1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reasonable goal for improving Alexa ranking

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by meaghannf, Apr 6, 2008.

Hi there, I wanted to get some advice, and hopefully spark a discussion on Alexa rankings, and page rankings in general. I've made a large number of changes to my site in the last few weeks, as well as really started marketing the site overall. This is mirrored in my Alexa ranking of a one week average ranking of 2,694,919 and a three month average ranking of 9,645,702.

Obviously not where I want to be but I'm trying to set lofty yet reasonable goals for myself. What are some reasonable targets to shoot for when it comes to page ranking? Is this a reasonable indicator of site popularity? How do you set and measure goals for growth on your site?

Thanks for your input!

meaghannf, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there are countless threads HERE in DP forum about alexa
    use search function and study all.

alexa ranking is based on traffic
    traffic depends on your creative productivity of unique content to get MUCH MORE traffic
    in that early stage of a site like yours it is a WASTE of time and resources to focus on alexa
    instead focus on working much more, create much more pages, get fine SEO to bring you top 10 SERPS in major SE

you find all helpful info in OLD threads here in SP forum

hans, Apr 6, 2008 IP
    TomR likes this.
  3. MoneyMoose

MoneyMoose Peon

Best Answers:
    My personal goals are to get into the top 100k of Alexa (preferably top 50k but hey, I'll take what I get). I currently have about 250 daily pageviews and have a 120k Alexa ranking which is steadily rising.

Alexa ranking depends on the type of traffic you get - it only goes up if your site is viewed by those with a toolbar. These tend to be a more web-savvy crowd.

MoneyMoose, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  4. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa ranking is an inaccurate gauge of traffic. Look to your log files and forget about Alexa...

snowbird, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  5. inatmo

inatmo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I consider Alexa rank as a very inaccurate measure.
    If your site is interesting for webmasters, you will have lower Alexa rank.
    If not, forget it. I can't even imagine that my customers use Alexa toolbar. That would be pretty strange...

inatmo, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  6. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a NON-webmaster oriented site
    to get an alexa ranking around 40'000 i need some 16'000 uv/d
    to get into the top 100'000 you need at least some 5000-10'000uv/d unless you have many webmasters as visitors.

hence as said before - to waste your time thinking about alexa rank, at your very early stage you need first to invest at least a few ten thousand hours ( a few years ) to create content attracting that number of daily visitors.

in your early stage your alexa rank MAINLY is influenced by your very own site-visits during site maintenance!

today for example - from some 12'000 uv ( partial day ) i have one single alexa toolbar user ......

alexa rank ONLY has a financial effect in certain advertising companies and only if you are in the top 40'000 or so. until then that rank is but an empty number empty of $ or any other value!

generic traffic brings $
    unique content brings generic traffic = $
    !!

hans, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  7. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Like everyone else will tell you - just download the toolbar and make your site your home page - that'll get your ranking up.

Also there was a guy selling a neat little tool on DP that automatically browsed sites for you through a proxy - I think it was called 'magic surfer' or something similar... it works quiet well. :)

Good luck,

Cheers, p.

pondlife, Apr 7, 2008 IP