1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some may say more sites with adsense equals more money

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by MediaHustler, Mar 13, 2006.

Ya that's what I said up untill now. I thought if I had more sites with adsense my money would increase. Well it stayed the same a drop in one site a gain in a new site to level it off. All in all I think if you have the right niche for one site... That's all you need. I messed up, but I am doing what I love and it's webdesigning. And now i'm doing 2 things that I love Video Games + Web Designing (www.TookTheLead.com Nice name huh? ;) ). Maybe because i'm only 15 and i'm just now learning how the biz works. But for all you out there Multiple sites can be very productive if you have time, but don't make the mistake I did and get 3 sites and expecting your adsense earnings to increase.

Your thought's?

MediaHustler, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  2. azn_romeo_4u

azn_romeo_4u Peon

Best Answers:
    it depends on what type of site. I think I read a thread somewhere around here, that was titled, 10 10,000 web pages, or 1 100,000 web page. I think people said they rather have the 10 websites with 10,000 web pages each.

With one website, you are probably only targetting one thing or maybe a few keywords. With different sites you can target other keywords maybe of higher value.

If you want to get rich off of one site, then it's best to have a lot of traffic.

azn_romeo_4u, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  3. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is no right or wrong answer to how many sites you need to have, but as you found out, more sites does not automatically equal more money. Too many people make the mistake of trying to get a bunch of sites up before they have one income producing site perfected.

Once you have one site that reaches your goal, you can add others if you want. If you stick with something you have a genuine interest in it will certainly increase your chances of being successful as it will give you more motivation to keep at it. Of course you need to be in a sector that is popular or has enough searches to provide good traffic.

I have sites where I rank #1 in all three search engines, yet as it is in a specialized niche it is never going to be a high traffic site. I have other sites that in competitive sectors where the rankings are much lower yet it produces 100x the revenue.

Forums can be tougher than other types of more static sites - especially to get off the ground. They need a lot of work initially and will require constant monitoring and input. The users can also become adsense blind and result in a lower CTR, but it is certainly possible to become very successful even with lower paying clicks. It's a constant learning experience and every day you have the opportunity to learn something new and eventually you might want to try adding other sites. Anyone wanting to get into making money on a serious level should expect to put a lot of time into research and give it at least a year. It might not take that long, but adsense is not a get rich quick scheme despite what a lot of the ebooks might lead you to believe.

My first months income didn't come close to paying my electric bill, but each month was a little better. After a year it really started to take off and I have exceed all initial goals (you always need to raise the bar) - but there were certainly doubts during that period.

If you put in the hours, experiment, don't cut corner, and have the drive to succeed - you can eventually hit ANY monetary goal you set for yourself. You should expect to try things that just don't work, in fact, if you are succesful at every site you do you aren't being innovative, creative enough and pushing the envelope.

Good luck to you.

mjewel, Mar 13, 2006 IP
    NewBeing, exam, Jat and 1 other person like this.
  4. MarceloRipaJr

MarceloRipaJr Guest

Best Answers:
    what I think is that if you can be sure to improve your sites (create more pages, do advertising, do link building), then there's nothing wrong with having many sites. what is wrong is when you just create a MFA site and just leave it there.

More sites = more responsibility.

if you can take the responsibility then don't worry about it. :)

MarceloRipaJr, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  5. MediaHustler

MediaHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whats MFA?

6. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Made For Adsense

exam, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  7. MediaHustler

Best Answers:
    I'm taking 3 of your names tomorrow.

8. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Marcelo, if your plan is to add more sites in order to increase your AS revenue, then you must put an equal effort into every site. If you maintain one site and add another and do nothing with it, of course your revenue will remain the same.

We all know that AS, even with one website, won't generate anything unless you put in some elbow grease.

If you want to run umpteen sites with AS to increase revenue, work on them one at a time... set one up, get it going to where you're well off, put in just a tiny more effort to make sure it can sustain itself with a little less labor, then work on a second site... it'll be a slow process, but let's face it, you'll be putting in the same amount of work in the end.

sketch, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  9. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started off with 1 site, and since it has been making steady progress, i've moved on to 2 new projects. But the time and commitment towards my 1st site has always been unmatched.

And of course with 1 site a success, you probably learn a whole lot of new things to implement to your newer sites, which means you are effectively MORE efficient, and that is a important factor is deciding whether your site can survive in the dog eat dog world out there.

Nystul, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  10. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    having more sites would be better from a security standpoint, because if one ad sector you are in takes a hit, and your other sites were in different sectors that didn't tank, your overall income would take less of a hit.

it's also more secure to have multiple sites on different servers, in case one server goes down, or there is a blackout over a branch of the internet that your server is on... it's happened before; sometimes it's the entire server data center that goes down.

danimal, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  11. MediaHustler

Best Answers:
    Ya I think my biggest problem was not establishing sites as I got them. Like my first one I got it to like 70% I bought another got it to 30% and bought another. I should met my goals and moved on like you all are saying. You only learn from your mistakes.

12. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Come again?

exam, Mar 13, 2006 IP
    Seiya likes this.
  13. MediaHustler

Best Answers:
    I have 3 school exams tomorrow. I know it was lame.

14. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Some others say more traffic to a site with good ctr equals more money. Er , i mean I say :p

If you dont already rank #1 on google for a term on your site .... well then thats what you should be focusing on, not making more sites. Good luck.

Seiya, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  15. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Those some sayers are those selling ebooks and programs that they say will increase your adsense income just by having hundreds, thousands of sites.
    Yeah, if you believe some sayers, better have deep pockets!

It is easy to put up hundreds of sites per day, but who has time to keep track of them, promote them, etc?

No, the majority sayers go for building one site up before moving to another one.

