1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this a custom Google Ad or is this guy cheating?

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by token20, Mar 26, 2006.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-drm.htm

I was wondering if anyone knows if that Ad style he is using for his 336 ad is one of those custom legit ads that Google helps you setup, or if that piece of javascript he is injecting into the Ad is manipulating the ad against the TOS of Adsense.

Can we all build our ads like that? If so, I want to as that looks so much better then the standard Adsense unit.

token20, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  2. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    It is an interesting technique. He has instructed AdSense to deliver the output as javascript using the instruction in the AdSense javascript:

google_ad_output = "js";

Code (markup):
    I do not know if this an undocumented feature or something being revealed to developers.

He uses javascript from the imported script to grab and parse the output of the AdSense ad and rewrite it to the page. This allows him to apply his own CSS definitions to the ad's headline and text.

The ad content is written to a table with an image background. The text is written into the table rows with styles applied to TD and LI elements within each row.

To the extent Google says not to tamper with its javascript, this could be a violation of the TOS. I would be hesistant to proceed with such a project until and unless I had their permission.

I suspect Google's concern with this is that people could manipulate which ads are being displayed and even the content of the ads themselves. It is a simple step from parsing the ad content and redisplaying it to changing what it shown -- and to tracking what advertisers are being shown on your website.

clancey, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  3. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing that he's a premium publisher. It's the first time I see the code like that, so I highly doubt that everyone will be able to make use of it.

Crusader, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  4. huntz

huntz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those ads look fantastic i wish we could all use them and raise the bottom line.

huntz, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  5. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, definitely looks like a premium publisher to me. while Alexa can be weak, take a look at his stats and you will see he probably makes MORE than enough pageviews per month to hit the mark and be a premium publisher. This may not be his only site as well, which would give extra pageviews. Definitely not tags a regular publisher wants to be using if they want to stay in the program :)

fsmedia, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  6. huntz

huntz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That guy must be making a fortune.

huntz, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  7. FreeFox

FreeFox Peon

Best Answers:
    I think he is premium , just look this:

He can set max. number of ads in Ad box.

FreeFox, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  8. FreeFox

FreeFox Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at Sourceforge.net premium Adsense code...

Looks like random chars :)

FreeFox, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  9. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ads blend into the site very nice, I agree think he must be a premuim publisher.

He has over 27 000 page...:eek:

His CTR must be impressive.

Subzero, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  10. wwwbug

wwwbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Any change for google ads code is not allowed!

wwwbug, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  11. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    WiseGeek is a premium publisher, as is rapidshare.de and about.com. they are allowed to change the ads format and font to however they like.

devin, Mar 26, 2006 IP