1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got Banned because of URL Cloaking?

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by keikor, Mar 9, 2006.

1. PedstersPlanet

PedstersPlanet Peon

Best Answers:
    PedstersPlanet, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  2. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    okay... but someone said no url redirects... how about if you use these for tracking of traffic from certain sites. like if you have links on other sites to your site like: http://www.xyz.com/track.php?go=1234 and it redirects to page http://www.xyz.com/1234.html

is that considered bad? this URL cloaking thing is confusing and new to me.

cgo85, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  3. keikor

keikor Peon

Best Answers:
    I have no idea what that site is all about but i certainly am not sure how to make those kind of page and the purpose behind it.

Anyway, i still haven't received any reply from the search marketing team. :(

keikor, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  4. Dzebo35

Dzebo35 Peon

Best Answers:
    i didnt know url cloaking was against their TOS, but then again i dont use it.

Dzebo35, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  5. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    After I searched the support files, I called YPN about the 301 thing. They weren't able to answer right away, and they said they would call back. I had to go out, and when I got back I found message on my machine from the YPN Team: 301 redirects are no problem.

Now, you all must understand that I am referring to simple 301 redirects, like:

redirect 301 /index.html http://www.amcy.org/
    Code (markup):
    So, obviously there's a clear diference between doing a 301--as above--and URL cloaking--PedstersPlanet has posted a perfect example of URL cloaking for all to see.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  6. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Are u referring to placing ads on a 404 page? If so, I think it's a bad idea, since only content pages should have ads: error pages don't qualify as content pages.

Of course, as always, IMO.

AmCy

7. Alva Ed

Alva Ed Peon

Best Answers:
    Panchovilla, thank you very much.

Alva Ed, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  8. keikor

keikor Peon

Best Answers:
    after closer examination, i think they are framing the page free.fr which is like a big site in france. And i have no idea why they wanna do that.

But yea, my site is being framed by another site because that site is like a directory and its purpose is to frame others contents. Well, it's bringing in high traffic for me these few days, to be exactly, it's like 2 days ago, so i guess it won't hurt.

The thing is I can't stop people from framing me right? It's just like how do you stop about.com to frame your content. See this about framing page for example:-
    http://freebies.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=freebies&zu=http://www.spychecker.com/

This is not my site, just an example of how google ads are put on the site being framed. Replace that with ypn and that explains my current situation?

:(

keikor, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  9. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Right, so if someone running a "bad" site is framing your site using IFRAME, then this could cause problems.

But if the site framing your site is legit, then you should have nothing to worry about.---->I put out a new press release today with PRWeb, and PRweb now uses IFRAME with their releases, which is cool because folks who view my release can see my site's live homepage inside the release, and navigate within my site inside of my press release document, if they want to. Would YPN ban me if a visitor clicked on an ad that was being displayed inside of the PRWeb IFRAME? No: because PRWeb is a very well established press release entity, so a ban wouldn't make sense.

If I were you, I would call up YPN and ask them which site caused the problem. You can then take action against the site i.e. have them stop the framing, and then you can contact YPN again and let them know about the actions you took to stop the "URL cloaking."

Of course, you may have already communicated something like this in the email you sent. But why not call? Quicker answer, yes?

As always, IMO.

AmCy

10. keikor

keikor Peon

Best Answers:
    I did call for support but they said it's a totally different department and theres no way to contact search marketing department. I can only email and reply back them.

However, theres an address line listed under the email and it's just like 25 mins drive from my place. Maybe i should start a nother thread about trip to search marketing department.

keikor, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  11. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Oh, right. You did post that earlier. My bad.

Just my opinion: visiting them without an appointment may be misconstrued, if you see what I mean. It may be crossing that professional boundary. Of course, I could be wrong. Just MO.

AmCy

12. SamOwen

SamOwen Peon

Best Answers:
    What? That's crazy. My site is not about religion but I do have a Christian forum (one of many) on my biggest forum site. It has lots of forums for different topics and one of them is a Christian forum. Can I be banned for that? My site is not a Christian based site. How can I stop my members from talking about politics and religion on a general forum site? I mean it's part of life.

SamOwen, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  13. PedstersPlanet

PedstersPlanet Peon

Best Answers:
    FWIW, I'm not affiliated with that site I gave lol...... I know that dot.tk cloaks the domains (only the free .tk's I may add), so I wanted to show everyone an exact example of a cloacked url :)

PedstersPlanet, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  14. keikor

keikor Peon

Best Answers:
    :( It's been the third business day and i have yet to received any reply from the yahoo search marketing department.

I think they already received my replies but chose to ignore them because there are too many ypn publishers right now and i am just a small fish in the pond.

Anyway, just to rant a bit. Very dissapointed. :(

keikor, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  15. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    I would give them some more time. These kinds of things often have to go up the chain of command, then come down again before a decision is relayed.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  16. thame

thame Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think I've ever received a reply when I tried contacting them through email. I just call...it's alot quicker.

thame, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  17. DomainMaster

DomainMaster Banned

Best Answers:
    Back in November I emailed them twice and got a response within 24 hours.

DomainMaster, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  18. cyberknight

cyberknight Peon

Best Answers:
    URL cloaking usually involves using a frame. The web page frame is the URL that stays in the address bar, while the main part of the website loads another URL.

Donna

cyberknight, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  19. keikor

keikor Peon

Best Answers:
    In that case, i did not violate the policy because i am not framing others WHILE putting ypn ads on. I was being framed by others WITH my ypn ads on.

keikor, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  20. parad0x

parad0x Active Member

Best Answers:
    URL cloaking is the thing that when a user clicks on domain.com/a.php , address bar remains as domain.com. Nasty seo tactic :p

parad0x, Mar 15, 2006 IP