Never believe the some sayers who say if you have one adsense site making 5 bucks a day, you can have 100 sites making 500 bucks a day.
    The some sayers never tell you the time and money involved to get 100 sites up to earning 5 bucks per day per site.
    The some sayers just want to sell you their crappy products.

iowadawg, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  16. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    It has a lot to do with Maintenance and Quality Control; and also with your revenue goals. If you are shooting for $20/day then you can probably make 20 sites earning on average $1/day without too much trouble. But you'll probably never hit $100/day if you are splitting time between improving and maintaining 20 sites.

I've spent a great deal of time learning about this stuff over the past year, and I've come to the following conclusions:

1) Focus on making your site high quality.
    2) Streamline your site management.
    3) Build a system to monitor your own productivity.

I've gone down all the wrong paths because of minor distractions. You can spend a month increasing your CTRs by analyzing different placements, layout options, etc. but what good is a 15% CTR if you only have a few hundred or a couple of thousand visitors daily? What good is that CTR if you aren't retaining any of the visitors you receive? Your site should not be a place that people find in a search engine, then click away at the first ad impression. It should be a site that people come back to, see relevant ads, and occasionally leave for a while to check out the advertisers.

Think about this - if you are receiving 1,000 visitors daily from search engines, receiving an average click-payment of $.10 and have a 10% CTR, then you are getting 100 clicks x $.10 = 10.00 daily or $300/month.

Now if you have a quality site and have a 30% user retention but only a 5% CTR, you end up with a total 10,000 daily visitors by the end of 30 days which will account for 500 clicks x $.10 = 50.00 daily with a perpetual daily increase in income of $1.50.

The key to making money isn't keywords, click through rates, quantity of pages or anything like that - it's visitor retention and community building. The above example probably is difficult to sustain - nobody turns 30% of their search engine traffic into daily visitors, but it's a simple extrapolation of an important concept.

nevetS, Mar 14, 2006 IP
    exam likes this.
  17. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    nevetS, my experience with return visitos is that they get ad blindness and dont click anymore.

Do you think that dosnt really apply?

Seiya, Mar 14, 2006 IP
    exam likes this.
  18. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is some truth in what you say, however, when you get a site making $5 a day, you will have gained experience for your next site and that site may make more or less. Experiment with enough sites and you'll be surprised one day with a $100 a day site.

Depending on what type of sites you focus on, it is certainly possible to operate 100 sites - and I'm not talking about scapper sites, but custom designed sites with original content. You don't need a hundred page site to make a lot of money. You can have a single 10 page site making 5 figures a month. One site a week for two years is certainly possible.

Every site isn't going to work. Every site isn't going to make $5 a day, but you will also find niche sites that make a lot more than $5 a day and with 100 sites, averaging more than $5 day per site is certainly a goal that can be obtained.

There certainly isn't anything easy about the process of creating a hundred sites, it just takes dedication and time. It's a slow process and you'll learn more with every site.

Take the time to learn html and CSS. If you stick to stock templates, it shows and your design is going to suffer at some point. The average visitor makes a decision on your site in less than a second. The first impression is very critical.

Take a screen shot of the ad block you are going to be running and use that image to design your site around it. If you try to incorporate your ads after the fact, they stand out and will take a lot more editing time. You don't want your ads to stand out like a sore thumb and look like you threw up ads which look unnatural. You don't need a plaster a site with ads either. Less is more.

Research your topic. Picking the right topics is key. Forget about starting with a mortgage or other high paying keyword site initially (the competition is fierce). Then ask yourself why someone would want to go to your site? What benefit are you providing to the vistor? A site with nothing but an Amazon feed isn't offering anything unique.... i.e. If you are running camera ads, provide the visitor with reviews or opinons that help the visitor. Check your stats to see if your site is being bookmarked. While it is only an estimate, it still gives you an idea of what visitors think of your site.

Market the site. If you don't take the time to build backlinks or promote it, you either need to pay for traffic (which is expensive and certainly won't work in a lot of cases). Put aside an hour every day to building backlinks (exchanges, PR's, articles, etc).

Read DigitalPoint every day. Everything you need to know to make six figures and more per year is on this site. Forget about buying some ebook from someone else. If you are making $500,000 a year, you aren't going to write a book telling anyone exactly how you did it - at least not if it still works.

Accept the fact you are going to have sites that just don't work no matter how hard you try. At some point, you need to move on. Chalk it up as a learning experience and take something from it.

There isn't any one right way, there just isn't any easy way. The captial required is next to nothing. You need a domain name, $5 a month for an unlimited site hosting plan, and the drive to make it work by putting in a lot of hours.

Running a hundred sites can be done by a single person - not forums or blogs, but you don't need 100 sites to make a good income either.

mjewel, Mar 14, 2006 IP
    nevetS likes this.
  19. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Ad blindness is a problem that needs to be dealt with, but it's not an altogether unsolvable problem. In forums or in photo galleries, I think it's probably a bigger problem than in other areas.

Potential solutions include varying ad location, ad placement in a hot zone, varying ad colors, and inspiring recurring discussion of advertisers within your community. I'm not a millionaire or a web guru - I'm learning like the rest of us, but I think that my thought process makes sense.

nevetS, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  20. Moto

Moto Guest

Best Answers:
    In my experience I've found that many smaller sites doesn't equal more money.

You can make a lot more money with 1 site doing 1 million page views than you can with 10 sites doing 100,000 page views. This is because the 1 million page view site has access to more revenue souces than the 10 smaller sites.

For example, the eCPM at The TechZone is way higher than the eCPM on my new site, Laptop Gamers, because TheTechZone has access to direct advertisers and special deals that Laptop Gamers can't get because it's too small.

Many small sites depend on Google for their revenue. As you get bigger, Google becomes nice "pocket change".

Moto, Mar 14, 2006 IP