1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much do you make a month through affiliate schemes?

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by Darkhodge, Mar 10, 2006.

I'm new to the internet business and don't really make much through affiliate schemes. I was just wondering how much on average other people make per month through these schemes (+ also how many visitors).

Last month I made a pathetic $50 through affiliate scheme with about 1500 visits. Mind you my site doesn't really focus on affiliate schemes but free guitar lessons instead... May be I should change the layout of my site to promote the affiliate schemes instead...

Anyway enough about my site! Tell me about yours! :)

Darkhodge, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  2. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not much :) I havent done much focusing on affiliate programs this month and have worked on banner ads from others instead.

There is a huge market out there for affiliate programs if you are willing to put the effort in.

A new site layout that is more optimised can help a great deal!

MatthewN, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  3. Darkhodge

Darkhodge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow that was a fast reply!

What sort of affiliate schemes are most profitable do you think?

As I mentioned above I promote other guitar sites to earn commissions. The commissions themselves aren't very much but I was taking the 'many sales at a low price' approach. Is this more profitable than trying to promote more expensive products?

(Did that all make sense? Sorry I'm tired from last night...)

Darkhodge, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  4. Jim Guinn

Jim Guinn Peon

Best Answers:
    I make anywhere between $4,000 to $8,000 a month on affiliate programs alone, depending on how much advertising I do. As far as visitors, I don't know. I don't keep track, but then again, I don't do most of the things the gurus tell you you have to do to be successful, like SEO, opt-in lists, adsense, etc. Maybe if I did, I could make even more, but I'm happy with this amount. In case you are wondering, I only advertise via PPC and ezine ads.

Jim

Jim Guinn, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  5. weblord

weblord Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    200bucks average for me not that high doing 8 hours of promotion daily

weblord, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  6. sunchy

sunchy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I make $$,$$$

sunchy, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  7. Darkhodge

Best Answers:
    Wow some of those amounts are great! What's the best approach to take with affiliate schemes? Should I create a site just based around 1 affiliate scheme concentrating on promotin that one exclusively or should I merge it into a site with proper content?

Darkhodge, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  8. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you answered your own question....

>>$50 through affiliate scheme with about 1500 visits. Mind you my site doesn't really focus on affiliate schemes but free guitar lessons instead

Sites that have content based around giving the users something free aren't going to generate much revenue if it requires a credit card. If people are looking for free information, they aren't in buying mode. Rather than focusing on keywords like free guitar lessons, base your new site around keywords that involve your products + buying, selling, sales, discount, cheap, etc. Adding content on top of that to help influence the buying decision makes the site worth something to the shopper.

edit: Actually looking at those numbers, it isn't that horrible. That is $0.03 per unique visitor. My best converting "sales" site does about $0.12 to $0.15 per visitor. If you could get all of those 1500 visitors to come in one day, even a free content site can provide noticable income.

TheHoff, Mar 11, 2006 IP
    daniah likes this.
  9. Darkhodge

Best Answers:
    Thanks TheHoff that was a helpful response. :)

I'll really think over for new website ideas and strategies and see how that goes. I've only been making websites for half a year so I am happy with the revenue I made last month ($50 affiliate + $85 advertisements) but obviously there's a lot more room for improvement!

While I'm on it, this month I've made $20 through advertisements, $25 through pixel sales (yes I'm one of the hundreds of ppl who run a pixel-advertisement site as well! Lol...), and $100 through content sales, which I think is pretty good for an amateur like me! :)

10. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    High X,XXX to low XX,XXX

I've been trying to make money online for about 3 years. It has only been the last few months I have figured out something that works and capitalized on it. Don't give up if you really want to be successful online. After enough reading here and testing, you will eventually be successful.

MattEvers, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  11. chrikat

chrikat Guest

Best Answers:
    DarkHodge.
    I have only been doing the affilliate thing for about a week, between kids and work.
    It seems a little confusing and have made no money. I question if I even know what I am doing.
    But after reading these post I am hopeful.

chrikat, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  12. chrikat

chrikat Guest

Best Answers:
    Just curious how much you spend on advertising a month and did you start with free ads first. Thats what I am doing but still trying to find best sites .

chrikat, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  13. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't spend anything on traffic. If you use only free traffic, there is no risk and it is all profit. If you start playing the adwords game, you can easily lose money running your first campaigns.

TheHoff, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  14. Darkhodge

Best Answers:
    I'm glad you've found this threat useful. I found the affiliate market confusing to begin with as I had no idea how I could effectly make sales. In fact I'm still trying to work it all out! :)

Concerning advertising - I used to use Google Adwords as well but found that my profit margin was still the same as when I didn't use it. I now hardly make use of adwords at all. Obviously some people may have had more success so I'm not saying you shouldn't try it but yeah, be careful and experiment a lot with it.

15. jellyfish

jellyfish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not going to lie, my affilliate sales are not that good. Maybe $10-$20 a month. I have *just* started adwords though for direct promotion of stuff so we will see how that goes. I also tend to focus on the sites where I own the product.

Have been in the business part time for about 6 months.

jellyfish, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  16. Darkhodge

Best Answers:
    My affiliate scheme this month hasn't been going great... I'm still waiting for my first sale! Lol... Anyway I've restructured my site to try and promote the affiliate sites more so we'll see how that goes.

17. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I lost A LOT of money at first. I should've read more before I took the plunge. That would be my advice. Read, read, and read some more. That is free... Making mistakes running campaigns (mistakes that could've been prevented with the right amount of research) can be very expensive.

MattEvers, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  18. lordyuanshu

lordyuanshu Peon

Best Answers:
    I have an affiliate-related question. So I have this site, lordyuanshu.com, where I write video game walkthroughs and other related material. There is a good amount of content and I have adsense and commission junction (gamefly ads) all over my site, but no luck. Would I be better served to get a new domain where I strictly advertise? Or should I vary something in lordyuanshu.com (like selling out to the more popular games/consoles in an attempt to create more traffic)? Any help would be appreciated, I'm new in the field needless to say...

lordyuanshu, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  19. chrikat

chrikat Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the encourageing work. This is all very new to me.

chrikat, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  20. KGL

KGL Peon

Best Answers:
    Schemes?
    Affiliate marketing is great, I am in the low XXX.XX after only 6 months, with just one site.

KGL, Mar 12, 2006 IP