1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

yahoo changed minimum bid policy today

Discussion in 'Yahoo Search Marketing' started by cscott5288, Apr 18, 2008.

The email i received from yahoo:

Pricing Update:
    Minimum Bids are no Longer Fixed at $.10

Starting today, the minimum bids for some Sponsored Search keywords are no longer fixed at $.10. Minimum bids can now be lower or higher than $.10. Content Match minimum bids currently will remain at $.10. Throughout the next week, you may start noticing new minimum bids on some of your keywords. You will be notified by email and within your account when the status of any of your keywords is affected.

The amount set as your minimum bid on a keyword in Sponsored Search can vary depending on multiple factors, such as:
    • The number of bidders and bid amounts in the particular keyword market
    • The quality of your keywords, or their relevance to advertisers, as measured by the quality of the ads associated with them

How it Works
    • Your keyword is active—or eligible for display—when your current bid is equal to or greater than your minimum bid for that keyword.
    • Your keyword becomes inactive if your bid falls below your minimum, and won't be displayed unless your minimum bid is met.
    • You'll be notified when your bid is too low, and will have up to several days to adjust your bid.

This is good news!

cscott5288, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  2. letsfun

letsfun Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not a good news. At the end of days, you have to pay more to get same amount of clicks due to higher minimum bid. It is about time to learn Google Adwords as YSM will just follow whatever Adwords do.

letsfun, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  3. mystickcal

mystickcal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you retarded? How is this good news? Yahoo is retarded. It would be one thing if Yahoo has an algorithm that worked and you knew exactly what you would have to do to increase your quality score to decrease your min bids.

However, for example and I talk about this in my latest blog post, I can throw a bunch of keywords in to some ad groups, throw in 4 or 5 generic ads on the niche and get ad quality scores of 4 or 5 out of 5 bars.

I can laser-target my keywords and ads and get ad quality scores of 2 or 3 bars out of 5.

Yahoo's algorithm is a failure when it comes to their little joke called a quality score algorithm and its a joke for them to even try this without first correcting the million other problems they have.

I for one will not be using Yahoo while they play this stupid game they are playing with Microsoft. This is just another goal to try and get more money from Microsoft, even the big boys are calling it out like that. Just take a look at techcrunch or YSM's own blog in the comments.

Yahoo is retarded!

mystickcal, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  4. axa

axa Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm,,, i guess the impact can be seen on the decreasing of Parked Publisher earnings,,, :p

axa, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  5. tanenqq

tanenqq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good new, thank

tanenqq, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  6. gagagoog

gagagoog Peon

Best Answers:
    I am already seeing the effects of this... 200 of my keywords' min req bids have increased - one keyword that I used to pay $0.15 for before is now asking a minimum of $2.78!

gagagoog, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  7. dmbjrjr

dmbjrjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    This hit me hard as well. I'm not sure I like these changes that they've put into place.

dmbjrjr, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  8. axa

axa Active Member

Best Answers:
    goshh,,, yahoo publishers should got extra bucksss from this policy

axa, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  9. cscott5288

cscott5288 Active Member

Best Answers:
    First off, im not retarded.

Second, just because it's bad news for the publishers, doesn't mean it's bad news for the advertisors or vice versa.

so either way you put it someone is making more money (not yahoo)

cscott5288, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  10. JesterMagic

JesterMagic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo better get things straightened out. My Yahoo account basically stopped sending me clicks yesterday afternoon. Their minimum bids are way to high, about twiced as high as I have then currently set at and I hardly make any money at that price point. Their minimum bids also are a lot higher than googles.

I refuse to up my bids!

JesterMagic, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  11. busismon

busismon Peon

Best Answers:
    bad news for me.I got this e-mail on last week.

busismon, Apr 29, 2008 IP