1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Church of England Synod member’s call to ban building of any new mosques. Is it ok ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ziya, Apr 1, 2008.

?

Do you support this call ?

1. Yes, I do support

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No, I dont support

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I am not sure

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
    A prominent evangelical member of the Church of England’s General Synod has called for a ban on the building of any more mosques in Britain.

Alison Ruoff also claimed that Sharia was inevitable in this country if mosques continued to be built here.

In an interview with London’s Premier Christian Radio, Mrs Ruoff, a former magistrate, said: “No more mosques in the UK. There are enough mosques for Muslims in this country. They don’t need any more.

“You build a mosque and then what happens? You have Muslim people moving into that area, all the shops will then become Islamic, all the housing will then become Islamic and as the Bishop of Rochester has so wisely pointed out, that will be a no-go area for anyone else.

“They will bring in Islamic law. We cannot allow that to happen.”

Dr Michael Nazir-Ali enraged the Muslim community when he warned recently that parts of Britain had become no-go areas for non-Muslims. Mrs Ruoff comes from the same conservative wing of the church. Leading Muslims hit back at Mrs Ruoff. Inayat Bunglawala, Assistant Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: “These are unfortunately very bigoted and, frankly, xenophobic remarks.”

source : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article3663198.ece

Do you support it ?

ziya, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  2. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What?? Is the UK dumping the principles of Private Property Rights? I'm sure the people of the UK would never discriminate on the basis of religion.

gauharjk, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  3. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    He is obviously free think what he wants. It sounds a little too much like Field of Dreams to me.

I don't agree with him or the notion that citizens of of various religions should be treated differently.

If his concern is Islamic law being controlling I think there are far better ways to address that concern.

browntwn, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  4. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think if we had a large amount of immigrants here that were pushing for Sharia law, I would fight it tooth and nail. Are the Muslims in the UK pushing for Sharia law? I would feel threatened by that. But this is a very backwards way to go, if they wanted to be direct they could tighten immigration laws. Although I do not agree with banning mosques, that does seem wrong.

Rebecca, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  5. lucozade111

lucozade111 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see any push for Sharia law by any Muslims in the UK (and I live in the UK).

Dr. Nazir-Ali's comments do have some truth to them. Some areas of the UK could easily be mistaken for Pakistan as all the people there are Muslim (I guess you could call it a ghetto if you were being extreme). You don't tend to see this grouping together with any of religion/race in the UK. Of course there are China Towns etc.. but most people tend to live together in multi-ethnic community's.

In some respects, Alison Ruoff is correct. Building a mosque does lead to a small increase of Muslims into the area and other groups do tend to leave. It is also funny how she has picked up on Mosque's at a time when Islam is being critically looked at by the West. If you were to build a Sikh temple, a Jewish Synagogue or a Hindu Temple, of course members of that religion would be more inclined to live there. However, the religious buildings, including mosques, are usually built by a community that already exists in the area i.e. the Muslims would already be living there, therefore, her basic argument is flawed in that the area would become Muslim because a mosque is built there. It is usually the other way around, the Muslims living there build the Mosques (e.g. Bradford).

I think that both these comments by C of E members are based on the fact that membership of the C of E in the UK has declined by huge amounts and it basically amounts to jealousy on their part. The C of E is scared of the dedication of Muslims to their religion and the apparent lack of dedication to Christianity shown by the White population.

lucozade111, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  6. david.michael

david.michael Active Member

Best Answers:
    correct said England’s General Synod ...

david.michael, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  7. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's how democracy works though. I got into an argument with a mutual friend of ours about the ability of the government to start legislating morality by simple majority.

In a democracy, if 66% of the people wanted sharia law, they would probably get it. In a democracy, if 66% of the people, let's say they are blue want to kill the red people by lethal injection (about 30% of the population) they could.

That's what a flexible Constitution and tyranny of the majority could allow.

