1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1 ad per page the best way to go?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by froghat, Mar 17, 2006.

I'm adding an adsense ad to my site and my thought was 1 nicely placed ad would be a better idea than several ads placed throughout the page. If a person sees tons of ads surrounding the data they came to see it may turn them off and feel like one big commercial. If you have 1 they may be more willing to glance at it and click on something that looks interesting. What do you guys think?

froghat, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  2. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    for me, 1 ads works best. All i put is one ads in the middle of my content.
    My ad is white, no border with blue link
    for me, 1 ads pays more per click

ahkip, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  3. Jenstar

Jenstar Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me, one ad unit works best as well. During testing, I found that second and third ad units earned me significantly less (on both a CPM and EPC basis) and many of those second and third ad unit clicks ended up clicking on the first ad unit instead, when I went back to a single ad unit. So revenue was higher with a single ad unit as opposed to two or three.

Jenstar, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  4. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with Jen on this. I have been doing this same thing with my sites that use both Adsense and YPN and seeing that they are working much better than they were before. Clicks did not go down, but revenue has gone up because of using fewer ads with higher paying EPC.

TheNetCode, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  5. froghat

froghat Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok lets say your site has 10 pages (just an example) and you put 1 ad on each page will revenue go down or is that ok? Or should you only put 1 ad on the front page? thanks

froghat, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  6. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    1 ad per page. If you only put one on the front page you would significantly drop your revenue potential. The 1 ad rule that many use is for each page that they add to their site.

TheNetCode, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  7. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    High CPS ads would be serve on first adblock and then CPC is diluted on next adblocks.
    If you know it?
    then you know what to do :D

Mong, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  8. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    I personally think its a tough question to answer and is dependent on your site, layout/design and content. Some sites lend themselves better for single ad units than others. I have one site, that just won't work from a single ad perspective as the ad is gone once you scroll past the top fold, so I've had to place a few more.

LaCabra, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  9. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can't stand sites that puts more than 2 ads on a page, especially at the very top because they're following the Google "heat map" junk.

jackburton2006, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  10. rgeimer

rgeimer Guest

Best Answers:
    I generally use just one, but sometimes I will use two ad units, one all text ads and another image-only, if it complements the layout and look of the site.

rgeimer, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  11. greatestmj

greatestmj Guest

Best Answers:
    i had used 1 ad per page!

greatestmj, Mar 19, 2006 IP
  12. Jude Vihervaara

Jude Vihervaara Peon

Best Answers:
    1 unit? 2 units? or even 3 units? Don't matter as long every unit makes some revenue. Ad unit without revenue is a bad ad unit.

Jude Vihervaara, Mar 19, 2006 IP
    Bean likes this.
  13. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    This is true. The difference is that the more ads you show the lower your EPC can be. This comes to a matter of personal preference and your sites layout. You are simply going to have to experiment with the site to see what is working best.

TheNetCode, Mar 19, 2006 IP
  14. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you have one unit, where would be the best place to have the unit. Would it be at the end of the article, on the right, left? What if the article is really long, wouldn't it be better to have two i.e. on in the middle and one at the end.

qwestcommunications, Mar 19, 2006 IP
  15. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:

It is best to test it in different positions and keep track of the results. Some spots work better than others depending on the website and what the content is. You may find that wrapping your articles around the ad with the ad positioned to the top right of the article is best or it might work better in the middle. As I said it is best to test your site to see what is working best for you. You might even place 3 ad units on the same page and track the results from each one to see what works and what does not. Then make your adjustments from there.

16. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    Hit & try is how we learn, its good that it worked on some of you people's site, but no one can really predict if this would work on some other website.

SEO Guru, Mar 19, 2006 IP
  17. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct. This is exactly the reason you have to test different ways of doing your website. If you simply put an ad on your site and walk away how do you really know that this ad is the best one in the best spot for your site. Test, Test and retest until you get what works best.

18. mitchandre

mitchandre Peon

Best Answers:
    My site generates the most when I max out to 3 ads.

mitchandre, Mar 19, 2006 IP
  19. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I generate the most revenue when I use the most ad units, and the largest ad units -- no question.

However, you must ensure that your CSS is designed so that the first AdSense unit gets the best position.

Google will put the highest paying ads first. If the "first" ad block in your source code shows at the bottom of the page, then the highest paying ads will go to the bottom of the page.

Then, make sure that you use AdSense Channels to make sure that you have an accurate view of which positions are the best positions in your design. The heat map is only a general guide.

Will.Spencer, Mar 19, 2006 IP
  20. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    for me one ad and one link unit works best. as will said, having more ads means you have to be careful with placement, otherwise the most-clicked ad may turn out to be the lowest paying one.

devin, Mar 19, 2006 IP