1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it deep link important for a web directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by WallaceYeung, Apr 13, 2008.

i own a free web directory,
    but it does not support deep link option,
    and i notice that most popular web paid directories do support deep link mod,
    as a directory owner,
    do you think it is important or necessary?
    and as a directory submitter,
    is it a factor before you pay for a directory listing?
    let's share~!

WallaceYeung, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Deep links are a bonus when paying for a directory review/listing.

Most submitters to free directories won't care about them.

mikey1090, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  3. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    the deeplinks stuff it is a buzz that took proportions recently. I think it is important...somehow for the visitors and a benefit for listing owner. Dunno...

hyper, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  4. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    They could be of some benefit to a visitor as, if and when a directory becomes popular, but for most purposes they don't offer any value especially on SERPS, unless of course someone can tell me differently?

JamieG, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  5. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, they are. As a regular submitter to directories, I am especially inclined to submit to quality paid directories which (1) charge a modest review fee and (2) also include three to five deep links.

Jim4767, Apr 13, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  6. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    So as a regular submitter Jim, what exactly is it you think is so valuable about deep links?

JamieG, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its not important or neccessary, last year there was a bit of a buzz around it, it was the exciting thing, i added it to 2 of my directories and left it off the other two.

Obviously its handy for those seeking deeplinks.

Its nice to see available though i guess, many owners kept to a standard for the amount that they offer, but i went up to 8 deeplinks on mine, some offer more.

Biggest deeplinks offering ive seen was for 100-200 deeplinks.

pipes, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  8. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1) I get traffic from deep links, especially noticeable since I've recently placed about 140 deep links on about a dozen social bookmarking sites. Traffic is rising from them. (I don't track deep-link traffic from directories, so I would only be guessing on the directory effect.).

2) I don't waste much time or money making paid submissions to sub-categories with no PR. So when I do submit deep links to sub-categories with some PR, the minor effect of that can accumulate over the long run and many such submissions to a nice PR effect to those inner-page links. I have a good number of PR4 and PR3 inner pages.

Jim4767, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  9. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Jim in November I gave you a free listing here. Feel free to PM me some deep links and I'd be happy to add up to 8 for you!

Deep links also make a useful addition for end users. If a web user arrives at your detail page from a search engine, the deep links listed are similar to google site links - they provide quick additional navigation to the listed site from outside the sites navigation menu/bar.

mikey1090, Apr 13, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  10. rhyswynne

rhyswynne Active Member

Best Answers:
    Deep links are important. You should treat your listing as a page within itself

It's important for directory owners to build deep links, treat each category as a separate directory.

rhyswynne, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  11. kg_lew

kg_lew Peon

Best Answers:
    i think its more important for paid directories...

kg_lew, Apr 13, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  12. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is a personal preference on the part of the directory owner. Many submitters view them as a nice feature and I also think it is nice for visitors to the directory. They function much like sitelinks on the details pages that allow visitors to navigate directly where they want to go.

On the flip side there are many top name directories that do not offer deep links such as JoeAnt and Skaffe just to name a couple. If you have a well developed, quality site visitors will submit regardless of deep links or not.

Personally it is about offering visitors more choices when they visit my site and submit to the directory which is why I offer them.

swedal, Apr 13, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  13. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't get away with hi-jacking a thread so I'd be grateful if you dont try and do so. Deep links are effective as gimmicks, probably more effective in a niche market nothing else as they would or should fall into nofollow rule.

JamieG, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  14. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There was no attempt to hijack a thread here at all so I can't imagine what prompted this response.

The response is typical for many of the supporters of the script promoted in your sig link which is the main reason I no longer mention it as an option when I post in a thread. It also the reason I never visit that forum anymore, everyone there seems to have board on their shoulder. :)

Colbyt, Apr 13, 2008 IP
    pipes and daboss like this.
  15. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i don't know if you guys notice that some directories has turn off the deep links function as they have been dropped pr and indexing by google.

WallaceYeung, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  16. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm. What is there about deep links that would incur Google's displeasure? I'm not sure I can see any reason for that.

Jim4767, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  17. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    imo - it is just a theory that stems from not knowing. What I mean is that "G" does not really bother to tell a site why they are being hit so the owners have to try and speculate as to the reason.

There are many directories offering deep links that have not incurred the wrath of "G". So I don't think that is a reason. Google itself offers sitelinks in search results to make it easier for surfers to find what they are seeking.

swedal, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  18. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good point. Sitelinks being essentially deep links, it appears that Google certainly does not look upon them with disfavor.

Jim4767, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  19. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Deeplinks are important from a SEO point of view:

Deeplinks in directories actually help Search Engines to index those web pages of a website which has not been indexed previously and also it helps faster reindexing of already indexed pages..

Freewebspace, Apr 13, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  20. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    So with the greatest respect are you simply chasing PR?

JamieG, Apr 14, 2008 IP