1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I extract a tar.gz file using FTP?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by crumblepie, Apr 20, 2008.

I have a tar.gz file that is 900MB. I need to extract it, but the file manager will take forever (by forever I mean at least 2 days, uploading itself took 5-6 hours).

Anyone knows how to extract a tar.gz file using FTP? Or any other ways you may know of besides SSH.

Solved! View solution.
    crumblepie, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can't with FTP.

RectangleMan, Apr 21, 2008 IP
    Then your file manager might have trouble. Uploading can take long time, due to your internet connection, but file manager can extract .tar.gz file fast.

gate2vn, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  4. st1905

st1905 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually you can extract tar.gz with ftp using php scripting.

<?php
    exec('tar -xzf nameofthefile.tar.gz',$ret);
    ?>

Code (markup):
    Place this in a folder where you place your .tar.gz file and chmod 777 or 666 that folder. (Revert it to chmod 755 after you finish)

If you want to use a gui tool here it is http://ftp-unzip.com/ZipDeploy/

st1905, Apr 21, 2008 IP
    crumblepie likes this.
  5. gate2vn

gate2vn Peon

Best Answers:
    That means you are using web server, not FTP server. Do not merge them by that way. Also, that script requires exec function enabled, that not all vendors do due to security reason

gate2vn, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  6. st1905

st1905 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

You upload a simple php file to ftp and extract it via webserver. (You`re using ftp and webserver to extract it).

Most of the paid hosts disable php safe mode so you can use it but if safe mode is enable then you can use http://ftp-unzip.com/ZipDeploy/

I dont get your point about "That means you are using web server, not FTP server"

How on earth you can get a file extracted by ftp server only ?

st1905, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  7. crumblepie

crumblepie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are right - after researching for hours to find out how I can extract the data some other way, I tried file manager and it was done in a matter of minutes!

Thank you so much! This will come in handy in the future when I have files of a bigger size to transfer. Rep added.

crumblepie, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  8. Tuliobbs

Tuliobbs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Can you please tell me how to do that? Do I place this code in any file .php? How do I change teh chmod?

Thanks!

Tuliobbs, Aug 2, 2016 IP