1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Threads Should be Editable

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Amirmullick3, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I think tha if someone makes a thread, that perso should be allowed to edit the threads initial post (at the least) at any time. Assume I make a thread saying I will sell 6 domain names. IF 3 are sold, will have to make a post to say that, and this post may be the 50th post in the thread, which means that the people wont know about it for a long time.

If I could edit the main post, post #1, then people would know what domains are still available as soon as they enter the thread. This is applicable to many other discussions as well.

Amirmullick3, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  2. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I know that your suggestion is useful for threads like selling domains in quantity. But you can post another post there once sold few domains from your whole lot like '4 sold and 3 remaining mentioning url of unsold 3 domains' IMO.

DON.

deluxdon, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, the best thing to do in a situation in selling say multiple domains is make an image which is hosted on another sight which you can update with each sale.

Allowing members to adjust selling prices in opening post can lead to member disputes.

Smyrl, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  4. deluxdon

Best Answers:
    So one can use created images of sticky notes through stickified.com as it allows you to create a space that is updatable :confused: Released by one dp member Hecky 3 months back.

But they only use it for domain's urls not for price.

DON.

deluxdon, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I do not see any reason why that would not fly, deluxdon. As a seller I would want to be sure I left an electronic thread trail so to speak.

Say if I were selling three domains. I might want to lower price, note which were sold etc.

abc . com, $100.00
    xqg . com, $75.00 reduced for quick sale $60.00
    pdq . com, $80, Sold

Smyrl, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  6. Western

Western Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Report your post and request edit
    its a simple way

Western, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Ain't never gonna happen. We're not secretaries at the disposal of DigitalPoint members.

mcfox, Apr 12, 2008 IP
    lightless and deluxdon like this.
  8. deluxdon

Best Answers:
    Very well said mcfox.

Go through first post properly as OP suggested not asking for how to edit post thingy :rolleyes:

DON.

deluxdon, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  9. terminator69

terminator69 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought that was what members were encouraged to do. Well well well. :cool:

terminator69, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  10. Bubba Sparxxx

Bubba Sparxxx Banned

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a good idea, but some people cannot do that and what is point of all the hassle in doing that, when it can be implanted into the Community really easily?

If you cannot edit topics like that, then I am really for this idea!

Bubba Sparxxx, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  11. anteclimax

anteclimax Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it would be better if you could add to your post but not edit it.
    For example if I made the post saying I got 6 domains to sell. Then after three were sold, I could add onto the post that now only three were left.

anteclimax, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  12. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If people would actually read the thread, instead of just the original post, then you could update in the thread itself and everyone would have this information.

buffalo, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  13. Idle Play

Idle Play Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a tough one. I recently had a thread requesting users for services. I then stated I didn't require anymore services on the thread, which by that time was on Page 2. I then had another page after that of people wanting more information who'd completely missed what I said on Page 2.

As far as the selling goes. I often use BST and have had quite a few infractions for posting when things are sold, adding additional details etc as they were taken as bumps. It would be much easier if the original thread could be edited in this respect but as someone said above, if someone is selling and then changes the info and there is no trail from the original information then it could lead to disputes.

As I say, tough one!

The addition but not edit is a good idea, but I don't think such a feature is built in to vBulletin? Doesn't eBay work like that? No edit to the original description after bids etc.

Idle Play, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  14. anteclimax

anteclimax Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but most people do not read the whole thread, and that is not likely to change. Also, some threads are soo huge that it is not reasonable to expect people to read them anyways.

anteclimax, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  15. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    But it is really easy to scan through and see if there are any updates from the OP. :rolleyes:

buffalo, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  16. esidyo

esidyo Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess if we request the mods, they might edit the thread ... I have seen some threads...
    But the mods are really busy..so ..

esidyo, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  17. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    The said suggestions only allow scammers to scam even more. "Okay, sold at $50"...couple of posts later, scammer edits post and claims "You agreed the BIN price of $70". In this aspect, it won't work. As with everything in life, such an idea has its advantages and disadvantages.

Spider-Man, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  18. kaung

kaung Twitter @KaungKo

Best Answers:
    IMO it is better as is

giving ability to edit the first post with no time limit can cause more troubles and messes where a buyer can claim when he checked the post, the post says he's buying this but now the post is edited to that and cant dispute, or seller said that first but now this. So many confusions and scammers can misuse it

kaung, Apr 12, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.