1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

JoeAnt, experience and conclusion?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by deny, Apr 10, 2008.

1. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Given its origins and reasonably comprehensive content it is actually not such a bad resource. Compared with the vast majority of modern pay for inclusion directories (including the one in your sig line) where a real person would be completely wasting their time in conducting a search on a specific topic, it would not surprize me at all if people were getting real traffic from Joeant

nebuchadrezzar, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Half a dozen people have sent me p.m's telling me you haven't got a clue what your on about and I tend to agree. The one in my sig is rebuilding for reasons I have no desire to discuss with you, when that's achieved I'd suspect you'll have a different view then. :)

JamieG, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  3. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Just back up the wagon train for a minute there Jamie. You are broadly hinting that Joeant is involved in some sort of click fraud and that is the reason for people getting traffic from them. I gave my opinion that Joeant is one of the better directories from a comprehensive content point of view, and that may be the reason for the traffic and you go all postal on me.

You have set yourself up as a self proclaimed expert on directories even to the point of offering reviews. As a directory “expert” things that you are promoting are pertinent to the discussion. If you do not agree with me why not use your “expertise” in directories to refute me rather than silliness like “Half a dozen people have sent me p.m's telling me you haven't got a clue what your on about”.

nebuchadrezzar, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  4. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    You've been watching too many westerns, "..back up that wagon train..." What are you on about you nut. :rolleyes: As for Click Fraud? I'm making no such allegation on click fraud, and don't you dare say otherwise. I hint at nothing, I state facts. Tell me where you've seen me say anything of the sort to the contrary please I'd be interested to see.

I've set myself up as nothing, but I bet my last dollar I'd rip you apart in any discussion on directories based on experience nothing more, nothing less. ;)

Make a valid point instead of waffling on about nonsense and you'll see what I mean. Up until now you've not once made any valid points. I do like your attempts to use verbose terminology though., I find that hilarious.

Quote one of your fans..
    I await with eagerness the day you post something worthy of a good old fashioned debate, until then I'll just have to wait.

JamieG, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  5. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I am sorry Jamie but you said

What? That is not an allegation? It is not a a hint. Are you saying it is a fact?

This may not not be classic "pay per click" click fraud but to say someone is falsely creating a referral to make it appear that traffic is real is indeed fraudulent. As someone who claims to be a lawyer I should not have to explain to you what fraud is.

Now you are a self appointed expert on pay for inclusion directories that have no benefit to the general surfer. That your prerogative. But when you start dissing a directory that is quantum leap more useful than the usual directories that you deal with then it is quite appropriate for me to disagree with you. That you launch a volley of insults at me rather than discuss the topic at hand (The Joeant direcotry in case you forgot ) speaks volumes as to your status as an expert in this field.

nebuchadrezzar, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  6. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    centime, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  7. uyma

uyma Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Long approval time. :(

uyma, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  8. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    discover, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  9. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes that is interesting joeant blows botw away, which surprises me slightly. Directories like canufind and Dirsensei (which Jamie recently reviewed) are little more than blips in the statistics.

Attracting genuine users (rather than webmasters promoting their sites) and getting genuine traffic is about content. Many of the design issues that Jamies blog goes on about at length are at best peripheral. For example Dirsensei gets a "good" rating. I don't see anything too good about a directory that had been heavily penalized in Google and according to Compete and Alexa get minimal traffic. But apparently these are not issues to be considered in the review of a directory.

nebuchadrezzar, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  10. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    It is a 'Statement of FACT' that anybody can create 'FAKE' traffic. Prove me wrong.

Read my words, I made a statement of FACT. If you wish to read into it in any other way then that is your choice, the fact of the matter is I made a statement not an allegation. Perhaps some reading lessons are in order for you?

"Dissing"? Isn't that short for 'Disrespecting'? :rolleyes:

Who's disrespecting what? I made a factual comment based on truth, some people can't take it, some people can.

@Discover; Nice try at being disrespectful to cantufind, it allows me to come in and point out that although both designs are very similar, botw make blatant lies, cantufind.com don't, but you chose to ignore that of course.

