1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

noindex, follow and did Google really understand this

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by 4uu.net, Mar 20, 2006.

hi,

I have a sitemap-page (html) which I declared "noindex, follow" within the meta-tags.

Google seems to recognize this and my sitemap is gone from the index. But I have the impression that new pages I put on the sitemap.html also do not show up in the google-index. When I remove the noindex, follow Meta-Tag new pages goes in the index more quickly.

Maybe I'm too impatiently but can please someone confirm that the syntax (noindex, follow) works with google (follow (and index of course) the links on the sitemap.html but do not index the sitemap.html itself)? It sounds funny but maybe google is offended somehow when I deceide to disallow the indexing of a page (*ggg*).

thanks for your answers and

kind regards from Vienna

Andreas.

4uu.net, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  2. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you not want your sitemap page indexed?

Are the pages you want to be indexed linked from the other pages on your site?

mad4, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  3. 4uu.net

4uu.net Peon

Best Answers:
    I want the visitors to follow either a specific path through my site or to come directly to the page they want.

So if they search for a specific keyword the SERPS should include a page from my site with the *content* they want and not a page where they can find a list of all available pages on my site.

No. Some pages should only be available through google search

Thank you :)

and kind regards from Vienna

Andreas.

4uu.net, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to build links and design your site well enough so that the content pages rank higher than the site map in the search results. If your site map ranks higher than the content pages then you don't have much chance of outranking any other sites.

You can't get pages listed in google without linking to them. You need to link to all your important pages from every page on your site to make google realise they are important.

mad4, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  5. megri

megri Active Member

Best Answers:
    megri, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  6. obiztek

obiztek Peon

Best Answers:
    It understand it well .I suggest that do not depend only on that rather use alternate ways alsos such as Google sitemap

obiztek, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  7. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    But the last thing you want is to disallow googlebot from the sitemap:confused:

mad4, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  8. 4uu.net

4uu.net Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a link (from sitemap.html). A link *to* sitemap.html is on every main-menu-page.

When I put a NOINDEX, FOLLOW Meta-Tag within the sitemap.html it seems (at least for me ;-) ) that the pages that are linked from the sitemap.html (and only from them) are indexed slowly (or not at all).

When I change the Meta-Tag of sitemap.html to INDEX, FOLLOW the linked pages could be found in the google SERPS within two or three days.

So the only thing I'm changing is the INDEX/NOINDEX Tag. And my question is am I just impatient, paranoid or is there a connection?

kind regards from Vienna :)

Andreas.

4uu.net, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  9. 4uu.net

4uu.net Peon

Best Answers:
    4uu.net, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  10. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Read this.

If you don't let google index the sitemap you can't expect it to crawl the links on it.

mad4, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  11. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    Instead of using a html sitemap file and not allowing Google to index it, why not use a Google Sitemap file? Or an RSS-feed that is linked from the main page?

softplus, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  12. 4uu.net

4uu.net Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your input. I will start a test in the next days and measure the times how long it takes to get a page into google using different meta-tags and sitemaps etc.

@softplus: I used google-sitemaps.

@mad4: In my understanding noindex does not necessarily mean that google is not allowed to *crawl* the page.

Thank you again and

kind regards from Vienna

Andreas.

4uu.net, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  13. seolion

seolion Active Member

Best Answers:

Please have a look at my blog post at
    seolion.blogspot.com/2006/02/meta-robots-tag-how-to-use-and-when_27.html

It has something on these tags :)

seolion, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  14. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    You are confusing noindex with no cache I think.

Sorry to say it but not allowing google to index your site map page is one of the worst seo ideas I have ever heard. You simply have to allow google to the site map page otherwise you may as well get rid of it.

mad4, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  15. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    ... but there are no nofollow, noindex, follow, etc tags/attributes for Google Sitemaps (confused): https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/protocol.html#xmlTagDefinitions

PS We ran tests on sitemaps or not last fall: http://seside.net/tests - Google Sitemaps is not the defining factor; we could not recognize any differences with Google Sitemaps or without on our test-sites with ca 900 URLs. We have seen large changes in larger sites (10k URLs+), but it is hard to set up identical test-sites with 10k URLs which are already +/- indexed evenly ... . My guess is that Google sitemaps has little or no influence on sites <1000 URLs since Google can crawl those anyway. That makes most of those online sitemap generators which are limited to 1000 URLs a bit obsolete though :D

softplus, Mar 25, 2006 IP