That is why the Constitution is so beautiful. It lays down basic human rights and a minimal structure for government that should be a good starting point for almost every single person, if not every one. It is difficult (but not impossible) to change the Constitution.

Unfortunately today, we have activist judges who interpret the Constitution any way that suits the political process, not with the intent of the Founders in mind. Which is why you see the Federal Government only supplying 10% of the education money, but totally running the education system.

So democracy can be a tricky thing if you're in the minority.

Like say an animal rights supporter, or a vegetarian. If the state can try to mandate immunizations, are we really that far from mandating diet? Are animal rights activists domestic terrorists?

guerilla, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  8. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    The man is just jealous because the churches are empty and the mosques are full of people./

ThraXed, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  9. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Terrorists are people that do this and this.

Rebecca, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  10. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    He is allowed to 'call for' anything he wants.

Churches are being sold off and turned into nightclubs so I'm sure he is just jealous.

mistermix, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  11. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know my dear. The point I was making, is that if you can get 66% of people to say you or I are a terrorist, then we would be.

And that would be democracy. It's only as good as the people using that system.

guerilla, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  12. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I am sure Muslims in UK do not build mosques simply because they have too much money with no where to spend. They build them as their population increases and maybe the existing mosques became too crowded. To call for a ban smack of religion intolerance to the extreme.

What needs to be done is more of encouraging the various religious groups to interact more frequently and certainly not to ban mosques, churches or temples building.

wisdomtool, Apr 5, 2008 IP
    mistermix likes this.
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If 66% of people say that you are a terrorist, it makes you no more of a terrorist than if 90% of people say you are a fish, makes you a fish. ;)

The idea of dangers of democracy (majority rule) started in 17th century and has been discussed ever since but in my opinion such ideas fail to grasp an important point in the idea of democracy which seperates it from a simple majority rule. The most important principle of democracy is the EQUALITY of all citizens and therefore any majority decision that intefer with this equality, will destroy the democracy and it's moral authority. It is therefore the majority can not rule to forbid certain religion, remove freedom of speech rights for certain groups or punish people for certain ideas since it is differentiating among the citizens.
    Any majority decision has to be equally applicable to all citizens in order for democracy to be still a democracy and keep it's moral authority as a government form. :)

gworld, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  14. ::TECHMAN::

::TECHMAN:: Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, most of the voters have actually chosen to support this call :O

While I don't live in the UK, I think the government should never disallow religious expression (except in cases where it becomes unfeasible). If it did, how would the UK be any different from Saudi Arabia?

::TECHMAN::, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  15. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    You are right. Discriminating on the basis of religion is reserved for Muslim countries.

Is it true that there are currently more mosques than churches in the UK?

TechEvangelist, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  16. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    Probally, churches are always being closed because of the declinie of people attending, where as there is a huge increase of mosques being built. :cool:

ThraXed, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  17. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a good example of who is progressing and who is stuck in the bronze age.

stOx, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  18. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    England is stuck in the bronze age? Nah. The churches are declining because the christians are converting to Islam, it's not a matter of getting in cheap insult jabs like you do (very immature for a smart guy like you) but a matter of getting with the times, Islam is growing, deal with it.

ThraXed, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  19. ::TECHMAN::

::TECHMAN:: Peon

Best Answers:
    To be perfectly honest, I don't think Islam will ever displace Christianity as the number 1 world religion. I'm not saying this out of hate; it's just that I think Christian leaders are way smarter than their Islamic counterparts... don't you think there's a reason Christianity has twice as many followers as Islam?

If Christianity perceives the spread of Islam as an impending threat, it will find ways to convert people back or prevent more from accepting Islam (although, how drastic the measures will be, I cannot say.)

I don't mean any hate to Christians or Muslims,but I'm a conspiracy buff, so live with it :p.

::TECHMAN::, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  20. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Christians aren't converting to islam. it's due to the massive influx of immigrants that England is experiencing. These people have escaped a third world country only to bring their third world religion with them.

stOx, Apr 5, 2008 IP