1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building a niche web directory - your thoughts/ideas?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Spider-Man, Apr 5, 2008.

Hey guys.

Late last year, I decided upon creating a niche web directory. Some of you guys will know it, some of you won't - depends if you were one of the lucky ones I chose to fill my directory the week I first joined DP:p

Well, basically, I'd like your thoughts and/or ideas.

The directory is targeting the home/garden market, as that is the market I work within.

I have categories for each subject in the trade - barbecues, greenhouses, public gardens, you name it. Within each category, I have - or am in the process of - writing a 1-2 paragraph intro for each category so each category has some well-written, strong content, although not too much to lose the users interest.

I wondered - should I add a category - 'Others' - and have subcategories below that, so for example '/others/music/' and include 'non-niche' quality sites?

The directory had limited success in the first month or two and has maintained a strong PR over the last 2 updates, which surprised me to say the least (despite inner category pages all having PR0's, as expected, at best:rolleyes:)

My other idea was to allow users to (optionally) submit their RSS feed, so on their details page, it would display snippets and links through to their blog - what are your views on this?

I can also add RSS feeds from external sources on particular pages or category pages, so for example, I could display a post or 2 - dofollow or nofollow, whichever I prefer - on each category from a relevant third-party - would you condone the use of such plugin?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and, if you'd like, drop your details into your post/PM and I'll review your site for inclusion.

Thanks,
    Spider-Man

Spider-Man, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  2. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    I think this is a great idea; one that I have plans to implement myself.

The 'other' category - meh. Doesn't seem like it would fit to me. But, you may be able to find non-traditional or loosely related sites or pages that might be of interest. Possibly - real estate websites that show a lot of photos of homes with garden features, snazzy bbq/firepits, etc; or large buildings with gardens or greeneries in them. That might be more interesting and relevant. Just a thought.

Artifexus, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    IMO a niche directory should have only listings related to that niche. I hate seeing niche directories with off topic sites, like when the owners add a "directories" category just to make extra submission revenue.

mikey1090, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  4. Rod_Purnell

Rod_Purnell Peon

Best Answers:
    Have to agree on not adding an "others" category. A niche directory needs to stay focused no matter what. There will always be an urge to loosen your grip and open space so that closely related sites may have an opportunity to submit, but you must avoid the temptation if you want to maintain the niches integrity.

In fact, it is also my belief that the fewer sub-categories you have the better for the niche directory.

The RSS is a cool idea though, just stay focused and make sure the content of sites submitted don't change. I use others RSS feeds on Hot Sauce Network, but I choose who's content gets displayed and don't have categories for them.

Best of Luck!

Rod_Purnell, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  5. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your suggestions so far, really appreciated.

My thoughts on doing an 'Others' category would be all listings were free to the others/sub-others categories and only listing sites I think would - in some way, provide general interest from home/garden/leisure readers - for example, real estate, due to its linkage with the home market.

tbh, mikey, it's not about revenue for this directory - it's more about showing how mighty we are, with a "look at how big and cool we are, we sponsor directories" type slogan:p

6. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:

Good advice, thank you.

The lucky thing is, with this plugin for the RSS reader, it can be enabled/disabled for certain sites, and lets me limit the number of feed snippets shown from each site individually.

I'm just worried on pulling in too much duplicate content for the details page, thus giving those who take the time to submit very little benefit, if at all.

Cheers

7. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:

I would want the RSS to pull in and disply all the feeds from sites in the appropriate categories, and then an RSS feed for a detail page only if the site listed was supplying the feed. I think that's a better situation.

Artifexus, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  8. The Club Crawler

The Club Crawler Peon

Best Answers:
    yes i agree too, stick to your niche, the "other" category will just throw you in with all the other directories that have "other" categories. Other than that the idea sounds well solid! ...anOTHER idea would be to add a category like "other garden related sites" or something or other.

In a goofy mood I think I will unplug now!

The Club Crawler, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  9. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nice directories are great.
    Add a blog and forum too.
    And add some authority listings in that niche. :)

MeetHere, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  10. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I own two niche sites and while there is always the temptation to expand to include other sites it's better to have a smaller on-topic directory in the long run. After all, do you really want to have your niche directory and then have what's basically a general directory being built under the "Other" category?

I do have in one of my directories a category called "Other Advertising Options" where I allow submissions from other directories with the same niche or a general one if it has a sizable amount of subcategories in my topic.

Look at your logs for any off-beat hits and you might find some areas you hadn't thought of. One of my busiest categories originated that way. I suspect if you look, you too will find a number of ideas for categories that you don't already have.

YMC, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  11. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Some? Niche directories will get few submissions so the owners should be working around the clock to fill the categories as much as possible.

mikey1090, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  12. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you can look through our niche directory listings. You many be able to think of a good niche that is under serviced in terms of directories.

CanadianEh, Apr 6, 2008 IP