1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Backlinks worked too fast?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by SitPoMk, Apr 5, 2008.

Hey all, I have a quick SEO question.

I have a squidoo lens for a certain niche which spent about a while on the second page of Google for my main keyword. I then placed backlinks from all my other squidoo pages(around 15 of them) linking to this one lens. 2 or 3 days later - voila! 1st page.

I don't know too much about the theory behind backlinks and I was wondering how long in general does it take for backlinks to affect your rankings in Google? I sometimes heard it takes until the next PR update. I sometimes heard that it can take weeks or months, but I never anticipated it to work in 3 days?

Any input?

Thanks,

-Sasha

SitPoMk, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  2. xmartel

xmartel Active Member

Best Answers:
    It can take months, or it can take just hours. It depends on how fast google's spiders do their work.

xmartel, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  3. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks xmartel,

Can there can be a difference between the time the backlinks are recognized, and the time they make any kind of influence on ranking?

SitPoMk, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  4. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    note: something incredible just happened. I added backlinks in my DP sig, maybe a couple hours ago.

I jumped from last on the first page, to 4th?

wow

SitPoMk, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  5. sks2120

sks2120 Peon

Best Answers:
    DP links can definitely help :D

sks2120, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  6. petpap

petpap Peon

Best Answers:
    i've noticed that it takes a long time, several weeks, before the effect of links are noticed....

petpap, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  7. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you build backlinks too fast, it will hurt your seo

trichnosis, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  8. JR Lang

JR Lang Guest

Best Answers:
    Backlinks are the BEST for SEO

IT IS NOT true that if you build them too fast that they work against you. The KEY IS QUALITY BACKLINKS from Quality sites and PLENTY OF THEM! Not just links from any site BUT a Google considered quality site!

Quality backlinks mean links from sites that Google recognizes as quality sites, THAT is why Squid worked so fast for you because G loves SQUID and HUB pages and DP and so those backlinks are considered high quality by G as well as Yahoo!

Keep adding quality backlinks, THAT IS THE KEY to RANKING IN THE SERPS

HERE IS THE NUTSHELL:
    The MORE QUALITY BACKLINKS you have THE HIGHER YOUR WEBSITE WILL RANK IN SEARCH ENGINES which gives you MORE EXPOSURE in SEARCH RESULTS which means an INCREASE IN WEB SITE TRAFFIC (that is also targeted IF you make sure to use relevant targeted KW)

1. Basically "backlinks" are links that guide readers back to your website. When other sites link their pages to yours then that's a BACKLINK!

2. In the business of Internet Marketing it is a well known fact that a strong linking strategy ensures that your site receives lots and lots of qualified, pre-sold website traffic interested in buying whatever you have for sale.

3. And if you're looking to increase web site traffic with SEO (search engine optimization) backlinks are just the biggest thing since electricity. That's because the major search engines use the presence of backlinks to decide where your site ranks in the search engine results (serps). The all mighty Googlebot, Yahoo and all search engines spiders LOVE to see backlinks going to your site when they crawl the web and it is important to understand that they should be quality backlinks such as those that stem from article directory sites, like ezine, squidoo, hub and other high ranking sites

So here's the breakdown: ARTICLES = BACKLINKS = HIGH SEARCH PAGE RANKS = WEB TRAFFIC FOR YOU!!

You can see more of this info here: http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Web-Site-Traffic

Hope this helps! :D

JR Lang, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  9. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks for the detailed post JR Lang!

I'll check out your site, thanks again ;)

btw, I dropped down to 8th or 9th overnight lol there goes that excitement. But, hey, it's first page ... just gotta go building those backlinks again.

SitPoMk, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  10. JR Lang

JR Lang Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah welcome to the WONDERFUL WORLD OF SERPS!!
    :eek:

I take it your a Tupac fan, BUT I'm sure you've heard of Guns and Roses: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!!

JR Lang, Apr 6, 2008 IP
    SitPoMk likes this.
  11. lissie

lissie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not totally convinced on using article submission sites - Idid an experiment with one of my hubpages - submitted about 10 articles with a link back to it- sure I got some PR on the relevant page in the next update - but I have subsequently got more PR and more links on other articles which i havent promoted via articles at all.

lissie, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  12. advancedfuture

advancedfuture Banned

Best Answers:
    For my personally I noticed it took about 2 days to gain improved rankings from my link building efforts. Just remember to use your target keywords in your anchor text! Don't expect it to necessarily last either, you can just around a bit until Google finds the correct position for your website.

advancedfuture, Apr 7, 2008 IP
    SitPoMk likes this.
  13. Fort Worth Realtor

Fort Worth Realtor Peon

Best Answers:
    I need to find a way to locate some backlinks. I have alot of directory links but not much else.

Fort Worth Realtor, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  14. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    LRLang - Thanks for the words of wisdom ;)

Lissie - I the content on the latter ones really appealed to some bloggers that linked to you im guessing? I think article submission works, but the effort included in writing such an amount of articles that it makes a difference - is not worth it in my book.

advancedfuture - Thanks for the tips ;) I'm definitely using good anchor text. I also noticed that I jump from 4th to 9th. I'm fourth again now for example .. but I think that might soon change. I'm assuming that's a sign that my ranking isn't very stable hehe.

Fort Worth Realtor - Hey buddy, this isn't quite the place for this. There are a few tips on this thread (squidoo, article submission, blog) but look around the forums. There's a whole link building section. But lets stay on track here.

SitPoMk, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  15. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt say that, sometimes people will really dig your article and it will end up not only gaining you tons of traffic from the social bookmarking site itself but also many people will link to it. The hard part is coming up with an article that will catch on like wildfire.

ninjashoes, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  16. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I think it matters what kind of traffic you're aiming for. If you're an affiliate and you're selling stuff to your traffic. I think the article traffic is actually very worth it.

But, I think if you're authoring an informative blog, articles wouldn't be the best use of your time and you would surely be spreading your knowledge on the subject too thin. I would rather put all the effort into the one blog, with all the information. If you're concentrating on blog posts, and also trying to write 10-15 articles a day for successful promotion, your recourses (your time and sanity) could be in compromise ;)

And there are ofcourse some type of sites that article promotion would probably not do much at all, for example, arcade sites.

SitPoMk, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  17. grace555

grace555 Member

Best Answers:
    A backlink is a backlink except for PR in Google, and bad neighborhoods.Other thatn that they all work.Just look at some of the top ten listings in Google and NOT all are quality backlinks...

For the org.poster.
    A link from a social type site will get crawled and index faster,than a backlink on a someones page thats out in neverland, this can take months.(again depending on what type of site)

grace555, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  18. seconnection

seconnection Peon

Best Answers:
    I know this has been said but quality and revel ant links are key!!

seconnection, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  19. Fort Worth Realtor

Fort Worth Realtor Peon

Best Answers:
    They wont always find them at the same time

Fort Worth Realtor, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  20. DJMC

DJMC Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm curious as to how many links per week would be acceptable......I've been working at a 30 links gained per week clip (about 5 per day, Monday thru Saturday).

And what Fort Worth just said....the rate of acceptance is 3 days to 60 days (for most free directories), so Google only picks up maybe 5-6 new links per week.

DJMC, Apr 8, 2008 IP