The designs are bound to be similar, we loved their design so much so we wanted a variant of it. We did however make absolutely certain we made sufficient differences so as to avoid copyright infringement. ;)

Seeing you brought botw up though I'll take the chance to point out the main differences between both. Botw make false claims (LIES) about being 'the oldest directory on the web' when in truth they were actually a stuffed up award site up until 2004. Cantufind have been going as a directory since 2000.

But hey, you won't get me disrespecting them for lying to potential customers, I'll let others do that, but what it does do is prove my point that directory owners can and do manipulate anything these days, from statistics to their age. ;)

So just to counter your pathetic attempt at mud slinging, Cantufind deliberately took their design ideas from botw, we make no bones about that, when the designer finished there was sufficient difference in the designs to avoid copyright infringement so we decided to keep it.

We couldn't possibly copy them exactly, it would have meant we would have the same amount of errors they have in their design, html validation

As for traffic differences, one thing I can say for certain is that anyone who can blatantly lie about being the 'oldest directory on the web' could quite easily be suspected of manipulating traffic to make them appear more than what they are, but I'd never make that allegation as I couldn't prove it, I'd just let people make their own minds up on that one.

Thanks for getting that bit of stone throwing out of the way though, I do love the opportunity of putting the records straight for people like you. ;)

JamieG, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  11. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    since when do you think I owe you or cantufind respect?
    if anything I respect you even less after seeing your rip of the botw design

you loved their design so much you decided to totally rip it
    the new.gif is exactly the same for instance
    what you really couldn't come up with your own design?
    lame

take that up with botw Im only interested in the design atm
    I think you should use some of that law education before accusing companies of lying though
    actually I think everyone can make their own mind up about the designs and I think it says a lot about how you want your directory to be perceived..i.e. not original

well with all the time you would save not making your own design you would have plenty left over to fix those errors :rolleyes:

wishful thinking
    you didnt put any record straight

discover, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    Dubz likes this.
  12. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    centime, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  13. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Compete.com? Isnt that site worse than alexa?

mikey1090, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  14. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    centime, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  15. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Never used it centime, but will take a look and if I feel I can I'll certainly comment. What people here don't seem to realize is that there were some pretty strong mitigating circumstances for cantufind over the past year or so, I won't go into those as they are personal to the owner. What I can say is that things are starting to move again and the only way is up.

Thanks for showing me the resource though it looks interesting.

@Discover; I have no intention of getting dragged into petty arguments and flaming, certainly not with people like you, nor will I ever feel the need to justify to you anything. What a travesty we couldn't think of a unique design just to suit people like you. Life's a bitch huh! :rolleyes:

JamieG, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  16. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I would just say that in my experience the traffic numbers on google analytics are inaccurate so being remarkably close to them would not be a good thing in my opinion.

It seems to me that the best way to get accurate traffic stats is to have software installed on the host to directly monitor it.

swedal, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  17. mister charlie

mister charlie Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know where you get off saying that we lie to potential customers. We have NEVER said anything other than the absolute truth of our origins. We switched from a best of class classification to a general web directory back in '02. Show me ANYTHING that I, or any member of my team, has said to the contrary.

I wonder if my legal team will think that these misrepresentations coming from a "competitor" are libelous?

mister charlie, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    Dubz and swedal like this.
  18. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Bruce

I've always found GA exceptionally accurate, plus I've got my own measuring script that tallies very well with GA and with compete.com

One thing folk who have mentioned GA inccuracies have not considered is robots and other internet automata
    GA is exceptionally good at filtering them out, Log file readers not so good, log files themselves record the data exactly, but the interpretation is problematic

centime, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    With the greatest respect, and I don't intend to get into argument or debate, I never say anything I can't support. Your not the "The Internet's Oldest Directory", you were an award site up until March 2003. The earliest you came to being a directory was around March 2003, as archived independently here. http://web.archive.org/web/20030410165611/http://botw.org/ Your more than welcome to correct me if you think you can, however even if you were a directory as early as 2002 as you commented on, that would still not make you the oldest would it?

Regarding where you say anything to the contrary read your own 'about us' page, and promotional banners, if nothing else they are grossly misleading. Perhaps that would be a better choice of wording?

If there's anything further to say perhaps by p.m would be the better way.

JamieG, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  20. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It has been a while since I looked at GA stats so I will take another try with them and see how they match up now.

swedal, Apr 15, 2008 IP