1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ against 1

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by popotalk, Mar 18, 2006.

popotalk, Mar 18, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Editors who hang out at and post in the Resourceless Zone are with few exceptions the bottom of the moral hierarchy (or even the IQ hierarchy in many cases) not only for DMOZ but for the species.

I have never understood why anyone bothers to post there. It's like showing up in a public place with a flashing "Abuse me!" sign hanging around your neck. It's not like anyone ever gets any useful information there.

Just look at the people in that thread alone: Motsa, lmocr, Hutcheson, spectregunner, etc. It's rat pack swarming at it's worst. Turns the stomach.

I have to laugh (sadly) at the comment by lmocr there:

Kind of tells you exactly where she stands, doesn't it?

minstrel, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let's give the guy a credit. For reasoning with the BUNCH.;)

Reminds me of the movie Die Hard.

It came from the Horses Mouth. :D :D

4. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Here lets get the full sentance in there
    If I didn't like the way the directory is designed, the way it operates, the way I'm allowed to work as much or as little as I want (and where I want within the permissions I have), the interaction with other editors, the mentoring, etc - then why would I want to contribute to it? I hope it does tell you where I stand - I believe in the concept of the ODP.

You want to interpret my words to be something other than what they're not? Feel free - your misinterpretation does not reflect on me.

lmocr, Mar 18, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    To lmocr: Pfffttt...

To others: Read the comment in the context of that thread and make up your own mind.

My conclusion: lmocr is about as open-minded and interested in change as a can of cat food.

6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There was brainstorming which of course eyecon, no doubt has extremely outperformed the BUNCH.....;)
    .....And there is a Stormed Brain.:D

7. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, why don't you read the comment in the context of the thread - and for those like minstrel who don't understand what context is :rolleyes: , here's the comment that I was responding to:

lmocr, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Uh-huh. To which lmocr replied:

Draw your own conclusion :rolleyes:

9. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    I haven't been on here for a long time or ventured into Dmoz for a bit but I logged into a host of red reps... :eek:

Anyway, just read through and, my personal view is that, well anyone that has spent 15 years on a site I do think deserves a little courtesy. And if the sites were revelant in any of my cats... I would've listed them in a heartbeat and may even have thanked them for building something so informative for surfers. But mabye that's just my sections ? No commercial stuff and any really good informational sites I cannot get enough of.

I do understand folks frustration, I just sigh and wish the top editors would stop jumping in and sometimes, just sometimes, give some people a break occasionally. Not every case is the same, and that for me as an editor is a major, major stumbling block in the whole thing and the way Dmoz is viewed.

You cannot speak to someone like that like they are a 100 site a day scraper spammer webmaster submitting thier 10th site of the day... and expect them to like it right ? And anyone else reading the thread who has done a decent job in their niche isn't exactly going to be too encouraged about what Dmoz does and how it treats those that HAVE made an effort with their site building.

I personally give the Resource Zone a wide berth. There is rarely anything positive to read there.

shygirl, Mar 18, 2006 IP
    minstrel and Alucard like this.
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That is an excellent post, shygirl. Well thought out. Well-expressed. Balanced and honest.

Thank you.

11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hope other Editors feels the same way. They always view people asking questions as Spammers.

Theres not.

Nice post. Shygirl.

12. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    shygirl, congrats from me as well.:D :D :D

...and popotalk, I think the thread performed by eycon is a mustread.;)

vulcano, Mar 18, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  13. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried to read that thread but, as usual on RZ, I didn't get past the 2nd page. I can't stand RZ...

The small amount I saw didn't look interesting or impressive. It was typical RZ nonsense - A webmaster complaining about something that doesn't make much sense and a handfull of editors (no, not all of the editors that post there, a handfull) giving the rest of us editors a badname by being meanspirited, rude, heavyhanded, and generally abusive...

Why do submitters/webmasters post there...?

sidjf, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is not a difficult task, That BUNCH collective IQ number will not reach the value for room temperature. ;)

gworld, Mar 19, 2006 IP