have been extremely happy with bluefind.com (except that now I find this page is no longer being cached. hhmmmm...)

longcall911, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  17. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    This was the reply from John...

I feel like someone is throwing sand to my eyes...

Anyway... let's see how this is going to end... it's a one fee submission so...

eduardomaio, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  18. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    That's the part that sparked my interest too. Up until recently (this post is made me look and notice) the page I was listed on was cached...now it's not. I knew from the beginning that there's a risk associated with spending money on direcory submissions, so I'm not complaining about. More curious as to what is happening and why. If they were penalized for some reason, knowing that reason could potentially save any of us some time and aggravation in the future. If they are not penalized, what's with all the pages that are no longer indexed :confused:

(I have two other listing at Bluefind and neither one of them shows a cache of the page either)

19. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I've read in other forums, the directory had a over 20,000 pages removed from the Google index - this was due to a "glitch" in Google, according to Google, and they quickly included the pages back in the index.

Firstly, I'm very surprised Google have admitted that they had a glitch, as they are very careful not to give too much away to webmasters. All I know is that $80 worth of links I paid for (2 links) are no use.

I know that there is a risk with directories, but something has gone wrong, maybe they are being penalised for buying PR (Links) Who knows?

DarrenC, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  20. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to see where they would actually admit to a glitch, I don't see it happening to be honest...

schlottke, Jan 2, 2005 IP