1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Category for HTML

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by rochow, Apr 18, 2008.

In the BST section, there are posts being moved around to wrong sections because there is no category for HTML, and everyone has a different opinion on where they should go. I don't want this to turn into a bitch section, or a "lets just lock this", as it solves nothing.

Design is not suitable at all for HTML. They are two utterly different things - the best designer in the world can be the worst in the world at HTML and vice versa. If that logic is used (design and html go hand in hand), content creation might as well go into design - its all part of creating a website and all 3 are required (which is the only relation between design and HTML - you need HTML to turn a design into a website)

Programming is not suitable as technically HTML is not a programming language. At the moment, its the most suitable and seems to be working fine.

Services is far too broad and there are lots of threads already, that section is far too cluttered - mainly with data entry, directory submission and all the other general jobs.

So the solution? I've thought about it for a fair while. Obviously, there can't be a category for everything as it will be so divided it will becoming confusing - on the other hand if there's not enough categories its hard to find anything specific without wading through a mess of unrelated services. I believe the best way would be to divide the programming section - have a subsection of HTML, and perhaps even PHP, ASP, Ruby on Rails etc - just the major couple. The other languages, jobs involving multiple languages, or just general programming jobs could be post in programming category still.

At the moment its crazy having to go into all these unrelated subsections to try and find jobs or find people to do jobs.

rochow, Apr 18, 2008 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  2. Hades

Hades Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with Matt on this one. HTML and CSS are still widely used in coding everyday, and having to wade through a lot of threads in either the programming or the services section is highly unneccesary.

If we had a different section for a couple of the coding languages that are used a lot, like HTML, PHP, Java and etc, each, then it would be much easier to find jobs, or find someone to code somethign for you.

Not to mention, if we have an HTML section, people won't be posting requests to code their site in the Graphics section, which isn't even BST, and has no relevance to HTML what so ever.

Regards,
    Nick

Hades, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  3. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Matt you are right about that. It does not make sense to move HTML into the design section as they are two different things.

In either case CSS and Design can be somehow related but they are still two different things. I find more appropriate to find CSS/HTML (xHTML) in the programming section as it is a programming/development language.

I would find more justified a new subsection under Programming for xHTML/HTML/CSS development rather then find mixed up the design section with xHTML/CSS development.

Two different worlds that go hand by hand but are very different one from each other.

+Rep for Matt

Trapped, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  4. iWrite

iWrite Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you guys, but maybe they can just be posted in programming if a new category is not wanted?

iWrite, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Links to the Forums and some specific examples would be helpful to illustrate. :)

mcfox, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  6. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    For what it's worth, I agree on this one... I don't think site coding really fits well into the existing options, and I have to imagine with this audience it's a big enough need for its own rather than just belonging in services. I don't know that there are going to be overhauls to sections in the near future, but sounds like a good "wish list" option.

jhmattern, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  7. kaung

kaung Twitter @KaungKo

Best Answers:
    I agree, I checked (maybe I may have overlooked) but I haven't seen and html/coding section in BSt section
    Maybe creating it will help members wishing to have coding job offers or requests there

kaung, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  8. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here's some examples:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=801594 (Definitely moved from Programming to Services - I reported my post as it was in the wrong section and they said they weren't allowed to move it back into programming, it was meant to go into Services or Design)

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=805000 (He is only offering HTML related services, in Design)

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=746669 (Only offer HTML, in Design again)

They're just 3 examples. People post in Templates too (hoping people buying .psd templates see their thread to get it coded) Design (same theory) and Programming (where it sorta actually belongs)

If there was a HTML category, everything related to HTML jobs could go into that category.

rochow, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  9. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia thinks it should go in programming.

aaron_nimocks, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  10. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    HTML is not programming. I can make wikipedia say its a variation of the chinese language if I want too :rolleyes:

Quoting the first line in Wikipedia:
    It's not a programming language - it even says its a markup language. It's incorrectly titled.

rochow, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  11. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    What about all of these books that were published?

aaron_nimocks, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  12. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Read this, it describes it a lot: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/prog.html

The W3C say its a markup language - and they run the damn show. Therefore it is 100% absolutely, beyond a doubt, not-questions-about-it, a markup language; and 100% without a doubt not a programming language.

rochow, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  13. iWrite

iWrite Peon

Best Answers:
    What's the difference between a markup language and a programming language?

iWrite, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  14. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Markup is declarative (here's a paragraph, here's a H1) whereas programming is procedural (start with 10, then multiply it by 2, then display it on the screen)

rochow, Apr 19, 2008 IP
    iWrite likes this.
  15. iWrite

iWrite Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright, thanks for the clarification.

iWrite, Apr 19, 2008 IP
    rochow likes this.
  16. criticerz

criticerz Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree here. As a HTML markup guy, I would love to see a new category just for HTML jobs since it becomes a pain reading all these posts about this and that. I would love to see more specific categories which make the site easier to navigate.

criticerz, Apr 20, 2008 IP