1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NO FOLLOW tag. Killing Our SERPs?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by SEO_WatchDog, Apr 14, 2008.

?

No Follow tag is harmful

Poll closed Jul 16, 2008.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. No Way

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Who Knows...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
    I come across more and more people who believe that no follow tag wth a link to your site will actually do you harm. On the other hand - that is quite logic that noone is responsible for who and how link t his site - so why should that harm? What do you think about it?

SEO_WatchDog, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  2. johnvixen

johnvixen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Erm I recently read an article by a person who actually tested the theory and low and behold he was gaining anchor text inheritage on the SERP's with nofollow links.

So either the Nofollow thing is just a myth, or he was bullsh****ing.

johnvixen, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  3. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It can't do you harm. No follow tag just doesn't pass any (or a very small amount) juice to your website, that's all.

JohnS0N, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  4. dspohn23

dspohn23 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nofollow tagged links are still helpful. People can still click on the links!

For example if you have 10,000+ nofollow links on numerous different related websites think of the potential refferal traffic.

dspohn23, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  5. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the no follow tag still gives juice to the site. Just not as much.

touchAshley, Apr 14, 2008 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  6. kodut

kodut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they are not harmful , they help a lot to get traffic

kodut, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  7. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my pages has several no follow links from blogs and forum posts by other people.

It has gone up in serps, but not in page rank, so as far as i see it's just pr juice that does not pass, but the keywords do IMHO.

vagrant, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  8. iRoyal

iRoyal Banned

Best Answers:
    It's not harmful I guess.

iRoyal, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  9. JeremiaSK8

JeremiaSK8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. It was proven several times.

JeremiaSK8, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  10. hotpop

hotpop Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally agreed. just because there has less and less links without nofollow tag.

hotpop, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  11. sahilcoolsmart

sahilcoolsmart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, they can't be harmful as of now. But Google might use this data in coming years as the fight against spam becomes more challenging.

If the site A links to site B. Assume that A uses nofollow on almost all of its outbound links, then G can figure out that there's nothing to figure out. On the other hand, if the site A doesn't use nofollow as such.. but when it links to site B then it uses nofollow. In this case if G finds similar behaviour on other sites that are linking to site B, then G has the right to assume that the site B isn't much trustable.

Sorry if I made it complex..

sahilcoolsmart, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  12. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know, it seems like if you have too many "no follow" links you end up only ranking well in Google's blog search. Trust me, you don't wanna end up in the blog search! There's no traffic there :)

korr, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  13. devat

devat Peon

Best Answers:
    hi

no follow link is not harmful to SEO , but u can give this link on any webpage than Google can't crawl this link

devat, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  14. modulesoft

modulesoft Peon

Best Answers:
    From SE point of view Its harm full

Modulesoft.com

modulesoft, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  15. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The "only" people affected by this are sites that have no useful content or are basically affiliate marketing\made for adsense websites. Backlinks built naturally 90% of the time do NOT contain the nofollow attribute (it's not a tag). Properly building content that is unique, informational and\or entertaining will naturally build the backlinks you need to achieve proper ranking in search results.

Lets stop the crying about the nofollow attribute already.

astup1didiot, Apr 14, 2008 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  16. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, you could build the best website in the world, but if you don't do some sort of advertising no one is going to know how great it is. If the content is that excellent, people will begin to advertise it for you and the organic nature of internet marketing will kick in, but someone has to know it even exists first.

korr, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  17. everythingisplanned

everythingisplanned Peon

Best Answers:
  18. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Saying that rel="nofollow" is harmful is about as nonsensical as saying that breathing clean air is detrimental to your health. GET OVER IT.

The only thing you're seeing is the anchor text on the links being given weight. Yes, the link is acknowledged as being there, yes, the anchor text is being counted, but the link itself is not being followed. Seriously - how else do you think blog spammers tend to rank so damn well on keywords targeting their sites with comments left on sites that have nothing to do with theirs (like San Diego car dealers having their links left on blogs about Jack Russell Terriers via the blogs' comments despite being no-followed)?

(Which when you think about it, is why I advocate de-linking the first comment left by a new person, then the 2nd through X number being no-followed, and only after a commenter has established some credibility no-following his/her comments. Of course, I also advocate having all blog comments that include a link in the comment to be moderated, but that's beside the point.)

Dan Schulz, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  19. alligator

alligator Peon

Best Answers:
    Does this bit " anchor text inheritage " , mean that the Link Text words were still appearing and effectively slightly upping the PR?

alligator, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  20. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Directly it certainly is not harmful, but indirectly the nofollow tag is doing some little damage. Some ready made content management system, scripts, blogger applications, forums, etc... come with a preinstalled nofollow tag, either for outgoing links, comments or any other section where your link could be inserted.

Now many users, who use such scripts/applications have no clue as to what the heck a nofollow tag is. One day they visit your website and post about it either on their own site or somewhere else where the noffolow tag is enabled. Even though such a link is a natural link, it won't count for google.

Such occasions may not be usual, but it does happen from time to time and when it does a natural link is lost.

JohnS0N, Oct 28, 2008 IP