1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress.com Blog - To migrate or not to Migrate?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by wisdomtool, Mar 24, 2008.

I had a XXX.wordpress.com blog for sometime, actually wrote about 20 posts and conveniently forgot about it. When I checked yesterday it is a good PR 3! Problem is it is under wordpress.com. Anyone know of a way to transfer such that it will be under blog.myowndomain and also keeps its PR?

Or should I just leave it in wordpress.com?

wisdomtool, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  2. bragn

bragn Peon

Best Answers:
    AFAIR Wordpress' TOS don't tolerate any ads over there.. So if your plan is to monetize the site, I'd say sacrifice the PR and go for the owned domain (since they probably don't allow you to set up your own .htaccess which could save the PR). On the other hand, depending on what you're blog is about, you may be actually able to use a wordpress.com blog as a source of income (indirect), just like Lorelle VanFossen (http://lorelle.wordpress.com) does ;)

bragn, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  3. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could move it, but you won't keep the PR. If you upgraded and added your own domain on the wordpress.com account, maybe that would "shift" the PR to your domain name, but you still couldn't monetize it.

I'd just leave it alone, maybe place a link to your site from it. PR3 isn't that hard to get on wordpress.com anyway, because of all the high PR subpages that end up linking to your blog. (Which you would lose if you moved the blog away from wordpress.com, so the move would drop your PR anyway.)

MTbiker, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  4. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not 100% sure about this but here you go-

Shift it to your own domain ( I think it costs $10/yr on wordpress.com assuming you already have the domain)
    You are still on wordpress.com, but all your previous links and stuff will redirect to the new domain.

After some months, take an export of all your posts, comments, custom fields and categories from your .com blog, and import it to your wp.org blog. It will be in the Wordpress Extended RSS format.

gr8liverpoolfan, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  5. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was going to suggest same as gr8liverpoolfan!!!

gsv13, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.