1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to convert more visitors who add product to cart?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by skanxalot, Mar 14, 2006.

Lately I've been noticing a large drop-off rate between the 'add to cart' page and the first step in the checkout process. I'm curious as to how you entice these visitors who have made that initial step to continue through the checkout process. Do you use any kind of incentive or promotion to keep those visitors?

skanxalot, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    A couple of things that helped me:

Make sure delivery fees are shown before they even enter their shipping details.
    Make sure the checkout button highlights as soon as there's something in the basket so they can't miss it.
    Make it look like the next steps are easy peasy and secure.

T0PS3O, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can you give us the site you are referring to?

Generally, you want to make the process as smooth and simple as possible. Things like required registration, high shipping prices, and not showing shipping prices early on are customer killers.

Other simple things can help like a progress meter, showing shipping prices in the first step of the cart, very clean form layouts. There are so many factors that go into a visitor making a decision to purchase.

If you haven't ever read any of Bryan Eisenburgs articles, I would highly recommend it. I would also recommend both of his books.

Bryan's Articles at Clickz - http://clickz.com/experts/author/index.php/19333

jestep, Mar 14, 2006 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Make the layout really clean and get rid of a few external links to stop them distracting the users.

The most valuable thing you can ever do when creating or evaluating a site is to stand behind somebody who isn't computer literate and watch how they use and navigate your pages.
    Do this with 10 people and I guarantee that you will be redesigning your site quite a lot.

mad4, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  5. Sir Tom

Sir Tom Banned

Best Answers:
    I second that. 95% of the time I add something to my cart and then leave the website is because I was unaware of the shipping price early on (and thus the price is no longer worth the item) or because registration is required.

Sir Tom, Mar 14, 2006 IP