1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Yahoo $299 directory worth it now?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by shellyreynolds, Apr 16, 2008.

Anyone else think it may be a waste? Especially with the future of Yahoo unknown? I love how Yahoo pretends they'll add "non-profit quality sites" into the directory for free... but they never do, not even after 6 months!

shellyreynolds, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  2. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    i believe it worths to get listed there:
    dmoz
    yahoo
    botw
    and way lower is the other directories....

scoobby, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  3. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    if you have enough budget, it's worth.
    otherwise submit to load of quality web directories!

WallaceYeung, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  4. richos

richos Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had many non profit websites accepted even recently

richos, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  5. arlene476

arlene476 Banned

Best Answers:
    for me its really not that significant, I suggest that you submit to tons of directories for a cheaper price :)

arlene476, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  6. seo5000

seo5000 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that I agree with you. Despite the recent negativity drawn towards directories, I think that they are the #1 source for good term positions if done with quality directories.....and a lot of them!

Social bookmark sites are very powerful as well.

Yahoo?? I'm not sure I'm buying that strength thing anymore! Not at that price anyways!

If you want some true power, go to PrWeb.com or something.

Just my opinion anyways!
    ;)

seo5000, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  7. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You're right on that. Yahoo "pretends" they'll add "nonprofit quality sites" into the directory free. They do not. My website is of good quality, has a PR5, and is totally nonprofit. Yahoo has declined my noncommercial submission for several years.

Jim4767, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  8. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I seriously don't think its worth to get listed in Yahoo dir for that price as you can get more quality links at that price. But, if you have a nice budget then there's no harm in getting listed there.

mixke, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Its a categorical NO they are definitely not worth it. As long as your listed in their search engine that's all you'll need. The higher the better for your keyword search the better of course.

JamieG, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  10. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Jamie , I can see that pay for inclusion directory alternative reality logic sneaking into your posts. Time for a reality check.

1. Yahoo is one of the two directories named by google as a way of increasing rankings.
    2. The Yahoo directory is an actual resource with millions of sites in hundreds of thousands of categories that real people (and search engines) can (an do)use to find sites (and use in algorithms).
    3. The benefits of being listed in a real actual web resource are many times that of being listed in one of the thousands of worthless pay for inclusion directories being promoted by cyber snake oil merchants.
    Applying appropriate scaling, an pro-rating the cost benefit ratio, the number of similar sites, and applying simple reverse engineering to this question it would be quite reasonable to conclude that if a Yahoo listing is worth $299 then a listing in a pay for inclusion site promotion directory such as the one one in your sig would be worth about 2 cents.

nebuchadrezzar, Apr 17, 2008 IP
    Dubz likes this.
  11. hecto

hecto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its worth it if you have got the cash!

hecto, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  12. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't anyone find it interesting that those who are saying it is not worth paying Yahoo are directory owners? Used to have more responses from Directory owners previously whenever Yahoo was mentioned but has been quieter since many got penalised or slapped or whatever from Google.

Anyways, a real life example - in one of my previous jobs, any website design we did for a client also included paying to get them listed in Yahoo's Directory. We had this as an optional to start off with but found clients had good rankings in Yahoo and Google (for that country) in SERPs and as a bonus Yahoo included them in local searches. The little investment they made in that directory payed off quite well.

Here's a thought though. I recommend Yahoo's Directory (paying to get in) if you have a business. For non-profit and personal/hobby/small sites, it probably won't be worth it.

Claudek, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  13. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Says you. How many listings do you have in Yahoo and how much traffic do they send? People stopped surfing the Yahoo directory when Google built their search engine.

Yahoo is an "actual resources" of websites who paid $299 to get reviewed. Oh, the adult websites paid $599 to be included.

Lexiseek, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  14. geoiss2004

geoiss2004 Guest

Best Answers:
    i'd need to be raking in at least $500/day on my site to be tempted to shell out for that

geoiss2004, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  15. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If depends on your budget. It is a nice directory to get listed. ;)

maldives, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  16. hotpop

hotpop Peon

Best Answers:
    it's worth for sure. You can get both traffic and PR.

hotpop, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  17. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    1. Increase what rankings? Serps? PR? No disrespect here but I could probably find hundreds if not thousands, probably more, sites that rank as number one in the SERPS of MSN, Google, Yahoo, and others for their chosen keywords even though they don't list in Yahoo's directory. I got my reality check 10 years ago on that one.

We all have our opinions on what we wish to spend our money on, my choice is not to spend $299 on the gamble my site MAY get included in a directory. I'll take my chance on other methods Neb! If you want to advocate the opposite to my view I can live with that.

JamieG, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  18. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are promoting a site in a niche which is difficult to attain backlinks then I think a yahoo submission would go alongside other directory submissions as a must.

discover, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  19. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    300$/year that's not worth it ....

w3bmaster, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  20. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    In three years you spent $999 on one Yahoo listing. You could list your website in 20 $19.99 directories for the same price and vary your anchor text. You'll be better off doing that.

Lexiseek, Apr 17, 2008 IP