1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Basic SEO Questions(New to SEO)

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sudip_dg77, Apr 2, 2008.

Hello,

I am new to SEO and I have a few basic questions.

I have a site say for example http://www.abc.com. This website say has 100 pages in it. Now after designing all the pages and having all the 100 pages interlinked I build a sitemap which lists all the pages. This sitemap is available on the index page.

1. Now when I submit this website to Google for indexing does the google-bot index all the 100 pages that is linked from the index page through the sitemap page?

2. Does google index php pages aswell?

3. Does google index the pages and display pages in the search result based on the Meta Keywords and Meta description or based on the the actual content on the page?

4. Now for example I have 2 pages one based on the meta keyword "health" and another on "pharmacy". Then when someone searches for "health" will google display my "health" page and when someone searches for "pharmacy" then will my "pharmacy" page will be displayed? Is this possible?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
    Sudip

sudip_dg77, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  2. deceased

deceased Banned

Best Answers:
    . Now for example I have 2 pages one based on the meta keyword "health" and another on "pharmacy". Then when someone searches for "health" will google display my "health" page and when someone searches for "pharmacy" then will my "pharmacy" page will be displayed? Is this possible

You have to builld backlinks first. If no one links to you with related anchor text , you won't come up

deceased, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  3. thundercow

thundercow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a post/rant on here that is titled something pretty close to "everything you need to know about SEO". It's pretty good, and pretty dense, not much fluff.

I would also check out the stomperNet blue disks, they are a few years old, but they run through the basics.

I am not a pro, but I understand the basics:
    1. Google will "spider" all your pages, but it will index what it wants too. If it is a new site, many pages may be in "supplemental results" for a while.

2. I am pretty sure google indexes php pages, but html is the truest form of search engine candy.

3. I believe the consensus on google is that it weighs the TITLE tag the most, and the meta tags less. On-page content such as keywords in the body are important, as is the "keyword density" of such terms.

4. This question is too confusing.

If I have talked out my ass, i apologise...read on, young webmaster. If you don't want to buy the blue disks, just take a weekend and read a few thousand posts on here, you'll learn plenty.

thundercow, Apr 2, 2008 IP
    graphseo likes this.
  4. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. May be google will index all pages, or may be only 10. I have 3 sites, one has 16 pages indexed from a total of 442 pages, other site has 21 pages index out of 21 pages.

2. Yes

3. Google don't use meta keyword tag anymore. But it does uses the description tag.

4. The real thing that matters these days are the back links. You can pages different pages for different keywords. But to rank this in search results, you will be needing lot of back links.

angilina, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  5. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:

They display pages according a unique algorithm, also Google's pagerank plays a part in it...

Freewebspace, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  6. Kapil Khaneja

Kapil Khaneja Active Member

Best Answers:
    Rather than submiting to google DIG the pages and they ll be indexed within 24 hours.

Kapil Khaneja, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  7. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    You're off to a very good start for someone who's new to SEO. :cool:

The Googlebot (Google's search engine spider) will try to index as many of your site's pages as it can. Having a sitemap will definately make this a lot easier, which means the likelyhood of having all your pages indexed will be very high.

Search engines don't care what file extension you use. If it can be loaded into a browser and render HTML code, a search engine can read it. In other words, having your pages end with .html .php .asp .aspx. .jsp .py .pl .cgi and so on will have no effect or bearing since they can all be read by a Web browser (there's also no SEO benefit to using one over the other either).

The search engines will rank the page based on the content within it. Due to abuse by Webmasters and developers several years ago, search engines stopped using the META keywords tag, rendering it all but useless. However, they sitll use the META description tag, and a well-written META description can cause people who read the description in the listings to "click that link" to your Web site.

Don't write your pages with keywords in mind. Write your pages about a topic, using the keywords you want to rank well for inside those pages. For example, if you have a page about picking out a digital camera for a photography enthusiast, you'll want to include the keywords and key phrases "digital camera" and "photography" in your page - they'll cover the keywords "digital camera" "photography" "digital photography" and "camera" in one fell swoop - you can also target "long tail" keywords on that topic by discussing the various features and benefits of a particular camera (let's say it's a Canon brand camera) and what to avoid (such as explaining the benefits of an optical zoom over a digital zoom).

Does that make sense to you?

Dan Schulz, Apr 4, 2008 IP
    akel likes this.