1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disappointed with Reputed Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jl255, Apr 15, 2008.

Would just like to get your comments on this issue.

First, I admit that it was mistake on my part.

I had signed up for yearly inclusions to Aviva Directory 1 year ago. I forgot about that and was recently charged the yearly fees. I had not wanted to continue but forgot to cancel the subscription. Yes, it is my carelessness.

Anyway, I immediately wrote to the owner of Aviva (keeping his name anonymous deliberately) via their contact form to ask for a refund and to tell him that he can remove my sites from his directory. No response. So i issued a conflict request on PP. Within 12hrs, I got a response that basically says, all submissions are non-refundable. I explained that this was not a new submission but a renewal, thus it is different. No response despite several polite requests for a week.

It seems pretty clear he has no intention of refunding the money even though I had said I was not interested to continue my listing there. Though I know it was my responsibility to cancel the subscription, but I am very disappointed that a reputed directory owner will want to take advantage of the situation and refuse a refund. I had sincerely expected more from him....

What do you guys think? Would you have done the same thing?

jl255, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    sray and Brian1970 like this.
  2. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    All i can say is you have paid for your carelessness :(

DON.

deluxdon, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    sray likes this.
  3. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure why you are complaining. You are the one who didn't cancel the subscription. And an editor no doubt had to take time to re-review your site. It's pretty petty to ask for a refund...and then you go and file a dispute with PayPal? You should have just let it go. It was your screw up.

That being said, if I were the directory owner I would have refunded your money just to avoid having some crazy threads or blog posts on the Internet about how mean I am. But I am not said owner...and the owner in question has every right to refuse to refund money on a site he has already reviewed and listed.

EveryQuery, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 and sray like this.
  4. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He is not legally bound to make your refund but I would expect him to extend a friendly hand and refund your money in good faith.

Overall, you paid for your carelessness :)

jitendraag, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  5. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As you have already admitted it was your fault. However it doesn’t cost $$$ to review a website, I would of refunded the payment.
    It’s also disappointing that the owner ended communication in this manner. The fact that he didn’t reply to your first email is also strange, how long did you wait before starting a claim with PayPal?
    The directory has received some bad press since being penalized by Google; I hope that you and the owner can come to a compromise.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    sray likes this.
  6. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really wonder what you hope to accomplish with this thread.

Clearly you posted this before really thinking through what you were doing. If you did not want to renew you should have cancelled. As you said yourself it was your own mistake.

So why come here to shovel dirt on someone else? This reflects poorly on you.

When you go to work don't you expect to get paid? After your boss pays you does he come back and say, "oh I did not really need that work done, can I get my money back?"

You renewed the advertisement. The directory owner reviewed your site for that renewal. The work is done and now you don't want to pay for the work because you didn't really mean to request the renewal review.

imo you should stop this nonsense and enjoy your link from a great directory for another year.

swedal, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    smub likes this.
  7. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a good learning experience for all us. Now all would be careful and would not repeat a mistake like this...

Freewebspace, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There was a thread somewhere that mentioned whether or not to email customers when their premium advertising was getting ready to expire. I think this is a perfect example of why every directory owner should take the time to email their customers before assuming that they want to renew. Gee, they could be so very happy with their investment that they may want to even upgrade.

I think the directory owner brought some of this on themselves by 1 not emailing a reminder and 2 by blowing off the inquiry.

I have decided to give up one of my websites and let the domain expire this year. I would be quite unhappy if someone renewed any paid advertising for that site without at least shooting me a friendly note letting me know the charge will hit in x or even xx days.

Yes, the OP should have paid more attention but the directory owner here is also to blame.

Were it my directory, I would have refunded. For crying out loud, are we honestly expected to believe that a renewal gets anything more than a quick cursory looksee to ensure the site is still operating and on topic?

YMC, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  9. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    Nonsense, that's like taking your money without giving you something of equal value in return. His guidelines should at least allowed a short period of time for claims such as yours. It is not a good business practice at all and I'm surprised to read something like this from a "reputable" directory owner.

The Refund Policy with some directories around here is a JOKE, it will only hurt the directories business in the long run.

I definitely would like to read his story too, but I guess it will not be available anytime soon.

mywebsearches, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    sray and Brian1970 like this.
  10. wdirectory

wdirectory Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that he should refund your money. This is not a mistake that can't be corrected. There is no big deal for refunding money for something one don't want to buy.

wdirectory, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  11. sray

sray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since the owner of Aviva is a well reputed member of directory owners community, op can expect a refund from him, though from business point of view, the owner of aviva has every right to keep the fund, but again the members of a well known community can expect some privileges from one another.
    Just my 0.02 cents.

sray, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 and deluxdon like this.
  12. Rezo

Rezo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I was him, I wouldn't refund either.

- Agreed.

Rezo, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  13. Majnoon

Majnoon Active Member

Best Answers:
    Boy i do not understand why people like to complain too much. The submitter himself is saying he clearly knew that it was a recurring payment when he submitter his site. Aviva directory owner has a full right not to refund. Jl255 what is the point of complaining when u clearly know it is your mistake. I think you should go to your paypal account and cancel that dispute.

Majnoon, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  14. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    When I was buying sitewide links through the link sponsor mod that some use on their directory they got renewed recently when I forgot to cancel them.

I contacted several directory owners like jodee, templates and some others and they kindly refunded - and often the refund amount was much more than you have paid to Aviva.

Its the owners preference at the end of the day I'm afraid and this time luck wasn't on your side.

mikey1090, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  15. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    tks for all those who agree with me.

my response to the others is this:
    Even though it was my forgetfulness in canceling the subscription (1yr ago), there is really no good reason to refuse a refund since the new year has only just begun. Unless he tells me that his editors bother to go through every single submission upon automatic renewal to re-review the sites, then perhaps you are right. But I highly doubt that this is done as that site was abandoned awhile back. This is my reason why I think it is unjustified to ignore my emails and refuse a refund.

jl255, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  16. Jackie2006

Jackie2006 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi jl255,

I don't think it was your fault, coz if you have paid for 1 year, then after completion of 1 year, the directory admin should send a reminder to you (the website admin). And if the website admin agrees to continue, then he should act further or else remove the listing. There is no question of renewing and taking money from your pocket unless you agree to it.

Btw jl255, have they mentioned "recurring payment" anywhere in the guidelines or in the submission process?

Jackie2006, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  17. formula

formula Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    My policy is always give a refund for ones who ask for.
    I think in case of yearly subscription it is only fair to send a reminder before - bestoftheweb sent me one, and I canceled it.

formula, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  18. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What do you guys think? Would you have done the same thing?

I would simply return your money to you immediately.

pipes, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  19. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If it was somebody that was polite I would.

If it was like the guy I had a few months ago calling me a "tw*t" and swaering and being abusive I wouldn't.

mikey1090, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  20. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    haha...what is the mean of reputed directory?
    anyway you have gotten penalty.

WallaceYeung, Apr 16, 2008 IP