1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you tired of cheap customers and want a new place to find work?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by GFXology.com, Apr 5, 2008.

?

Do you want a site that provides quality work and high-paying customers?

1. YES, that is a great idea!

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. No, this won't work.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Maybe, if you use the ideas posted in this thread.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
    Hello Everyone,

Recently I've gotten the idea to start-up a site dedicated to provide customers and freelancers a place to advertise and search for quality work. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get a little irritated when a rookie web designer (or any other field) takes business away from me because they can do the job for about 75% less than I can. Not only does this cheat the customer out by giving them sub-par services and most likely not producing a functional product, but it also isn't fair to professionals who do this for a living, and not a hobby.

SO, the real reason for this post is to see how many people would be interested in a website that provides a place for professionals and consumers to come and find quality and superior work, without having to decrease your charges to accommodate the cheap customers. Please let me know what you would like to see from a site like this and do you think it would be a success? If you are interested in hearing when this site opens, PM me your e-mail address or post it in this topic.

Also, if you don't mind, please participate in the poll in this topic.

Thanks!

ps. this is in no means meant as advertisment, but rather as a poll of public interest.

GFXology.com, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  2. masterofdomains106@gmail.

masterofdomains106@gmail. Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll help you get that set up. I think there needs to be a direct basis of programmers who actually like programming and don't want to be outsourced. Eliminate the middle person..

3. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what, like freelancer site, sitepoint and scriplance?

ronmac, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  4. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well there are .... something like this :)

w3bmaster, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  5. GFXology.com

GFXology.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Ronmac, sort of like those sites. You're buying and selling services, but my site will have additional features that I am not willing to say, in fear that they would get stolen. I believe it would be a money maker for sure, but the only problem would be building a community. That's why I'm polling to see if there is enough interest for another site similar to the everyday sites you see now.

I also posted this in hope for people's opinions on what is missing from all the other sites like DP and sitepoint and what they would like to see in a site like this. Please let me know! :)

GFXology.com, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  6. faccel

faccel Peon

Best Answers:
    There is Elance?

faccel, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  7. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Elance = usually bad quaility. RAC is a bit better. But I would suggest starting a 'guild' of web professionals. I have been thinking about that for a long time. To join you have to proof you are good. I think that'll work ; I know I don't mind paying more if I *know* the quality is good. But there are so many people these days calling themselves 'programmer' or 'designer' but delivering awful work.

Kwaku, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  8. GFXology.com

GFXology.com Peon

Best Answers:
    That is a good idea, thanks Kwaku.

GFXology.com, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  9. damircea

damircea Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hmm ... sounds like a good idea! But it must have only professional designers!

damircea, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  10. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the first thing that came to mind was ScriptLance. I've seen lots of sites like this and ideas for sites like this, I think it is very competitive for new sites because it's hard to convince people to use yours when there are already established ones with lots of traffic.

Kaabi, Apr 6, 2008 IP
    kentuckyslone likes this.
  11. JohnGBUK

JohnGBUK Guest

Best Answers:
    "...because they can do the job for about 75% less than I can"

Is that not called a market? That is what keeps businesses on their toes and alive.

JohnGBUK, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  12. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    "Elance = usually bad quaility. RAC is a bit better. " Hmm... I am in RAC. Usually Elance pay better from what I've seen. I didn't saw any project below $100. Which is very good. RAC have a LOT of $10 clients (non-clients actually). Ahh..but if you are talking from buyers side of view...well, yes:)

"what, like freelancer site, sitepoint and scriplance?" Well, frankly to say I am looking even more better sites. Who says that these are best. I am looking for site where mid $xxx-low$xxxx is VERY common thing, everything below that already exists and slowly turns to BS.

"Is that not called a market? That is what keeps businesses on their toes and alive." No, it's marketplace. Market is not the place where someone making something for $10 and other (doing very close work) for $1000.

P.S. Yeah! Hell...it's time for something new. That freelance sites are 8-10 years old and have 200k+ members each of coders. It's virtually zero chances for someone new to get a job. Moreover big inflation in India, Romania and Ukraine (those are biggest places to outsource) make it more wise just to get the job in IT field which pays up to $15 per hour locally. Don't forget to take it in account.

SEOLinker, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  13. freeadlists

freeadlists Guest

Best Answers:
    I think you should visit Scriptlance or Getafreelancer

freeadlists, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  14. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    freeadlists, did you read my post for example or OP ?:) Or you want to say there are lot of good clients on that 2 sites ?:)

15. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that you have a good idea, but as some others have said, this is a VERY competitive niche. You will have a difficult time in convincing enough people to use your site as opposed to using other sites that are well established and with which they already have experience with.

This is not intended to discourage you in any way. Competition is healthy for the market and I wish you the best with your project.

kentuckyslone, Apr 6, 2008 IP
    SEOLinker likes this.
  16. freeadlists

freeadlists Guest

Best Answers:
    I was saying the latter.

freeadlists, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  17. jonno_81

jonno_81 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with John, that is what a free market is all about...

Having said that, I think the problem with many similar sites is they are designed and coded by software / web developers and it becomes easy to forget that the purpose is to get non technical people interested in the site so that they can find a techie.

In other words, when designing this site, never forget that you are not designing for techies, your mother should be able to easily use a site like this. I believe that that will set it apart.

Also, I agree in principle with the notion of only allowing professional service providers, but what constitutes a professional? Who decides?

John

jonno_81, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  18. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    johno_81, thanks but you didn't say anything new, just another vote for cheap jobs from you. Probably the reason is your location.

19. GFXology.com

GFXology.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I really appreciate any incite you may have, whether it be positive or negative. Keep it coming!

GFXology.com, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  20. Vesica

Vesica Banned

Best Answers:
    It's like some of the persons above me said, how would you prevent the same thing that are happening to these freelancer sites, from your site? There's a possibility of creating a successful closed community with administrator approval, but then again how would you get members? And of course, how about the "not cheap" customers?

Vesica, Apr 6, 2008 IP