1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress is being very annoying :(

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by aim_high, Mar 24, 2008.

So I have a blog, the middle content column drops down under the side bars in IE 6. It is perfectly fine in FF and IE 5.5, 7 though. I copied my theme folder into a test sub domain wordpress. It works in IE 6 !! I then disabled all of my plugins to see if that was the problem and it wasnt. What else could be different between the two?!?!?!

thanks

aim_high, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  2. MartinN

MartinN Guest

Best Answers:
    I really hear your pain - I've wasted hours trying to get FF and IE6 to get close to looking like each other. :confused:

My guess is to look closely at your CSS - especially that the floats and widths are right.

I know when my columns drop below the rest in IE6 I simply lower the size of the pixels - ie: make the columns smaller.

I know there's probably a better solution - but I get sick and tired of wasting time on such issues - when there shouldn't be any: IE6 is not playing by the rules by following standards. :mad:

MartinN, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  3. fabriciogr

fabriciogr Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's really hard to tell with out seeing ur site nor css..

as mentioned it's more than likely an css issue or bug that needs sorted..

you can either fix your current css so it works all the browser u mentioned

or if ur like me (lazy) make an override exception of ie6 and that center column.

this way u wont have to break ur head trying to fix that same css to work perfectly accross all browsers and u can have a nice and quick fix

fabriciogr, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  4. aim_high

aim_high Peon

Best Answers:
    but i copied the problem theme folder and uploaded it onto another subdomain. it works fine on the sub domain though! So I thought that maybe it was the plugins I had, so i disabled all of them and it still didnt work. the weird thing is that when i download the problem theme folder, the downloaded version has a larger file size.

aim_high, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  5. fabriciogr

fabriciogr Active Member

Best Answers:
    make sure all the same css files are being loaded in main site and subdomain testing site..

also if it's an IE6 problem it can be a content issue.. maybe one of your post has a word toooooooo long which it is making the center column stretch...

i'm assuming you only copied theme from main site to subdomain testing site and not content... so try copying content to test site and play with unpublishing or deleting some of the post on ur home page and u might find the trouble there..

if that's the issue u'll have to force a word-wrap / word-break in ur css

fabriciogr, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  6. XTreMe

XTreMe Banned

Best Answers:
    there will be definitely mistake in a theme and don't blame wordpress

XTreMe, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  7. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    check the column's width, margins, padding or borders in CSS (or vspace/hspace). It is most likely one of those issues.

Pixelrage, Mar 25, 2008 IP