1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Death of the .co.uk domain name!

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by marquis_uk, Apr 11, 2008.

Hi Guys,

I need alittle advice from all your SEO and website site guru's out there.

We have a company website thats been online for about 6 years, its a .co.uk domain and over the past 2 years iv noticed alot of changes in search engines (especially international search engines) with regards to positioning and general ranking

It seems that .co.uk domains are now losing alof of rankings and in many cases lost positioning is most .com based search engines. Now this might seem right since its a .co.uk domain but the products we sell is on an international level and over the 6 years we have spent alot of money ensuring this domain name is highly ranked in google.

My question is this. Should we start working with a new domain thats .com or .org and phase out the .co.uk domain to better enable search engine placement as most international search engines are not ranking us well because of the .co.uk.

any advice would be gratefully apprichated.

marquis_uk, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  2. Arcades247

Arcades247 Peon

Best Answers:
    co.uk is crap imo for branding. Not sure whether it ranks lower.

Arcades247, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  3. marquis_uk

marquis_uk Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, im concerned however how long it would take to rank a .com or .org back to the same level as our current .co.uk domain

any advice on this?

marquis_uk, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  4. Ashley Davis

Ashley Davis Banned

Best Answers:
    .co.uk isn't a bad domain if your website/business is based and mainly targets the UK.

Ashley Davis, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  5. students-forum

students-forum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, I don't think any of the search engines would penalize you for having it over a .com or what not. I do however think people are more reluctant to register .co.uk domains. Well I know for sure I am.

students-forum, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  6. AnnieRKnight

AnnieRKnight Peon

Best Answers:
    How can you be absolutely sure that it's the .co.uk suffix that is causing you to lose places in the rankings? I suspect there are a number of other factors that could play a part in your downward spiral.

AnnieRKnight, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  7. marquis_uk

marquis_uk Peon

Best Answers:
    are there any methods to check if a domain name is "damaged" in any way?

marquis_uk, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  8. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think if you look at it like this it may help you to decide.

So far you have spent £x amount on backlinks etc to get your .co.uk domain where it is today. Now you are thinking of changing to .com so you would have to spend i would imagine something similar to get .com to the same place as .co.uk. With that money do you not think you could get .co.uk to rank higher?

I suppose you need to work out whether it will be a long or short term problem then decide.

tony84, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  9. newzone

newzone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i don't think has a decisive effect if is co.uk or net , the quality of the site , backlinks make its value, is only better for the uk targeted sites and worst for the rest than a .com or .net

newzone, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  10. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    obviously when you think about it, if you target international clients, and you want to expand your business, you have the financial resource to do that, then why would you wanna hold back yourself and not to expand the business, as .com brings much more branding and that's what you need, maybe you can even go with a new domain name.

wounded1987, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  11. spark911

spark911 Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless it's actually a website only intended for UK persons, .com is a better idea.

spark911, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  12. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    For the cost of the domains shouldn't you just buy all the different variations?

pondlife, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  13. marquis_uk

marquis_uk Peon

Best Answers:
    the problem is the domain name we have doesnt have many other variations available without spending plus of £100,000! Which im not looking todo at this point in time. My concern was that a .co.uk domain would hinder our overall results.

I have a .org now and will see how it goes with this.

marquis_uk, May 7, 2008 IP