1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you use Internet Explorer 7 ??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by olddocks, Sep 17, 2007.

1. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    tabs wow, they spoiled us with that on. maybe in version 8 they'll have an auto restore feature for when it crashes...then again FF & Opera have had that featurte forever now. :rolleyes:

timsdd, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I, too, find that funny when someone prefers a browser because it has tabs, as if that should be the deciding factor. Before Firefox had tabs, Opera had them. Before Opera, some other browser did. Tabs are nothing new and have been around for many years. Glad to see IE caught up seven years later with that.

drhowarddrfine, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  3. sray

sray Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am a hardcore fan of Firefox. I dont like any browser except FF. It's the ultimate. :)

sray, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  4. seek4job

seek4job Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO,I have not find any bugs on SMF by using IE

seek4job, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  5. DimitarMK

DimitarMK Peon

Best Answers:
    I use IE 7 just for testing my designs.

DimitarMK, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You will run into bugs on almost all web pages using IE. There are float bugs, box model bugs, margin collapse bugs, and, for your total entertainment, 'haslayout' bugs, etc. Bugs that all other browsers have little to none of.

For example, parent elements are never to expand to contain floated elements. IE routinely does this while no other browser does.

'haslayout' is a flag inside the browser which, until recently, no one was aware of. If you triggered 'haslayout', your web page displayed quite differently than if you didn't. But you never knew exactly why or how it happened. Even now, it can be a mystery as to how you trigger this flag. 'haslayout' does not exist in any other browser.

IE6 does not behave the same as IE7 which does not behave the same as IE8. Hacks for IE6 (such as the star hack) won't work on IE7 and some hacks (like for the 'haslayout' bug) won't work on IE8. None of those hacks apply to any other browser but you must take all three into consideration when you create your web sites being careful to not let them interfere with any other browser (which don't need the hacks).

I've only mentioned three. There are many, many more. It would do us web developers good if IE went away. This week, after finishing my last few pages for a restaurant, I spent 20 hours total just creating hacks for IE.

drhowarddrfine, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  7. StormForum

StormForum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, quite ridiculous Microsoft took 7 years after initial release of tabs to implement it into their browser, it seems only since the development of Internet Explorer 7 they have took this seriously and started building the foundations towards standard browser features.

My opinion on the matter is that Firefox is indeed more secure in terms of having add-ons like NoScript (which I have used beforehand when I had my XP computer having Firefox installed) - and it had blocked every single JavaScript popup on ANY Website, which is quite handy.

I have recently bought a laptop and it had Windows Vista installed, and obviously IE7. I tried it and it was incredibly fast - in terms of opening tabs, and actually opening the browser in the first place. Now I don't know if this is because I have 2GB memory, whereas my desktop computer had a small 256MB - or because of vista has a whole, as others have commented that IE7 is faster in vista also.

I'd like your comments on this, also :).

StormForum, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  8. LOVESTAR!

LOVESTAR! Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion IE is absolutely horrible, I definitely like FireFox a lot more.

LOVESTAR!, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  9. StormForum

StormForum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure about you, but everybody is just saying "Firefox is the best, period" - very dramatic indeed, but you haven't stated your valid point as to why you prefer Firefox. This isn't a very debatable topic if people just say the same thing, just my opinion, but it would be more interesting to here your views into why you prefer Firefox or Internet Explorer, or possibly even a different browser.

StormForum, Mar 23, 2008 IP
    Yankee85 likes this.
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree. Many people just jump on the popular band wagon. Personally, I promote any other browser but IE for technical reasons. I develop web sites and spend far, far too much time rewriting and hacking my markup to make it work in IE. All of my pages generally work fine in all browsers the first time through, save some minor adjustment for this and that. IE, otoh, can require hours of testing, researching, reading to find why that element isn't sitting where it should even though it works in Opera, Safari, Konqueror and Firefox.

iow, if there was no IE, I would save myself, and my customers, hours of work every week.

In addition, there are some really cool techniques I would love to use. I can't because they don't work on IE. SVG is great for graphics. XHTML has some neat things I could use. The DOM is so much better if it only worked in IE, too, like other browsers. IE doesn't really even get javascript right.

I just don't have these issues with other browsers. I'm hoping everyone switches so my job becomes easier.

drhowarddrfine, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  11. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    FF b/c it has better models [​IMG] :D

timsdd, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  12. jackass2007

jackass2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh...boy, she is so HOT :eek: :D

jackass2007, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  13. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    So Hot..

Claudek, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    Yankee85 likes this.
  14. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL, nice pic. "Hot" indeed :))

Yankee85, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  15. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    see , that's a fallacy...no way that guy has a mate :rolleyes:

timsdd, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  16. jackass2007

jackass2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that you ? :rolleyes:

jackass2007, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  17. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    May help to read the thread. Am an Opera User.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Claudek, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  18. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    there you go, I buy that logic :D

timsdd, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  19. himanuzo

himanuzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers: