1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Common Mistakes

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by kattposh43, Apr 15, 2008.

Hi All

Here are the Common Mistakes that can be found in the SEO Process

1) using a non-standard title element

2) failing to optimize image markup

3) using spider-illegible JavaScript where legible code would do

4) failing to indicate the content hierarchy using header elements

5) Grammatical and spelling Mistakes

if there are any mistakes that we can fix in the SEO Process let us know about that

kattposh43, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  2. FHM

FHM Peon

Best Answers:
    I beg to differ on your point number 5. Spelling mistakes (if used deliberately) can actually increase traffic. Lots of people can't spell or do not pay attention to spelling when searching. A good ranking for a common mis-spelling can generate a lot of traffic.

Two more common mistakes are: Using the same title and description tags for all pages or building a flash-only website.

FHM, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  3. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    It may increase the traffic, but it'll also decrease your conversions as well. If spelling mistakes are not allowed in print publications such as books, magazines, and newspapers, then why should they be allowed online?

You may have the best designed and optimized site, but if it's littered with spelling mistakes, people won't trust it - and will thus go elsewhere.

Dan Schulz, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  4. ellathinks

ellathinks Peon

Best Answers:
    this was interesting thanks for the info you shared and do hope many would appreciate this information..thanks again..

Profitimo

ellathinks, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  5. FHM

FHM Peon

Best Answers:
    Dan,
    I agree that spelling errors seem unprofessional and have the potential to lower your conversions, but I just reacted to them being called a "SEO error".
    If competition for a misspelled term is quite low, you might be able to rank the page by some well-placed backlinks with the misspelled term as the anchor - and hey presto, in comes the traffic without your site looking less professional. (and I know that this is a lot easier when working with a small language rather than English).

FHM, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  6. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Why waste your time with them though?

Dan Schulz, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  7. GameOver

GameOver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There was a thread exactly like this a few days ago, please use search in the future.

GameOver, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  8. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree wholeheartedly. As a former English teacher, I cringe at some of the spelling (and grammar) errors on so many websites. They lend a very unprofessional look to one's web pages.

I think I'm among the many who form our evaluation of a website before finishing the first paragraph. If the copy is articulate, correctly spelled, logical, and informative, the reader tends to read on. But if it is full of typos, misspellings, and grammar errors, the immediate negative reaction is hard to overcome.

I believe that the potential SEO advantage of some carefully-chosen misspellings is more than offset by the negative impressions that such deliberate "errors" evoke from the readers.

On the other hand, the suggestion made above about putting the deliberate misspellings on the anchor text of a few incoming links is clever. No one sees the faulty copy on your actual pages, but the search engines do see it. However, I could not conscientiously do it. It simply goes against the grain to butcher spellings deliberately. :(

Jim4767, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  9. redz

redz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say grammatical errors can increase traffic because a lot of people misspell words when they type too fast or for any reason in google.

redz, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  10. Tobidotman

Tobidotman Peon

Best Answers:
    grammatical errors can help if your an affiliate of a product and just use a redirect (not cloaked) you will get a decent amount of cash....
    anybody getting ideas?

Tobidotman, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  11. poshswinger

poshswinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    I always get grammatical or typo mistakes. Good grief.

poshswinger, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  12. FHM

FHM Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't need to be able to spell correctly to spend money or generate clicks :)

FHM, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  13. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Some spelling mistakes can increase rank. If you have a typo most likely someone else will. Also by having a typo can increase feedback on a blog.

homebizseo, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  14. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    That may be fine if you're targeting high school dropouts, but those with money are going to be well educated and will not tolerate sites loaded with spelling errors - meaning they'll go elsewhere and take the money you want them to give to you with them.

Is that what you really want? Remember, all the traffic in the world won't do you a bit of good if you can't get it to convert - whether that's increasing sales, click through rates, or whatever your site's main objective is.

Dan Schulz, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  15. aira

aira Active Member

Best Answers:
    In SEO, misspellings do have some advantages but in terms of obtaining a good site reputation, as much as possible, we should avoid spelling mistakes and grammar errors

aira, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  16. FHM

FHM Peon

Best Answers:
    Dan and Jim,
    I have to confess: I would never allow any deliberate spelling mistakes on any serious site of my own, nor recommend it to anyone needing help for a serious webshop or corporate site.

For a "Make money"-site of any kind, I would say "Go for it", but on serious sites, I agree with you - on the on-site part.

I will still maintain that it is worth a try to rank a site for a misspelling, if it can be done with a few backlinks.
    This is probably easier in a small language as my own, rather than on sites in English.

FHM, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  17. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is though - even on "make money" sites I'd be serious. Afterall, if you can't be serious about making money online, how else do you expect people to take you seriously when they read what's on your site?

18. FHM

FHM Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify. I didn't mean sites with the subject "Make money online", but sites created with the sole purpose of making money. (not caring too much about quality of content)

FHM, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  19. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Even then I'd want to be as clear, precise and accurate as possible. The only place I'd expect to tolerate a spelling mistake would be on a forum - because then it's a matter of conversing with another person, rather than writing a ground-breaking article or promoting something.

20. seoshankar

seoshankar Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a awesome information that i was looking for common mistakes in the seo fields so that i could never repeat those again.....

seoshankar, Apr 17, 2008 IP