1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VbSeo Is it Worth the Price?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Nanofied, Mar 24, 2006.

Hows it going everyone?

I was wondering about VbSeo becasue I own [removed] and I am looking to improve its rankings and get more members.

I came across VbSeo and was totally in for it, untill I saw the price tag.

Is VbSeo really that great that it should be higher priced than V-Bulletin it's self.

I got the money, it's jsut I dont wnana buy something that isnt worth the money, or will hurt my site.

Any people here with some experience using it or info about it?

Thanks!

Nanofied, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  2. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a great piece of software, yes, but it is also horribly overpriced.

I don't recommend vBSEO for anybody other than somebody with more money than they know what to do with it or somebody with very well established forums. The reason I say that is because there are better things that you can spend your $150 early on in the game...Get a custom skin, get some custom modifications, run some contests, hold promotions, get some paid advertising...If your forums are well established, have all of these things, and have a steady stream of income, then yes, get vBSEO...it's great software and it will improve your listings.

GTAce, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  3. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    RectangleMan, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  4. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I already have an amazing template, a small contest, custom mods, and I am getting a pretty nice ammount of traffic. As for members, I have about 55 and I have been running for about 3 weeks. Do you think I should purchase it?

Nanofied, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  5. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    Anyone else got some opinions?

Nanofied, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  6. gprime

gprime Guest

Best Answers:
    Personally, I think its worthwhile. We're looking at raising donations for it (since that is what covers 100% of our bills) too because of the positive results it seems to yield. But, as is often the case, there are other scripts or services that may be more worthwhile for your community.

gprime, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  7. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    DP does fine without it...

mdvaldosta, Mar 25, 2006 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  8. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Error:
    This is very controversal.

Digitalpoint is not using vbSeo and ranking well
    V7n is using vbSeo and ranking well.

Mong, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  9. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    But you have to think then though, what if DP was using it?

All I am saying is that I think my community has enough features, and that I dont even know of any ones I could buy that I would have use for. So do you think I should get it?

What other scripts are there?

10. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    95% of the important SEO can be accomplished simply by using nofollow on any non-content pages and reducing PR drain, using heading tags wherever possible, good page titles, related topic links at the bottom of threads, etc. and most of those can be done with either stock VB functions or alittle bit of code editing. Is $170 (I think) dollars worth it to get the last 5% (keyword url's , etc)? I think it could be if your running or plan to run a successful money making forum. Ultimately it's up to you. Just remember that keyword url's (the main reason people use VBSEO) is highly overrated and has little bearing on the serps. Might be enough to squeek past a close competitor but certainly not a major factor.

Maybe in the older VBulletin versions it would definately be a great buy (when there we're sid's for guests, etc.), even for the price. But, now with the 3.5+ versions it's very SEO friendly out of the box.

mdvaldosta, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  11. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I dunno, I think I am just going to buy it. It does seem like poeple get amazing results from it, so what the heck I will take a risk. I would rather have somethign that works, than me playing around on my site "hoping" it worked.

12. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, if you have nothing else to spend your money on, then buy it....it is a good piece of software and it does work (for the vast majority)

GTAce, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  13. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO - the only real benefit you get is the mod_rewrite. It stuffs your URLs with the keywords.

However, what it basically does is stick the title of the thread in the URL. Have you actually looked at most of the thread titles?

Short list of a few of the newest posts on DP at the moment.
    • Shall i pay this guy or not? If yes, then how much?
    • Im SOOOO lucky today . lol
    • Block on home page
    • Need a second review of my site, please!
    • AMZX .com : Please appraise this name
    • Enchanted Entertainment - Please Review.
    You see any keywords in there that would help DP rank better? Nope. SO whats the real benefit?

Now, let me ask this. DP adds the thread title to the page title already, I wrote a short little article on how to Add H1 and H2 tags to your forum threads, and a short article on how to remove the "Powered By vBulletin" from your page titles - if you do these 2 short and easy mods - what more do you think rewriting your URLs is going to do?

My advice - take the $150, and go buy a great prize for a forum contest.

joeychgo, Mar 25, 2006 IP
    1 person likes this.
  14. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    This is so frustrating... I just want do have a successful community, and I cant find anything to help. Half the peopel say the program is worth it and that they got over 25,000 pages indexed from it, and others say its a waste of money.

What to do...

Nanofied, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  15. Joseph

Joseph Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  16. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    vBSEO, nor any hack, is a magic pill. You have to work at having a good successful community.

joeychgo, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  17. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I realize that, and I work at least 4-5 hours a day on this community. I just need something to help out and get the search engines attention.

Nanofied, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  18. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Running a successful forum is about more than just SEO. SEO will only help get visitors, not members and certainly not happy one's.

How do you expect to grow with posts like this? And putting a boarding website up on Digg? That's not a good idea either.

Take this advice from someone who's done what you're doing. Stop trying so hard. Concentrate on having a fun community and a good atmosphere. Start as many new threads as you can, threads which you think others in your hobby would find you for on search engines. Get conversation going. You say you spend 4-5 hours a day on the site... then why do you only have 139 posts?

A successful forum isn't built because of SEO or backlinks, but by good moderation, content, and an atmosphere that matches the demographics of the users. Concentrate on that, and members will come.

mdvaldosta, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  19. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im with ya 100% on this!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mdvaldosta again

Take 1 hour per day, and do link building. Trust me, that will get the search engines attention.

joeychgo, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  20. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you should buy it.
    Hire a programmer to create a mod_rewrite for you...it will be MUCH cheaper and probably a lot better, if not equal to vBSEO.

EGS, Mar 26, 2006 IP