1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How would you market me?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by drmike, Apr 3, 2008.

Hi therem this will be my first real attempt at a long term website so I figure I might as well do some marketing of it to help it grow. The problem is, I am a total newb when it comes to marketing. The site is iNature.net and I would like to start getting a little traffic to it mostly to get the forum started. So, my question is... if you owned such a site, how would you go about marketing it?

I do not have a huge budget, but am willing to spend a reasonable amount for reasonable results.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

drmike, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  2. ruffneck119

ruffneck119 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would start with a redesign, your site is too busy, too loud, and it's too wide.

The and only then start with your marketing.

ruffneck119, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  3. tinner666

tinner666 Peon

Best Answers:
    Quite nice actually! Readable, unlike many cramped old-style sites! maybe set your links rules to 'Open in another Window' so the back button will get a break.
    A small adword campaign to start.
    Put a link in your sig and post at similar sites or at least offer links to similar niches.

tinner666, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  4. cucr3

cucr3 Peon Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I would say target sterotypical "hippie, free-love" type people websites/forums/message boards. That lifestyle seems to be the most in touch with nature. Make posts and every in few, mention that this site "iNature.net" is relevant in some way. Keep a link in your sig. Definitely opt-in email - let them know of updates, site specifics, objectives, etc. If your budget allows it, take an ad in a nature magazine. You can leave stickers/flyers in places like REI and other camping/recreation type stores.

cucr3, Apr 3, 2008 IP
    drmike likes this.
  5. vitalous

vitalous Guest

Best Answers:
    Great idea. Great site. Great job.

Site isn't too wide per se, but should dynamically size/wrap to width. For some reason it doesn't. Plus, that florescent green may hurt some eyes. I'd dim it a tad little bit.

My totally amateur (grain-of-salt) recommendations...

1. Ditch FrontPage, and go with Dreamweaver. (If you want the CSS to be right.)
    OR
    2. Go to a CMS (you already have a CMS look) like Drupal, Joomla, etc.

vitalous, Apr 3, 2008 IP
    drmike likes this.
  6. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this 100%.
    A site redesign is a must in your case.

ablaye, Apr 3, 2008 IP
    drmike likes this.
  7. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the comments, I truely appreciate them. I have been wanting to get away from Frontpage for awhile now but feel somewhat lost using other programs, guess I need to do some reading and catch up with the times.

drmike, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  8. manifesto

manifesto Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with a couple of other posters, that you could probably redesign the site. Try joining a few other communities and make a few friends there. This site lists a few:

ecostreet.com/blog/sustainable-lifestyle/2007/11/05/5-of-the-best-green-and-ethical-social-networking-sites/

You can use Hugg.com and Care2.com/news to promote your articles. Just make sure you don't always promote yourself. Submit other articles you find interesting or you'll look like a spammer.

There are lots of opportunities for environmental/green/nature sites. It's a popular topic in newspapers at the moment. Why don't you make a list of journalists who cover green/environmental issues and create a newsworthy story.

You're probably better off using Drupal or Joomla to create your site. They both have lots of modules that you can add (such as forums, blogs etc..). That way you can spend your time promoting the site rather than trying to redesign.

Have a look around, you'll need to make the site more visually appealing if you want to get anybody to keep coming back.

manifesto, Apr 3, 2008 IP
    drmike likes this.
  9. ruffneck119

ruffneck119 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dude forget learning a new program just grab a free css template (there are 1000's) and you can use front page to modify it.

-Javier

ruffneck119, Apr 4, 2008 IP
    drmike likes this.
  10. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have decided to go with Joomla, I have it all installed and am just trying to learn as I go to set it up. To those who suggested it thank you, once I finally learn the ropes of it I think it is going to be really great! Thanks to everyone for your opinions and insights. Rep added for all!

drmike, Apr 5, 2008 IP
    vitalous likes this.