1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did you get started?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by TravisReynolds, Apr 21, 2008.

How did you get started making money online? Did you save up a lot of money and start a business online, or do you do any freelancing work?

How much did you start making, and how much are you making now?

I just started freelance writing about a month ago, and and am making a few hundred a month:)

I'm curious as how others got started and what they are doing.

TravisReynolds, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  2. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got a free hosting account with the old owner of websiteunited.com (they went bust and i think took over by someone else) they gave me a free subdomain and a small account which i used to learn html, and made some designs, i sold 1 or 2 of the designs for $5 and also sold a few links as the site got PR3 withthis money i then bought a domain and invested the rest into making a decent site (UKhardhouse.info) $2 domainand then the other $20 or so i used for 1 months advertising and for someone to help me with a design. I then sold the site 6 months later for $130 or so and this got me well under way.

I now make around $30-50 a month plus around another $500 a year buying and selling other sites. This is more of a hobby but if i can get to be earning around $2000 a month i would give up m main job

tony84, Apr 21, 2008 IP
    SEOLinker likes this.
  3. Colataxsolutions

Colataxsolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    I've started my website around November 2007. I didn't get any business until January. Now that tax season is over I have to rely more on QuickBooks consultations and my bookkeeping service. I look for freelance jobs and use free marketing techniques to bring in clients since I work and go to school full-time. So far the money I made is ok. However, the experience and references that I gained are priceless. I also got my first conversion from a Google search the other day!

Colataxsolutions, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  4. Tooschee

Tooschee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I first started in my local hometown, dida a 2/3 sites for free, just to make some popularity of my services. Moslty graphic freelancing.sites coding. After that, I've spent some time on google and found good freelancing sites, that for now pays well, also I'm doing from time to time something on DP.

Now, I'm trying with blogs and advertising/affiliates industry. Will see if this will bring some good revenue :).

Tooschee, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  5. manisht07

manisht07 Peon

Best Answers:
    Mine is kind of fairy tale.

I started 6 months ago on dp without knowing anything then i started doing forum posting and got scammed of 15$ straight away then finally earned my first few bucks after that I started reinvesting in domains and finally within 3 months I had 200 domains to my name and recently I jumped into web mastering.So i can say that times are good for me.And also I earn above 1xxx$ constantly from last 3 months by writing content.

So that was mine story whats yours?

manisht07, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  6. TravisReynolds

TravisReynolds Guest

Best Answers:
    Haha, I already told you mine.

These are cool though guys

TravisReynolds, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  7. manisht07

manisht07 Peon

Best Answers:
    just stick to article writing.
    Also i have a site which will accepts your articles whenever you write and 24 hours.If you want the details pm me.Thats how i earn constantly.They pay a little low though.

I would advice you to get into ready made content.I can help you out with that if you need any help just pm me.I am just a pm away.thanx.

manisht07, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  8. tidbits

tidbits Peon

Best Answers:
    I got started because I liked to eat out. About 15 years ago there were no websites available that would provide a comprehensive listing of restaurants in my area, so I created one.

I paid too much for the web host and I didn't know what I was doing. Since then I learned quite a bit and changed hosting companies to a much cheaper plan. The site isn't a real money maker, but at least I can find places to eat.

tidbits, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  9. Sygon

Sygon Peon

Best Answers:
    About 4 years ago I used to play an online game, every body was creating fansites about it so I wanted to create one, Learn all my skills from that freelanced and earnt a bit of money then i made projects to sell :)

Sygon, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  10. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    What are some of the types of sites you have for your 200 domains? Also, do they make money from ads or some other way? Just curious, as I am a student web design freelancer but looking to get into doing freelance work with being a webmaster of a few sites as well.

Ascendancy, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  11. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Freelancing still doing that ... as main income ....

w3bmaster, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  12. nick2007

nick2007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started 8 years ago. And I have to say that I first had an idea how to earn online and then I only purchased a computer to enter my idea at live. In a nut shell, I made my first 200 bucks within 3 months after I purchased the computer. My idea worked on me during 8 months and brought me over 5 grand of USD for that time. Really, that was easy money. Of course, I go on earnining online, but it's not easy money like my first 5 grand was.

nick2007, Apr 22, 2008 IP
    SEOLinker likes this.
  13. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    I started from scratch with blogger.com and after earning $500, I purchased my own domain and hosting... promotion is not a problem to me..

silveraden, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  14. heasymo

heasymo Peon

Best Answers:
    And How do you make money with them?

heasymo, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  15. damircea

damircea Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well ... I started from a very low point. I was in a MLM - not running it .. only working for it! After a while I was in forex and websites.

damircea, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  16. sam_m

sam_m Peon

Best Answers:
    i started with forums it taught me about advertising

sam_m, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  17. students-forum

students-forum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's an awesome story. That's the way it should be done! On another note, the people who are making money online from freelancing. What websites do you use to find work?:p

students-forum, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  18. amol_cool

amol_cool Guest

Best Answers:
    I just landed to DP once from Google for searching something. I registered at DP, but didn't pay much attention to it at first. But then I got into article writing business, forum posting and other such stuffs. It's my 3rd month at DP now :) and I have earned around $175 till now. They are too less I know but I don't give this much time either ;)
    Just launched a new site (you can find in my siggy) and trying to develop it now and earn some $$ from it. Either by Adsense or selling it after some months .. This is it :)

amol_cool, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  19. anthonyn

anthonyn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My main intention of registering with DP was to earn money. I have been earning money through article writing. I now have my constant set of cutomers who give me regular work. Besides this, I also take up fresh article writing assignments from day to day customers.

anthonyn, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  20. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started collecting pictures, and doing a small site after college '97. Back then, the web had a lot of free hosting, and few rules. Around 99 or 2000 the web changed, and you had to "pay to play". A lot of sites like Xoom, and Geocities started charging, or enforcing their TOS.

By that time, my site had grown a lot, and I switched to a membership model. I started charging, and people started paying. Over time, most of my competition faded away. There were 70-80 sites in the niche. Now there are four serious players, and I own two of them.

Then in early 2000's, tried TGP, adult pay site, affilliate, adsense, PPC, domains, and some other things. Some made money, others didn't. Learned, tweaked, etc. Then in 2003 or 2004 I decided I wanted to do online full time. Had some nice money coming in from the memberships, and I am single, no kids, no house payment at the time. So I left telco.

In the initial months I picked up an investor who gave me $3k, and I started shooting adult content. Over the first year it was rough at times, but I redesigned my celeb site, and more memberships came. Also sold things that did not make me a lot of money, and spent time on what did. Kept working, and tweaking. By the 9 month mark in the first year, things blew up!

Sales have double, and tripled each years since. So it's all good now. Still produce adult, and do the celebrity. Now I am working on more things I want for fun since I make more than I had planned, and have a lot left over to reinvest in my company.

I remember in my first year full time, I was tight on green, so I had to fill in the gaps with work. Lots of it. 7 days a week, 16-18 hour days. Body suffered for it. But eventually paid off. Now, through scripts, and automation. Faster machines, and upload connections, I work maybe 2 hours a day on average. Except for when doing shoots.

Barefootsies, Apr 26, 2008 IP
    Tim_Myth likes this.