1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Call not to View "Fitna"

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by wisdomtool, Mar 27, 2008.

First I am not a Muslim but I feel that mutual respect is essential in any relationship. Granted that there is freedom of speech and expression. Lets exercise this freedom not to view "Fitna".

Saying that the world is ever changing is an understatement, we are at the cross roads of a paradigm shift. There is rapid change in the demographics of a lot of nations, especially the increase in Muslims in those countries. The current situation seemed to be of mistrust and there are talks about conspiracies against the Muslim communities.

Such mistrust will only intensify as opportunists makes use of their freedom of speech or expression to make use of Muslims respect towards their religion by insulting the values that Muslims treasured and respected most. They had their 15 minutes of fame, what we get are increasing hostility and hatred among the various religions and ethnic groups. We need to engage our Muslim communities and make them feel that they are part of our society and part of our country and not further alienate them. By alienating the Muslim communities, we are indirectly pushing them into isolation and increasingly into the arms of terrorists who would love such opportunities to convert the frustrated moderate Muslims.

The film makers can exercise their rights to freedom and expression, but lets exercise ours to show our disapproval of such actions.

wisdomtool, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  2. Briant

Briant Peon

Best Answers:
    Too late, I already saw it. It is just hype. What you see in the video is essentially the same thing you can find by spending a few minutes on youtube.

Briant, Mar 27, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  3. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That was precisely my view on Google showing illustrations of the Muslim prophet which upset a lot of people.

Good call. We may not all agree on religion or other matters, but that isn't an excuse to antagonize one another. It is possible for people of different perspectives to co-exist where there is respect and tolerance.

guerilla, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  4. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly speaking this "particular" freedom of speech act by those few guys is hurting alot of people and that is what their motive is.

Jin, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  5. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Given that fundamental muslims have threatened to kill LiveLeak staff forcing them to remove the film and moderate muslims are seeing it as a victory how much "respect" should be given to them?

We have a lot of disrespecting to do before it even comes close to being "mutual".

stOx, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Wisdom, well said. I haven't seen it, and don't plan to, actually.

What you said was exactly right. We can exercise free speech by supporting something, or not supporting something.

In the case of a film, to support it is to see it, and to tell others to see it. To not support it is to not see it, and to advocate to others not to see it.

This is completely different from the Wikipedia issue, of course. In that case, people were not simply clicking away from the page they found offensive, and were not advocating to others not to view the webpage in question, but were actually advocating that Wiki censor its private material in response to their particular sensibility.

Since it was raised in this thread, to compare it to this issue, and your proper response based on your sensibility: The right thing would have been for those opposing these historical representations of the Prophet of Islam to click to another page, to let others know their opinion, and to urge others not to view the page; it wasn't proper to pressure Wiki to strip material, to censor its own private property, in response to their personal view.

Such a view cannot be construed except as a view supporting the imposing of limitations on what others do with their own points of view. Which is why I, for one, opposed it.

Nicely done, Wisdom.

northpointaiki, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  7. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I would beg to differ, the threats of fundamentalists have nothing to do with moderate Muslims.

wisdomtool, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  8. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So moderate muslims aren't celebrating liveleaks decision to pull the movie?

stOx, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  9. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    NPT, I think I should add what I found on Wikipedia:

On March 22, the Dutch Muslim Broadcasting Association (NMO) offered to air the film if they could preview the film for any possible illegal material and Wilders would take part in a debate after the airing with proponents and opponents. Wilders declined, saying "No way, NMO."

I think this proves Wilders knows he only wanted to take verses out of context and smear Muslims in accordance to his xenophobic views, he isn't interested in finding answers, only interested in becoming famous. Otherwise he would have accepted the debate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitna_(film)

ThraXed, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  10. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Moderate Muslim is a funny term, it's like calling yourself a moderate citizen bc there are criminals in the society.

LeoSeo, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  11. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I am not a Muslim, I really can't say for moderate or fundamentalist Muslims. What I am saying is moderate Muslims are distinct from fundamentalist Muslims.

I won't go so far as to speculate as how they wouldn't think.

wisdomtool, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  12. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Thraxed, the link you have led me to a dead end on Wiki - nothing there. Not sure what happened.

I actually don't know much about this film, but from what I've read, I don't want to. Looks to me like more scripted polemic. If the videos of young children describing Jews as pigs, etc., is an inhuman tragedy, so is this film, in my opinion - I long ago concluded that the assholes murdering in the name of your faith do not represent Islam itself and Muslims generally, so the film says nothing new.

Personally, I think the best response is what Wisdom is advocating - forgo seeing it, tell others your opinion. I do remember something from the '60's (I'm that old)...something along the line of "imagine if they called a war and no one showed up." Something like that here.

13. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, you have to add an extra ' ) ' at the end as it dosen't include it in the link.

ThraXed, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  14. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    That's a good point, Leo. I don't know - it's just a sad world. I hope for the day when we all see each other for what we are, and not the host of associations that have unfortunately come to be a part of our landscape.

15. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see how anyone can hold this view when the quran implicitly justifies what these "assholes" are doing in the name of islam.

All religious people cherry pick what bits they want to believe, So any muslims who don't condone killing, erm, well done.... But let's not pretend that it isn't in the book.

stOx, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  16. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    It isn't St0x, read the book from front to back then make accusatons. I'm sure everyone here could easily refute your claims with evidence.

ThraXed, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  17. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you wisdomtool.
    No one should watch these movies that look to make a quick buck from the bleeding cultural and religious wounds that exist in our society.

I won't be watching this one.

lightless, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  18. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Come on ThraXed, You aren't going to sit there and tell such blatant lies and expect people to take you seriously are you?

stOx, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  19. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    Show me the verse you're talking about and you will get a fair rebuttal with evidence then you can make your own mind up.

ThraXed, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  20. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Haha ....... logic ....... brains .... humanity ...... interfere with robotically carrying out what's written in the book.

It's a very old book and back then war and killing enemies and such types of stuff was common.
    Times have changed somewhat

lightless, Mar 28, 2008 IP