1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some help getting forum members(article)

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by ninjashoes, Mar 28, 2008.

I figured since I see so many people on here in desperation trying to get members for their forum I would make my first blog entry about it.

How to get members for your forum.

I noticed so many people on webmaster forums asking how they can get more members to their forum. I will be the first to tell you that its one of the hardest things I have ever done. You might as well just bookmark this article now because your gonna want to come back and refer to it.

First your gonna have to ask yourself what a forum is. If you were to ask me this is what I would tell you.

What is a forum?

Here are my answers.

1.Its an information database - This means that if your forum is about artwork then chances are theres going to be tons and tons of information and peoples experiences related to artwork. People will use the search function on your forum to search thro....read the rest here

ninjashoes, Mar 28, 2008 IP
    Coolalex and qazu like this.
  2. Coolalex

Coolalex Banned

Best Answers:
    Great read, I bookmarked it! +Reputation for you!

Coolalex, Mar 30, 2008 IP
    ninjashoes likes this.
  3. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll second that! Great read. I wasn't going to bother with a forum but might reconsider. Thanks for sharing. :)

qazu, Mar 30, 2008 IP
    ninjashoes likes this.
  4. Allen

Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed, that's a post really worth reading.

However I've got few other ideas to promote one's forums, such as:
    • Create custom pages for different groups of people, e.g.:
      • Why should I join this Forums? (non-members)
      • Search this Forums in 3 easy steps (all visitors)
    • Make Contests on Forums, e.g.:
      • Best helpful thread/Tutorial/Guide (once a month or so) - used it myself and it's a great motivator for members to post quality content on forums (at first you can sponsor few small prizes, like a Pendrive or a cool Game/Movie/Music Group poster (depends on your forums niche))
    • Use non-standard hacks on your forums (reasonable amount), e.g.:
    • vBulletin: there's smth like "Welcome Headers Hack" - though, vB Team is about to introduce similar, build-in functionality (way more cool :D) - target these messages to different users (members, all visitors, No-Posters, non-members, posters with or at least X post...) to motivate them.
    And a lot more to think of, such as marketing, PR, making connections with some companies to create Help Forums for some topics (like Ask Our SEO/Diet/CPE Exam Expert..).

If anyone need help with forums promotion do not hesitate to ask :)

Allen, Mar 31, 2008 IP
    ninjashoes likes this.
  5. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These are some great bits of advice you added. One thing I would like to add to the contest part you mentioned is that theres mods for forum software like Vbulletin that can give your forum a fake money system and a store where you can buy stuff like name changes or change other people avatars.

When you have contests you can give out fake money so that way you can have a prize to give for your contests.

When people get fake money on a per post basis it can encourage them to post too.

ninjashoes, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  6. Allen

Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    You gotta be careful with this. Find the right content quality/posts ratio.

Allen, Apr 1, 2008 IP