1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE8 vs FF3

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by worldman, Mar 20, 2008.

?

Who will win?

1. IE8

68 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. FF3

286 vote(s)
    75.3%
  3. Undecided

26 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried FF 1. Switched back to IE 6. IE 7 and FF 2 released. Tried FF 2, switched to IE 7. That's not ignorant, I wasn't happy with FF ;)

Yankee85, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  2. masterpsionic2005

masterpsionic2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    I loved the FF plugins. and Add ons. And TOR network. What turned you off?

masterpsionic2005, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    IE7 is 10 years behind web standards and broken. IE8 has shown some improvements and some regression. That is, it lacks some support that IE7 had. IE6 has had no development on it since 2001 so falling back to that is worse than using IE7.

drhowarddrfine, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  4. rayza

rayza Peon

Best Answers:
    well. both dont exist yet so it's hard to tell who will win. Ie7 is just as good as FF 'cept FF got addons IMO.

rayza, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  5. itrush07

itrush07 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll go for FF3.

itrush07, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  6. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I will always vote for Firefox.

angilina, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically, there is no opinion to be made. IE7 is 10 years behind web standards. IE8, so far, has stumbled out of the gate.

8. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe IE6 or IE5 is, but surely not IE7. Don't throw the mud on IE8, it's just beta yes, and even that, is better than a final FF2 and FF3 beta ;) Face it! :D

9. Syngenetic

Syngenetic Guest

Best Answers:
    FF3 For the win!!!!!!!!

Syngenetic, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  10. Mrguy123

Mrguy123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't even think this will be a contest to be honest, I have stuck with FireFox and I plan on sticking with it in the future, IE is terrible and to much of a target now a days for certain malware scripts.

Mrguy123, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Firefox2 scores a 52 on Acid2 while IE7 scored a 13. IE8 doesn't support xhtml, svg, the DOM after 1998 and much more.

12. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    K-Meleon beats them all.

Jackuul, Mar 22, 2008 IP
    Yankee85 likes this.
  13. designcode

designcode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FF3 = Old problems/bugs fixed.
    IE 8 = Loads of new bugs including old bugs unfixed.

designcode, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  14. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you can state why you would always switch back to IE?

Assuming you actually make web pages, I am fairly certain I can prove you wrong.

SitPoMk, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  15. bigbluesky2006

bigbluesky2006 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm currently running FireFox 2, Opera 9, Avant 11, Flock, Safari 3 & IE8 and can say without any doubt that FireFox has it, followed by Opera. :)

bigbluesky2006, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  16. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I do web development. But just check out the website in my first signature link. It doesn't look so good in FF as it looks on IE 7. That "Add to favorites" link is smaller than it should, fonts are not clear-type...

17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see any difference between IE7 and any other browser on that link. Cleartype is an operating system feature. You can enable cleartype on Firefox by enabling it in the OS. IE is built into the operating system so it can enable cleartype on its own.

You need to read more about how bad IE is. You can Google for the 'haslayout' issue, but you should already know about that. Here are two of the better ones, but I've got hundreds more:

Well, this site won't let me post links yet. One of the best is "Position Is Everything" for a fairly good list of IE bugs and hacks. "Web Dev Out" lists features in red missing from browsers. IE has a long, long column of red.

18. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you create that code manually or was it generated with a WYSIWYG type of program? I'm guessing that it was generated because your own code has *IE Fixes*, or code that tricks IE into displaying the code correctly in the browser, the way it should look by modern web standards.

I didn't inspect your code thoroughly so I don't know if there are any mistakes and I didn't check the doctype. But if that code complies with standards, chances are that the rendering in FF is actually the correct rendering and the IE rendering is messed up.

Have you checked how the page looks with other popular browsers? Safari? Opera? Konqueror? If they display it the same way FF does, that must mean they do it correctly and IE isn't.

-Sash

SitPoMk, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  19. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can I ask a question to all of those here. Who makes the WC3 the governor of web languages? They have their standards, no one has to follow it if they want. Just don't use IE use FF. But if everyone is going to use IE you better as hell start paying to the "ie fixes" so your site displays to most visitors.

Secondly FF does screw up some codes especially when it has to deal with FLASH!

worldman, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Tim Berners-Lee founded the W3C. He also created HTML and the world wide web. The W3C also created CSS and many of the web technologies. ALL browser vendors are members of the W3C, and participate in the writing of the standards. This includes Microsoft, Mozilla, Opera, Apple, etc.

Firefox is far, far better than IE at rendering standards compliant markup than IE ever has. If it isn't working, then you are doing something wrong. Never, ever trust IE to do the right thing. To double check, see what Opera and Safari are doing. Chances are, FF/Safari/Opera are all showing the same thing because they are the most modern, standards compliant browsers while IE is the worst browser on the planet and 10 years behind web standards.

See "Web Dev Out" and "Position Is Everything" for more information. (I can't give links yet)