1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got listed in DMOZ in less then a week

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by leede, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Finally in two years time my one web site is included in DMOZ

That too in less than a week:)

leede, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think I follow. What is that two years mentioned for if you got listed within a week?

Qryztufre, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  3. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Means he probably had other sites he's been trying to submit, and one finally got accepted within a week.

werewe12, Apr 4, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  4. leede

leede Guest

Best Answers:
    i meant this my first web site tht finally got listed in it

leede, Apr 4, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Ahhh... that makes sense then. Thanks for clearing that up :D

And congrats!

Qryztufre, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  6. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    As I've said before, it's really hit and miss. Good grief, if I'm editing the whole United States, I can't be in all 50 states at once, and if I concentrated on one state, the other 49 wouldn't get any attention for years. Multiply that by all the countries in the world, and then by all of the rest of the Directory (which is topical), and you might get a sense of what editors are faced with.

The larger states, like California, New York, Florida, Texas and others are impossible to keep up with.

crowbar, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  7. ericfromandys

ericfromandys Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I totally agree, it's hit and miss. If your site happens to be relevant to a category where the editor is not spread too thinly, then that is quite fortunate. If not, you just have to deal with the wait (or the fact that you may not ever get listed) and move on.

ericfromandys, Apr 4, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  8. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I got one of my sites listed in under a week as well... this is the third one in a row!!! Are the editors being nice to us? :eek:

FanAddict, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  9. leede

leede Guest

Best Answers:
    i think they are being nice only to you lol...

leede, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  10. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not a matter of being nice, :). Some editors may have more free time to devote to editing than others. Some editors have editing permissions in smaller areas of the Directory, like a city. Some may be just working on everything in one County, or in one very large Topical category.

Other, more experienced editors have extremely wide areas of permissions and we try to do a round robin of visits to categories that have no resident editors, there are thousands and thousands.

There are whole states that only have one editor, burn out is very common in those situations.

Then, the other thing you don't see are all of the reds, sites that have gone 404 for some reason. A lot of times they've just moved, and as they were once listed, they are most likely desireable sites to have. We search for those sites and try to find replacement urls for them, instead of just hitting the delete button.

I could go on and on, but there are many jobs that editors can choose to do, all of them important. :)

crowbar, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  11. aldin

aldin Peon

Best Answers:
    If the submission is in the right category, and if the category has an editor, the site could even be added the same day (I did it).

If the site is not submitted to the right category, it has to wait twice since it is moved to the right category and has to wait again...

aldin, Apr 5, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  12. optimizare

optimizare Active Member

Best Answers:
    You got lucky. I have some real good sites that won't get listed as on that category the dmoz moderator is someone that already has some of his sites listed and won't list the competition. :( . This is often found on dmoz I think .. I heared that some of them actually ask for money so that you get a normal treatment and have a chance to get listed.

optimizare, Apr 5, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. aldin

aldin Peon

Best Answers:
    report abuse

aldin, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    What you consider "real good sites" might not be the same thing as the sites with "unique content" that editors look for.

No, it isn't often found on dmoz, but if you suspect it and have some kind of proof of that, please click on the "report abuse" button at the top of every page and fill out the Abuse Form. We would be very grateful for that information and it will be dealt with.

Just remember that not getting your site listed in the timely manner you'd like, is not considered abuse. There could be many reasons for it, and no site is guaranteed a listing. In fact, we don't want all sites, only ones that serve our purposes. :)

crowbar, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    That is funny when you also say...

As it's often not "real good sites" at all, in fact, many are low budget hacks hosted on free servers, set side by side with editor sites, that serve your purposes very well.

The purpose of DMOZ is supposedly to serve the end user, and that is often not the case. As a site can actually be passed over if it has "unique content" but that also has been scrapped by an editors bots to be hosted as syndicated content on a "real good site" and linked time & time again in the ODP. So there are many instances of "real good sites" beating out "unique content".

Qryztufre, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  16. leader

leader Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations! I hope I get accepted in the DMOZ directory.

leader, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    California is undoubtedly the largest state as far as both sites listed and site suggestions submitted. A tsunami of submissions. There's only so much one group of editors can do, but they are working on it. (and there are 49 other states) :)

crowbar, Apr 5, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  18. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I had to read this paragraph a few times before I worked out what the hell you were on about Christopher.

This is veiled reference to the Topix auto linking issue. And I agree with you. It stinks. And many editors would agree with you. It was wrong. That was over four years ago and I don't think the AOL employees who work on the ODP would get away with it today.

But because someone made a mistake 4 years ago does not set some sort of precedent that the goal of the ODP is for ever altered.

Christopher there are many things with the ODP that could be improved, and as a ex-editor, webmaster and self appointed SEO expert you are in an ideal position to provide informed criticism. I am not sure why you insist on playing these games.

nebuchadrezzar, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    The fact they are still listed should be a sign of something though. Mistakes can be corrected, in fact, most people do try to correct thier mistakes. Though it's clear that DMOZ as a whole does not and did not see this as a mistake, as there are still listed and likely will be listed.

All of my comments are personal opinion based on editing experience and not official ODP representation. There are no games, I'm just saying things like they are. Go on and say I'm making things up, but then prove it. I have given links and quotes to say all that I've had to say, that is something you can not say as it's something you have yet to ever do. So the only games here are the ones played by your self as you hide behind that name of yours.

Qryztufre, Apr 6, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.