1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Don't judge a book ...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Blogmaster, Dec 22, 2004.

by the person who runs it. there are some extremely popular directories out there run by those who have a lot of influence in the seo world.

however that doesn't mean those are going to benefit you.
    do your research.
    Some of those directories have been basically "raped and abused" with unrelated content, links, ads etc and an exchange will benefit them, not you.

DP is doing great with coop, there is no doubt and that is not who I am talking about.

naming the sites out there that will drain yours could be considered slander so I will not even go there.

I am just saying, follow the masses and you may get buried.

Mike

Blogmaster, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  2. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Mike, you have a silk tongue.

So very very true. :)

john_loch, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    sitetutor - care to elaborate a bit more on what you have said?

Sure, some directories are better to submit to than others, but Im not quite following what your saying...

dcristo, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  4. awall19

awall19 Berserker

Best Answers:
    >but Im not quite following what your saying...

I think he is saying some of the directories have no intent of being longterm directories and do not care about delivering any actual longterm value.

I think it is a hard balance to start up a directory because
    -it takes at least $3,000 - $5,000 to even begin a solid directory link popularity building program
    -many people want to submit to the wrong category with the wrong anchor text to gain the maximum possible value out of their listing
    -it takes way more time to build a quality database than most directory owners think it will when they start
    -some directories do not add any sites for free and many of the best sites will not submit, so a directory will not represent the quality content which exists on the web if it only takes paid submissions

directories on the surface appear to be a quick and easily profitable business model, but delivering longterm value and developing a database is a ton of work.

awall19, Dec 23, 2004 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Sure I can see what you mean. Building a good quality directory definately takes alot of time and effort, two things I want to invest on my directory to make it a valuable resource on the web.

dcristo, Dec 23, 2004 IP