1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is you Site listed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by USPB, Dec 3, 2007.

?

Is you Site listed in DMOZ???

1. Yess

40.2%
  2. No

59.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that quote of mine certainly could be construed as what you made me say...

Getting:
    out of:

would likely be a true sign of common sense :rolleyes:

You said it and have shown that is how you post here.

Qryztufre, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:

Hey where is Truth ?

In your post there were none as you have different shaky opinions and lies.

honesty ?
    What's honesty when you give advices in different point of views. While you preach how dmoz accepts only unique content your advices are shaky and dmoz still list sites that don't have unique content.

integrity ?

Where's integrity where forum members needs your help and you don't provide that even on specific terms on how to improve their website. What's the use ? This is about the Digital Point Forums and members on how can we obtain good sites and get it listed as quick as possible and not about your bull opinions.

popotalk, Mar 27, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  3. BLUEMIRROW

BLUEMIRROW Peon

Best Answers:
    No listing for me yet,still waiting maybe one day :)

BLUEMIRROW, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Submit it again to a Regional category where your from.

5. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    Nonsense

Submit it not where you are from, but under the location site is about/if the site is about something Regional :)/; well pointed address under "About us" or "Contacts" is enough.

budalata, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    If I have a site that has multiple areas listed in it's contact information would it be wise to submit to each of those regional categories?

I guess not though, as on the add page it says that
    and step three says
    Even the actual submit page says this under its second point:
    So honestly, I'd be leary of anyone saying to submit to more then one location, even topical AND regional...

So while I know you are posting from personal experience as a DMOZ editor, the suggest an url page does seem to contradict trying to get in topical and regional...

7. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, Popo doing a great job of making sure than none of his competition gets listed.

People, this is a sure-fire way of NOT getting you site listed. If you submit to multiple categories and keep on doing it, you run a great risk of having the site black-listed.

The best advice (and this is ADVICE, not instructions) is really to find the best category in the non-regional, non-world branch of the directory and submit once there. Then, if your business has a regional presence that is obvious from the website (i.e. your business address on the site) submit it once to the correct locality (and topical subcategory of it if it exists) and then, if your site is also in other languages, to the correct category for the language in the "World" branch). ....and then move on and not spend hours and hours complaining about the ODP on forums when you could be earning good money truly promoting sites....

ETA: If your business has multiple offices in different localities, then the correct category is the one which encompasses all locations. So, for example, if all of your locations are in one county, submit to the county category, not to each locality. If they are in different counties but in one state, submit to the state. Also, most business are listed not based on coverage area, but on the location of their offices. This applies most to businesses like Real Estate. Exceptions to this are things like come-to-you businesses, like Taxicabs, that *are* listed by coverage area.

Alucard, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So say I had a news site that covered all the cities in a given county, then I should submit to the county level? If that site covered all the county in the state, then I should submit to the state level? I would really prefer a listing in each individual location, as such things are known to happen...

9. Photon

Photon Member

Best Answers:
    I submitted a few of my sites but they never got listed. It would have been nice if they were but it's no big deal.

Photon, Mar 27, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  10. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What is or Who is DMOZ?:eek:

Is it the online third world where one can pay its way to get his/her site listed?
    Certainly -- getafreelancer.com says so.

So it is totally a SPAMMY site on WWW and has no-value.
    Who still cares to get company with spammers?

jhnrang, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  11. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you should. Editors will then evaluate the site and, if it is considered to have enough noteworthy content, they can then choose internally to do so-called "deeplinking" of individual pages. This has been done for such sites as IMDB, Wikipedia, Weather.Com, various recipe sites and others. Those were editorial decisions, reached at by a discussion and editor consensus.

Staff, of course, can always make decisions that over-ride editor decisions, as is their right as the owners of the directory. Sometimes this decision is not to deeplink a site, sometimes it is to deeplink it when editors feel it should not be.

Yes, of course you would, and so would anybody trying to promote their sites. However it's not something you can control. Editors are supposed to look at the site and will make the decision as to how good a resource they feel it is.

Look I know what point you are continuing to beat to death, here - twist it around and ask the question as many ways as you will, I don't think you are going to get anything new.

Alucard, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok Alucard since there is still a sane editor that don't answer in CIRCLES, will you agree on an online demo on how this works ? After this I will even help you out in this very forum and I hope we could make things work much better on both sides. I will give you my word that I will help you out as best as I can in this forum to answer webmasters inquiries. Just let me know if you accept. We won't be needing any smokescreen or whatever shaky guidelines crap. We could start it immediately and I know very well that your a good editall and you could give online live advice.

Just let me know.

Let me know

13. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by an "online demo"?

Alucard, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We'll review a site here live. This will be an online demo of how things works and minimizing crap inquiries of why my site is not listed. I can help you out in this very forum to view / review sites from this and the days to come. No more of these crap like sh*t throwing on both sides. And I will give you my word that I will help out too with this project. We can start reviewing 1 site now live and I will make a new thread for this.

15. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No..I've submitted all of my sites at least once, and none have been indexed. I also signed up to become an editor of a small little game section that hardly had any submissions, and YES, they turned me down. The DMOZ gang is a bunch of losers in my book, and I could give a shit if I ever get a single site in their directory.

christian231, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I hope you formed that opinion AFTER you were rejected, otherwise your book is a bit funny ;) :p

Though why were you rejected?

MaryMary likes this.
  17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I'll pass on that one, thanks. Maybe someone else would like to take you up on your offer.

Alucard, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL ! That says it all.

Shaky Advices and Nothing More Like a Chicken to the Rescue!!!

[​IMG]

19. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ha ha yeah..that would have been a lousy attitude going in. I've never put much stock in DMOZ, because all I hear is how they manipulate the directory to their own advantage. I've submitted probably 10-20 sites there over the years, and not one has ever been added. Strange way of running a directory, but I guess they can do what they please.

Couldn't say why I was rejected. This is the email response I received:

christian231, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  20. USPB

USPB Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, this will be of great help. BTW I submitted 6 months ago, one of my other sites. Do you think I shall resubmit?

USPB, Mar 28, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.