1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much potential does this site have?

Discussion in 'Sites' started by Sham, Mar 11, 2006.

Hi folks, sadly, I have been away from these forums for a while due to the start of my "day job"

A few weeks ago, I "left" my website to sort of run itself, and have been quite impressed with the results.

I lauchned http://www.theunishop.com in January along with a few viral marketing strategies (strictly no spam, and perfectly moral!)

You can see the stats for Feb and Mar here:

http://www.theunishop.com/stats/Feb.JPG
    http://www.theunishop.com/stats/Mar.JPG

As you can see, I am generating no income at the moment, due it starting off as a hobby and something of interest. However, I have recently incurred significant bandwidth costs, and will be looking at adsense and other options over the coming days.

Are there any experts about who have seen sites similar in size and traffic as mine, and how fruitful do you think my efforts will be? Is it worth selling the site to someone who has more time?

I'd prefer to keep it, as I coded it from scratch over the course of 3 years, so it has some sentimental value!

I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers!

Sham, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  2. Sham

Sham Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hmm thats strange, my site used to be a PR4, but currently it doesnt look like it is ranked any more...

Sham, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It looks nice.

Well, the one thing I would advise, is not to sell it. I don't think you'll make much (under £500 right now), and that's if someone really wants it. I avoid these kinds of sites as to me, they're just eBay clones and never work unless they're in a niche (apart from loot.com, but they spend £££ on advertising). I think it's one of those sites that, if it gets popular, it will set the trend.

I personally, would focus on a single, or a couple of universities to build up a reputation first and get a lot of items being sold, then gradually increase into less popular universities, as it doesn't seem to have many items for trade right now. I also don't think you'll find too many people interested in buying the site in its current condition especially not people will deep pockets.

Blitz, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  4. morituri

morituri Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If you've been away for a while, then you would have missed all the drama regarding PageRank. Google's PageRank has been fluctuating wildly for a couple of weeks now.

morituri, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  5. Amilo

Amilo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    its showing as a PR4 to me in the UK.

Amilo, Mar 11, 2006 IP