1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to promise my client ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by cdx, Mar 25, 2006.

Hey all...

I have a client which is interesting in a better rank in Google.
    Like many others, he wants to see results and he is able to pay a lot of money for it.

My problem is that I cannot promise any specific results. I am not aware of changing the algorithem by Google... right?

I am aware of mt abilities, but I am afraid to promise A and the client will see B.

What do you think I should do ?

Thanks in advance for any response,

Guy.

cdx, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  2. Basoone

Basoone Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont promise anything! Explain to them that it takes time to rank on Google with a competitive keyword.

Good Luck :)

//edited

Tell them if they want to see good result within a month you will use their domain name as the primary keyword :D LOL

Basoone, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  3. tfraymond

tfraymond Active Member

Best Answers:
    Always promise less than you can deliver, and deliver more than you can promise :)

In short, give him examples of the sort of thing you've done before, and the timeframe that the client will be looking at to see the different degrees of improvement. Don't promise a specific, ie. a top 10 listing in Google for an incredibly competitive keyword in 3 days :)

tfraymond, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  4. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Promise him increase in business.

Blogmaster, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  5. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In this case you can recommend them Adwords. If they are willing to pay the right amount they can expect heavy traffic. Don't waste your time prove your capabilities :D

maldives, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  6. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. If you are selling SEO and this isn't something that you cant promise, then you probably shouldn't be doing SEO. Its really the only thing that you can guarantee if you do know what you are doing.

jestep, Mar 25, 2006 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  7. bambi

bambi Peon

Best Answers:
    Howdy Guy

The web is a new concept for many people and the concept that you can't guarantee that your work will do what it is meant to do is a difficult one for them to get their head around.

But you don't want to guarantee anything because you know you can't absolutely.

Your Options For Best Results

You want to establish that you are an expert in the field and speak with some authority. You basically want to say: "No-one can guarantee Google ramkings, if they do they're full of it, and here's why you should believe me."

Then move on to:

Quantify everything - "If we get a top 10 ranking for our 3 main keywords , and get a 30% clickthrough, you will get an extra 2,000 visitors per month.

With your conversion rate of 5% that means an extra 100 sales per month. At your profit margin that equates to $5,000 per month extra profit."

Now back up that with examples of how you've done it before.

How to establish some trust:

* Testimonials
    * Case Study
    * Awards
    * Media exposure
    * Examples of articles you've written, speeches you've given, etc.

Your other option is bolder, bigger and more likely to bring bigger rewards.

Guarantee your client top 10 rankings in Google within a set period of time.

I know you're not sure you can do it.

But, it will push you to perform. It will push you to learn more and more. It will push you to get results.

* And if you get the results you get the big bucks and can build and build.
    * If you don't, you hand back what he's paid and you lose the time you took.

Is the risk/reward ratio worth it for you?

==========

One last thing.

Who would you go with?

Search Engine Guy 1: "We guarantee top 10 rankings within Google."
    Search Engine Guy 2: "We'll do the work but we're not sure if it will actually work."

Good luck with whatever way you go.

Cheers.

bambi

bambi, Mar 25, 2006 IP
    cdx likes this.
  8. 365days

365days Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't promise anything, just explain how it works and tell the truth.

365days, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You need to give them a reason to hire you. If all else fails, pay money to do ppc. Sometimes there are issues you can't control. If a client makes more money after hiring you, then that is what matters. If they want to get keywords promised, tell them that Keyterm rankings are not a guarantee that they will start making more money. (I believe that 80% of seo contracts are written to benefit and protect the company more than the client).

Blogmaster, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  10. chinaman

chinaman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Promising a guaranteed ranking is hard to do. If the field where the site is competing is not that competitive you might be able to make it work but even then, as you state correctly, you will never know what Google is up to.

If you feel not confident enough to guarantee a certain ranking within a certain time frame I wouldn't do that.

You can try to explain that there is no 100% guarantee with search engines, just as there is no 100% guarantee with advertising in a newspaper on the number of sales you get.

Also manage his expectation timewise. Even if you can improve his rankings it takes time.

Many are focused on being number 1 in Google and it's definitely a nice spot to have. Then again, I guess the most important thing to your client is having more and good quality visitors.

Focus your pitch on that. A combination of creating traffic and at the same time optimizing for natural ranking results will in the long run be the most beneficial for your client.

chinaman, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  11. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Id say, tell them that you promise to work hard on getting the results but you cant guarantee anything as it all comes down to google. Tell them you have already achieved x and x and show them examples, tell them how long it took.

Just make sure to tell them that this game has 2 players, you do your part but google has to do theirs and it doesnt depend on you.

Seiya, Mar 26, 2006 IP