1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help needed to move forum from one server to another

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by icare, Mar 22, 2006.

hello friends

we have installed vbulletin 3.5.3 on our website and we have also installed some hacks into it to facilitate certain aspects. now that our hosting has expired, we have taken hosting from www.dreamhost.com and we wish to transfer our entire website forum on this new server hosting. now will you pls answer some querries pls :
    1. what is the procedure of shifting the entire forum with all the contents without disturbing the users base or the content of the forum?
    2. pls tell the procedure considering the fact that i dont have shell access of one server and the plateform and working of both the servers is different.
    3. pls elaborate the procedure as we know less about the procedures and we will shift the very first site.

thanks in anticipation.

icare, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  2. Slapyo

Slapyo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since you don't have shell access it's the long way. But basically you will download your public_html folder, it's probably pretty big. Next you will want to get a copy of your database.

You can use the script below, but will have to modify it a little bit and then run it. It will create a DB dump for you. You'll use phpMyAdmin to creat the database with the username and password. Then you will import via the .sql file you have. Now if the name of the database changed, or the username or password changed, then you will have to open up the config file in vB and make those changes. If everything stayed the same it should work.
    http://tips-scripts.com/?tip=sql_backups#tip

Slapyo, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  3. gprime

gprime Guest

Best Answers:
    If you can wait a few weeks, I can have it done for you. No charge of course.

gprime, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  4. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If it's the move I'm thinking of, a staff member of mine has already taken care of it

GTAce, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  5. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:

Yes its been moved.... thanks

icare, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  6. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks for yor offer too. I appreciate it, but it was already been moved.

icare, Mar 28, 2006 IP