1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Inserting keyword in URL for tracking

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by pgiddy, Apr 1, 2008.

How can I have Adwords dynamically insert the bidded keyword into my
    destination URL? I currently do something like this for Yahoo Search
    Marketing:

http://www.domain.com/landingpage.php?keyword={OVKEY}&ad={OVADID}

I record all these gets in a database that I can use for tracking.
    Can I do something similar in Adwords?

Thanks!

Well, I found a pretty good article here about {keyword} and {creative}:

http://blog.merjis.com/2007/04/03/macros-analytics-paid-search-performance-improvement/

Does anyone know if there is an official adwords page on this?

pgiddy, Apr 1, 2008 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    GuyFromChicago, Apr 1, 2008 IP
    Scriptona likes this.
  3. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    You are the greatest referencer in the world...

But not to be mean or out of context, but do you ever give your own advice or just quote the bible?

I know Google provides a lot of detail and should be quoted especially for this question, but I imagine the advice given out from Google is not always 100% correct, especially when it comes down to strategy.

robertpriolo, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  4. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    Lastbutnotleast, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, no offense taken. I give more specific advice when it's relevant and I feel like the person has already done their homework and looked up the basics. I've been part of this forum for years and during that time have learned that if someone hasn't even bothered reading the basics, I won't waste my time going into long in depth explanations that they either won't understand, won't implement or a combination of both. 90% of the questions in this part of the forum are answered in the Google provided info - no point in just rehashing in my own words.

I believe the people who are/will be the most successful with AdWords (or paid search in general) will take the initiative to teach themselves...I'm happy to point them in the right direction but am past the days where I'm going to respond with lengthy answers to questions like "what are match types", "how do I contact Google", "how does conversion tracking work" and so on. Odds are the people asking those questions are too lazy or ignorant to ever be successful in paid search anyway. If you're trying to get into paid search and can't even use Google to find answers to simple questions like that you're in the wrong business.

Correct, Google's advice in relation strategy is often provided with their best (financial) interest in mind. When time permits I love discussing strategy. I don't get paid to be here nor do I solicit business from this forum so I have to keep that in mind as well. Giving 3 hours of free advice a day doesn't pay my mortgage:)

ps - I looked long and hard for a page I could link to to answer your question so I wouldn't have to type an answer but couldn't find one;)

GuyFromChicago, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  6. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point, maybe you should make a sticky that says READ THE MANUAL, then ask the questions

robertpriolo, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  7. PPC-Coach

PPC-Coach Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyhow, in order to pass the keyword through, use this:

http://www.yoursite.com/index.php?keyword={keyword}

The adwords system will replace the {keyword} with the keyword that triggered the ad. You can also use:

{creative}
    {ifsearch:search}
    {ifcontent:content}

I wish they had one for match type but they don't right now.

PPC-Coach, Apr 2, 2008 IP
    pgiddy likes this.
  8. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    You can figure out match type by appending a keyword ID to each URL and then parsing it out in your report to show keyword and match type.

robertpriolo, Apr 2, 2008 IP
    pgiddy likes this.
  9. pgiddy

pgiddy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everybody. I had found the link GuyFromChicago mentioned, but that pertains only to {keyword} specifically. I still haven't found any official documentation on {creative}, and it looks like a matchtype doesn't exist without a little creativity.

Okay, I think I see what you mean. So {keyword} will pass the phrase the user typed in, but what will pass the keyword ID bidded on so the two can be compared?

pgiddy, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  10. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    yup that is correct, and your SQL databasing your data collection you should be able to make the link to match type very easily.

robertpriolo, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  11. pilar

pilar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi buddy, perhaps I have found a thread with big information for you, see here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=776182

Let me know if this is what you were searching for.

Good luck!

pilar, Apr 3, 2008 IP