1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you meditate?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by WeedGrinch, Mar 22, 2008.

?

Do you meditate?

1. Yes, and I will give you some tips!

32.0%
  2. Yes, and I won't help you.

12.0%
  3. No.

56.0%
  1. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. I use silva's method's too. Good stuff.

Self-hypnotism is just about as good as meditation if you know what you are doing.
    They are both good , just have different flavours.

lightless, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  2. vibinhari

vibinhari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you think "nothing" how do those sadhus attain enlightenment? :D

vibinhari, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  3. Algert

Algert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I meditate 1 hour per week, quite useful.

Algert, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  4. johndoes

johndoes Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I've read a few books on meditation and here's my couple of words that might get you started. Even these can make you feel relaxed and free minded.

Here's the story:

There's absolutely nothing like "thinking nothing" for a beginner. Altough it is said to be the highest level of a brain can reach, I have never heard of any living person doing that. If you can do that, then you actually don't need meditation cause that means you have full control over your brain. But that's not possible. The reason is obvious - the brain has the control. Thus, thinking nothing is never gonna happen for yourself. Even if you think about thinking nothing, that's thinking something. You can try as hard as you can and tell me the results. Hehe, if you try it hard enough, you'll probably be thinking of achiving it and coming back here telling me.

Instead, the idea is to concentrate on something. This can be anything. A book, a mountain, whatever. Just try to concentrate on that, and try to think nothing else. Not your precious website, not how much you make a day, not the ways of hacking adsense and making a few dollars more - nothing. Just concentrate on the "thing". If you happen to think about anything else, just pick up your mind, and retstart thinking about the "thing".

I know it's first thing last but, your physical situation has almost equal affect on the state of mind. You must be in a relaxed shape of body to reach that state of mind. You must not be in a crowded / noisy place. Every sound you hear, every object that flies over your head makes your brain think and you lose the concentration.

So how will you that?

- Find a "quite" room having enough free space.
    - Lack of light will aid your concentration, so preferably keep it dark.
    - Sit down on the floor on your butts, move both of your legs to your front, making your
    body an "L" shape. Then pull your feet to your body while keeping them still on the ground. And finally cross your legs to end up in a "v" shape looking from the front. (search for "lotus" on the net. It's the actual sitting position, but it's quite hard for beginners)
    - Put your both wrists on your knees, and turn your palms up
    - Keep your back and your head straight. This is very important.
    - Close your eyes. And start controlling your breath. Inhale during 3-4 seconds and exhale during 3-4 seconds. I don't know how to tell this in English, but inhale to the lower part of your lungs like singers do (into diaphragm ?) Continue this until you feel comfortable keeping it.
    - Now, choose a "thing" (this has a term, but don't know it in English). And start thinking of it. Maybe you're walking up to a mountain. This is all up to you. Normally, a master gives the "thing" to the pupil to think on, but since we're lacking a master here (no, not me) , you have to figure it yourself.
    - Keep concentrated while closely monitoring your breath. Never speed up. Never open your eyes. Never interact with the surroundings. Just think about the "thing".

Normally, 5 to 10 minutes of this "session" will make you feel real good and fresh. The possible failure points are problems with your body (aching, pain etc), distraction, and the most important is disbelief. This is something you're doing yourself for yourself, and you should believe in relaxing to begin with.

Well, wow. I've written a short article here. I hope that will make some of you tired guys feel better and think more creatively (I want my share).

As you no doubt guess, this is just the beginning. I have more if you're interested, but I'm gonna sell it as a 10$ ebook like many others do here
    (just kidding).

Feel free to ask me if you wonder anything, as you see from the length of the post, I'm a forthcoming person :)

If you liked the post, you might visit my poor site and give me one hit. Getting impressions is harder than meditation. :)

good luck,

PS:I have read all the books in my own language, so I may be messing up the terminology, but the idea is the same.

johndoes, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  5. wwwAD-SENSINGcom

wwwAD-SENSINGcom Banned

Best Answers:
    no lol, i cant stay concentrated.

wwwAD-SENSINGcom, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  6. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You would know that there are many methods and they work in different ways and equally well.
    There is no one true way in meditation and relaxation, that's why they are so appealing :)

As to the no-thought meditation, it doesn't mean "scientifically" thinking nothing, but not consciously thinking or spontaneously thinking [like how you need to eat or something]. Atleast attempt it and that is good enough.

Try to just blank each thought as it comes, terminate a thought as soon as you become aware of it.

lightless, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  7. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Meditation is a very good way of making peace with yourself and as well with the universe...it takes a lot of exercise to meditate...but you need a mentor who you will assist you first and give you the right instructions for meditation. :)

EvcRo, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  8. mokujin

mokujin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No I don't :D

mokujin, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  9. themoneymanishere

themoneymanishere Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I know a little bit about it from watching my peers.
    First off, you need to be in a quiet and peaceful place, usually a temple or someplace like that
    Sit with your legs crossed and close your eyes
    Just sit their and try to get rid of all your thoughts
    Hope i helped

themoneymanishere, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  10. temujin

temujin Peon

Best Answers:
    I practice certain zen meditations all the time.

temujin, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  11. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    No but I would love to start. I heard it's great for relieving stress.

8everything, Mar 24, 2008 IP