1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working at home and loneliness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Freddy81, Mar 18, 2006.

Hi guys,

I'd like to share a problem, that many of you may face. After finishing the university, I was eager to start my own business, and that was successful - I have a populat website selling a popular utility and running the ads, and my income of $xxxx.xx is quite enough for good living in my country.
    But for some time, I've noticed that I'm missing something important in my life - communication with real people. Being a whole day at home supporting the business, I stopped all my contacts and now see my friends, who are doing well with the girls and so on... But the problem is, that I realized it's too hard for me to begin just a simple conversation with someone now, and I understand that I lack communication...

If someone of you is working alone and is familiar with a problem of social isolation, can you tell how you cope with it? Your answers will be a great help and support for me.

Thank you.
    Fred, 25 yrs.

Freddy81, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  2. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    I was going to take the piss, but I put my evil alter ego to the side for a second, coz I feel kinda bad...

Hello Fred,

Maybe you could pick a sport or some kind of hobby that you feel passionate about that will get you out the house and meet new people. Just do that once a week or so in the beginning and gradually build it up. That would also help with your conversational skills because whatever hobby/sport/activity you pick, other people would be there for that aswell, so that would give you that initial common interest on which to build a conversation on & then just take it from there.

I understand that working is important, but you are 25 years old and should also be having copious amounts of fun.

MELLA, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  3. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Loneliness is a fact of life a lot of successful people have to deal with. You should be happy you're making thousands a month. I'd rather be alone and be rich than have a bunch of friends and be poor...........who cares about being alone?

The way I deal with loneliness is just excepting the fact that it is a sacrifice I will have to make in order to get to the level I want to get to.

tesla, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  4. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    *rubs eyes* wow.

Give me a load of friends & poor, over rich and lonely any day of the week.

In this short journey we call life, you will gradually realise that the only important thing is the people in it.

MELLA, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  5. Freddy81

Freddy81 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies.

Mella, your posts are quite inspirational and you are 100% right, imho. Perhaps it's time to do someting before it's too late, and our life is shorter than we imagine and should not be spent fully on work.

Tesla, now I can say that I was much much happier person, when I was a poor student and worked in a university lab for just 600 bucks a month. Why? Because I was among people and felt much more comfortable than now. If we gain something, we lose something...

6. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Freddy81, I think you just need to grow up and realize life's not a frickin party, if you always need to be entertained and can't enjoy solitude then I think you need some help. Get a dog or something..woof woof.

Colleen, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  7. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I'm due to give up full time work in the near future. Once I'm at a suitable level of income my plans are:
    • Help out a local charity
    • Join a night class to learn about something I'm interested in and not just to make money
    • Get a part-time job with a lot of social interaction

I'm with Mella on this, life is to be enjoyed or what's the point. At times you have to knuckle down and work but there are many more pleasurable things than money. Money is just a means to an end.

dct, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  8. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Go get drunk and force yourself to talk to everyone near you until you meet someone you like. Not too helpful advice, but it should work. ;)

Design Agent, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  9. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    wow..did not expect something like that from you, Kalina. :eek:

Thank you. I agree, our life is way too short. Of course, I understand that working is important and we need money to survive, but when all is said and done we can't take anything with us when we go so don't base your whole existance on money. As the old saying goes ''Work to Live, don't Live to Work''

It's difficult to get yourself out of a situation you have become very accustomed to, such as staying at home alot by yourself, and working many hours..but once you break out of that pattern you can start enjoying life again. I hope you manage to do something about it, best of luck.

MELLA, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think tesla is coming from a perspective that you can pay for any companionship you may need.

lorien1973, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  11. argyle

argyle Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there fred, since your business is doing well, why not attempt a part-time job in a social setting? That way for part of the day you can work with your business, and the last part you can work with people. When you're in that sort of situation, and you're kinda forced to talk to people, its alot easier to make friends and have more of a social life.

Good luck.

argyle, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  12. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    Fred, I am ina similar situation, but i've a GF, and i play daily for 2 hours, that helps me interacting with some new faces and meet old friends. Apart from that make sure you go out saturday nights, get drunk return home at around 4 in morning and sleep almost half the sunday, i am sure that'll make you feel good, works for me. :)

Today is saturday night BTW, and i am posting here. Had some urgent work, so cou;d'nt go out today. :(

SumitBahl, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  13. Freddy81

Freddy81 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as going somewhere an Sunday's night.. it sounds great, and surely might work, but I cant imagine myself going somewhere to the night club alone...
    I see many good ideas from you all, and I suppose the best thing to do is *planning activities* that continually place myself in the presence of others.

14. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:
    Freddy, I sugest to start going out over a day. Maybe you could find some decent caffe? If you are not satisified with first, try to find other one. Usually, there are nice people working. Also, people that bumping there after work or even before are ideal for short, plain conversation. Your business can be interesting to almost all people of your age.

In a fiew days, weeks you could be new person.

There is no need for good luck, just be willing to do something new. Escape from that daily rutine. Girls out there are equal important as your job/money. All of that makes you complete person.

_vlada_, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  15. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    come on fred, being alone is not so bad :)

toby, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    A lot of people who bury themselves in their work wind up isolated. It's not hard to either be rich and unhappy or poor and happy. Finding a way to be well off and happy is hard ...

Blogmaster, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  17. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Freddy- I am new to where I live---work by myself from home etc. Great view from my apartment...see my avatar...but after 2 weeks I decided to get a p/t job 2 days a week. Go the gym most mornings and run around as much as possible. Make an effort and your phone rings.

ROAR, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  18. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhap schange your business around a bit - Obviously if you have a successful online business, you have to be quite knowledgeable about wahtever service you are providing. Why don't you start doing consultations with local businesses? Then you are out part of the day, meet new people, develop contacts, and make a bit more on the side as well.

Good luck!

Caydel, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Set some time aside for yourself to have fun, even if it means just relaxing and watching TV. Seriously, you need to unwind. Smoke some pot, too (j/k :) )

Blogmaster, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  20. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Friends and Family are definitely more important. Maybe become a Big brother to some unfortunate kid that doesn't have a dad figure in his life. Look around and attach yourself to good ppl because what goes around will come around. Start dating and just have fun and maybe take up an adventures hobby?
    Lore

FOX LORE, Mar 18, 2006 IP