1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Becoming an anthority site

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by William Martin, Mar 21, 2006.

I'm just wondering if there are any good clues as to when Google regards you as an authority site. I've enjoyed a good ranking for a specific niche website, flittering between #1 and #2 for all four of my chosen keywords.

Recently I've seen two pages from my site appear as #1 and #2 with the

[ More results from www.mywebsite.com ]

I'm wondering if this is better news than I thought and means I'm getting/have got authority status. Competitors will soon latch onto my niche and I'm desperate to get authority status so i'm difficult to shift.

William Martin, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  2. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    i think what you are talking about is clustering, which is what occurs when more than one page from your site is returned in the same results set. Instead of repeating similar pages from your site further down the results google decides to cluster them all together.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by becoming and authority site. I have always thought sites that have been around a long time and who usually have a very high PR are authority sites. I dont believe that google asigns a special "authority site" status.

amnezia, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  3. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    What I mean is that if I have a website with "authority status" - I can add a page about purple widgets at mydomain.com/purplewidgets for example, and have it shoot to the top way ahead of "lesser" sites, that can be in good shape, dedicated to the topic of purple widgets or whatever. Obviouslly there has to be some kind of link between the new page and the sites theme.

Good example is Digital Point - which has certainly got authority status. Some of my keywords which I've talked about on this form, rank above my own sites! You'll find my forum post at #3 and me down at #12.

That's what I mean by authority status, maybe I am incorrect? Having this "status" makes you harder to shift to new competitors?

William Martin, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  4. KingSEO

KingSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Before pagerank there was a theory on how to rank websites that involved hubs, directories and nodes. A node is a page with content. A hub is a page with links to nodes and directories. A directory is a directory.

To recieve a hub status (instead of a node) you'd want to a) have links from other hubs b) link to other hubs and nodes. Thus to become a authority you would need to be linked from these other hubs and aswell link to them.
    It really isnt hard, to become a authority you need to be the top dog in your niche.

KingSEO, Mar 21, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Authority status is a keyword specific thing rather than being applied to a site. You can be an authority site on keyword1 but not on keyword2.

Search for times online and you can see google shows extra results for the first entry and this may indicate it is considered an authority site for this term.

Most good sites show extra results for a search for their business name but its much harder to get extra results to show for more generic queries. I would say if you are getting these results to show then you must be a clear leader.

mad4, Mar 21, 2006 IP